PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A new wrinkle was tried...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzPatsFan

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
I had advanced the proposition that there seemed to be a lot of negative plays in our running game wher the Rb was tackled for a big loss in the backfield, due to run blitzing penetrators. The solution is as old as football. The return of the lead FB. I questioned whether we had even one suitable blocking FB on the roster in the form of Heath Evans who is up to 250# or so now.

The Patriots braintrust noticed the same thing apparently. They tried a few plays with a lead FB against the Jags. I saw the formation on a total three plays. On a couple of 3rd and shorts, Dillon gained 7 and went for 6 with Evans lead blocking for him. In both cases he was beyond the FD marker before his first cut or contact, based on fine lead blocks.

Oh, and LM went for 27 and a TD with a lead FB block by Evans, too.

Three times that I saw them use it, three times that they succeeded.

Maybe Evans HAS BEEN converted from a big RB, to a FB who can actually run some too. Another new tool in the arsenal was revealed. I suspect they will use it more. And the 3 or 4 plays a game for a dozen yards of rushing losses will decline and disapear,ending the inconsistentcy of the rushing game.:D

The other wrinkle was the secret weapon, Tom Brady. When he almost took a sneak for a 6 yd TD run, I couldn't believe it. With a few of his head first runs, I saw shades of Michael Vick.......Well thats what I was humorously thinking.

I had advanced the proposition that there seemed to be a lot of negative plays in our running game wher the Rb was tackled for a big loss in the backfield, due to run blitzing penetrators. The solution is as old as football. The return of the lead FB. I questioned whether we had even one suitable blocking FB on the roster in the form of Heath Evans who is up to 250# or so now.

The Patriots braintrust noticed the same thing apparently. They tried a few plays with a lead FB against the Jags. I saw the formation on a total three plays. On a couple of 3rd and shorts, Dillon gained 7 and went for 6 with Evans lead blocking for him. In both cases he was beyond the FD marker before his first cut or contact, based on fine lead blocks.

Maybe Evans HAS BEEN converted from a big RB, to a FB who can actually run some too. Another new tool in the arsenal was revealed. I suspect they will use it more. And the 3 or 4 plays a game for a dozen yards of rushing losses will decline and disapear,ending the inconsistentcy of the rushing game.:D
Evans has consistently been in for about 20% of all offensive snaps, the difference in the Jags game was a passing attack that was up to the challenge.

Good points.I was very happy to see Maroney's acceleration when he got into the clear on the TD run,maybe it was just me ,but I was impressed by the burst,kind of suprised it didnt get more mention from the announcers.....(probably shouldnt have been,Dan Dierdorf seems a little dense....:) ...

I don't see how them trying a few plays with a fb was a new wrinkle. we've watched this i formation all season long get blown up. Fortuantely yesterday it was productive.

we must also remember brady caught them napping a few times with the q-b sneak causing the tackles to move inside causing gaps between the ends and tackles.

I'd say the blocking was very good in general yesterday except for a few moments Spicer caused some havoc.

They shouldn't go to the well too often on the I-formation and especially the inside traps with the TE wham blocking.

During the week after the Dolphins game disaster I saw a show, I think was on NFL Network. They showed Kaczur on a few plays tipping whether it was run or pass. He'd be in his 3 pt stance and lean back slightly on pass plays and lean forward some on run plays. It was enough to be obvious. I don't know if he's corrected it, which is likely from watching film, but little things like that can make a difference and are all part of execution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back