PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A nice 2 round mock

I don't like it. OG is a much bigger need than TE.
We don't use our TE's anyway.

That's why I suggested substituting Vladimir Ducasse for Gronkowski.

In terms of improving the competition, OG may be more important, but NE's two TEs both were used on better than 60% of the offensive snaps, and I'd bet nearly 100% of the Special Teams' snaps - that translates into critical when you scan the depth chart. This does not lead me to advocate a first round, or even a Day Two TE in the draft, but it does make me very aware of TE prospects and how they might fit on NE's offense and Special Teams. :cool:

I agree with you but we should be able to find a solid Blocking TE in the later rounds. Why get a good receiving TE early if you don't throw to them

Sorry Mayo. I should have looked him up. I never heard of him.
thanks

He's been discussed quite a bit on this board.

Here's a profile from Scott Wright at NFLDraftcountdown, who rates him a 2nd/3rd round prospect:

Vladimir Ducasse
OT/OG - UMass
Height: 6-5
Weight: 330
40-Time: 5.35

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent size with a huge frame and long arms --- Tough, physical and aggressive --- Very strong --- Good athleticism and agility --- Quick and fires off the snap --- Light on his feet --- Gets an outstanding push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack and can anchor --- Mobile with range to pull, get out in space and reach the second level --- Is feisty and competitive with a nasty on-field demeanor --- Zealous work ethic --- Is versatile --- Durable --- Experienced --- Considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Questionable instincts and awareness --- Inconsistent leverage and pad level --- Footwork will need to be refined --- Average slide and mirror ability --- Trouble sustaining and falls off blocks --- Concentration and focus will wane at times --- Did not face a lot of quality competition.

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "DOO-cahss" --- Was a three-year starter for the Minutemen --- Born in Port Au Prince, Haiti and didn't come to the United States until 2002, when he was 14-years-old --- Earned 1st Team FCS All-American honors in 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-CAA in 2008 and 2009 --- Also fluent in French and Creole and didn't learn English until his freshman year of high school --- Was a team captain as a senior --- Could project to either tackle or guard at the next level and has experience at both positions --- Still raw and relatively new to the game but is an extremely intriguing prospect with all the physical tools as well as the top - notch intangibles needed to maximize his potential.

I agree with you but we should be able to find a solid Blocking TE in the later rounds. Why get a good receiving TE early if you don't throw to them
I want an all-round TE, good in-line blocker, good open field blocker, great hands, enough speed to get down the seam, enough wiggle to beat the Safety's coverage. If the only option was round one I'd have to consider it, but Day Three seems to have a couple options.

He's been discussed quite a bit on this board.

Here's a profile from Scott Wright at NFLDraftcountdown, who rates him a 2nd/3rd round prospect:

Vladimir Ducasse
OT/OG - UMass
Height: 6-5
Weight: 330
40-Time: 5.35

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent size with a huge frame and long arms --- Tough, physical and aggressive --- Very strong --- Good athleticism and agility --- Quick and fires off the snap --- Light on his feet --- Gets an outstanding push in the run game --- Stout at the point of attack and can anchor --- Mobile with range to pull, get out in space and reach the second level --- Is feisty and competitive with a nasty on-field demeanor --- Zealous work ethic --- Is versatile --- Durable --- Experienced --- Considerable upside.

Weaknesses:
Questionable instincts and awareness --- Inconsistent leverage and pad level --- Footwork will need to be refined --- Average slide and mirror ability --- Trouble sustaining and falls off blocks --- Concentration and focus will wane at times --- Did not face a lot of quality competition.

Notes:
Last name is pronounced "DOO-cahss" --- Was a three-year starter for the Minutemen --- Born in Port Au Prince, Haiti and didn't come to the United States until 2002, when he was 14-years-old --- Earned 1st Team FCS All-American honors in 2009 --- Named 1st Team All-CAA in 2008 and 2009 --- Also fluent in French and Creole and didn't learn English until his freshman year of high school --- Was a team captain as a senior --- Could project to either tackle or guard at the next level and has experience at both positions --- Still raw and relatively new to the game but is an extremely intriguing prospect with all the physical tools as well as the top - notch intangibles needed to maximize his potential.

You know that background somewhat reminds me of Vollmer. Being new to the game, being relatively new to the US. Having a lot of physical talents, size, and agility. Hmmm? I think I'll have to read up more on this guy. Could he be the one to replace Neal?

Wow this scouting report is BRUTAL. Says Ducasse is a 6-7th rounder or UDFA at best...

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=3970

"Projection
Has some skills and upside, but has a long, long way to go. Put in the UMaine game if you want the brutal truth on this guy and don't want to just listen to some of the hype that's out there. 6-7th round is probably where he'll go, but UDFA is where he belongs, and that is coming from a CAA scout who loves to CAA guys do well at the next level."

Last edited:
I want an all-round TE, good in-line blocker, good open field blocker, great hands, enough speed to get down the seam, enough wiggle to beat the Safety's coverage. If the only option was round one I'd have to consider it, but Day Three seems to have a couple options.

I know ya'll get tired of me saying it but... Moeaki!!!

Wow this scouting report is BRUTAL. Says Ducasse is a 6-7th rounder or UDFA at best...

Vladimir DuCasse, OT, Massachusetts

"Projection
Has some skills and upside, but has a long, long way to go. Put in the UMaine game if you want the brutal truth on this guy and don't want to just listen to some of the hype that's out there. 6-7th round is probably where he'll go, but UDFA is where he belongs, and that is coming from a CAA scout who loves to CAA guys do well at the next level."

I'm not sure what to make of that report.

Scout.com ranks Ducasse as the #31 overall prospect right now. Scott Wright from NFLdraftscountdown ranks him #26 overall. I can understand some disagreement, but it's a big step from that to a 6th-7th round prospect.

Ducasse got an invitation to the Senior Bowl, which was more than Greg Hardy got. It will be interesting to see how he fares against top competition there.

Didn't they take Jason Smith with the 2nd pick last year?

Yeah...I just woke up from a coma and forgot the last 12 months. I was thinking Long and Carriker.

Smith being there would probably nullify my post.

Yeah...I just woke up from a coma and forgot the last 12 months. I was thinking Long and Carriker.

Smith being there would probably nullify my post.

Sadly Vollmer showed more in his limited time on the field than Smith did all year.

I have to say, the overall quality of many "professional" mocks is often abysmal. Looking at some of the mocks that came out today from Walterfootball's mock database, I was struck that many had the order grossly wrong (several had the Jets picking at 21-22, with the Pats picking in the 25-28 range, for example), and several included players who did not declare for the draft. It's not exactly rocket science to fix those kind of things, and it's hard to take the choices seriously when the person doing the mock hasn't even taken the trouble to get those basic things right.

It is somewhat difficult for me to consider mocks "grossly" wrong in Janauary.

I have to say, the overall quality of many "professional" mocks is often abysmal. Looking at some of the mocks that came out today from Walterfootball's mock database, I was struck that many had the order grossly wrong (several had the Jets picking at 21-22, with the Pats picking in the 25-28 range, for example), and several included players who did not declare for the draft. It's not exactly rocket science to fix those kind of things, and it's hard to take the choices seriously when the person doing the mock hasn't even taken the trouble to get those basic things right.

I'm not sure what to make of that report.

Scout.com ranks Ducasse as the #31 overall prospect right now. Scott Wright from NFLdraftscountdown ranks him #26 overall. I can understand some disagreement, but it's a big step from that to a 6th-7th round prospect.

Ducasse got an invitation to the Senior Bowl, which was more than Greg Hardy got. It will be interesting to see how he fares against top competition there.

I'll take that scouting report with a grain of salt then. Considering how largely it conflicts with national scouting services. Then again the Pats do their own scouting and don't rely on scouting agencies. So who knows what BB is seeing on film? I'll look forward to the Senior Bowl. It's a good chance to see these prospects going against other high level prospects, most of whom will end up in the pros.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back