PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A New Farm Team For the PATS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSolderKing

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Urban Meyer back into College Football would be a grandeur thing for both Meyer and Belichick. The 2 have always had a respectful relationship and BB has valued Meyer's insight over the years. The PATS having such an option open to us/them definitely makes Draft Day a more special occasion. Need I mention past Florida players like Jackson? Or should I be bias and focus only on the successful present picks of Hernandez, Cunningham, Spikes?

Meyer is more powerful to the Patriots than most of you know.

In Meyer's tenure at Florida, BB selected 5 players from Florida!

3 in one year, 2 in another! If he selected a player from Florida in the last 5 drafts, then I can see why people would say it!

But only in 2 drafts, can't see it!

BB doesn't just listen to Meyer, he has connections everywhere! The Meyer one just became more publicised because of the Spikes/Cunningham/Hernandez picks!

Last edited:

3 in one year, 2 in another! If he selected a player from Florida in the last 5 drafts, then I can see why people would say it!

BB doesn't just listen to Meyer, he has connections everywhere! The Meyer one just became more publicized because of the Spikes/Cunningham/Hernandez picks!

There's no doubt BB has been close to Meyer and no doubt he favors players from schools where he has friends. Saban players, the guy at Fresno State etc.

Since most of the top players are scouted extensively, this often is more advantageous for lower round picks.

There's no doubt BB has been close to Meyer and no doubt he favors players from schools where he has friends. Saban players, the guy at Fresno State etc.

This is what I am saying, but the connection of Meyer is just more publicized.

Maybe, but it's not a casual connection. It's pretty similar to the level of Saban in recent years, so that's close. I mean those guys spent extensive time together every off season, so it's likely they will continues that dialogue.

There are lots of other coaches BB has worked with and tapped for draft info that are likely not close friends, which I think Meyer is.

Weis is at UF now so all is good.

OSU by no surprise is not naming a coach until NEXT year. Smart, for obvious reasons. Meyer will be back NEXT yr. no Doubts.:)

I challenge your claim that the Meyer/BB connection was only noted after we took 3 players in a row. It was a connection 3 years or so before this last influx of Florida gator talent.

Meyer is a necessary coach for the future Patriot drafts.:)

OSU by no surprise is not naming a coach until NEXT year. Smart, for obvious reasons. Meyer will be back NEXT yr. no Doubts.:)

I challenge your claim that the Meyer/BB connection was only noted after we took 3 players in a row. It was a connection 3 years or so before this last influx of Florida gator talent.

Meyer is a necessary coach for the future Patriot drafts.:)

I know that it has been noted before, but their are other coaches that he has a connection with, but they aren't farm teams!

So in answer to your question in the title... no!

At the very least, I suspect that most noted the connection when BB installed the spread offense. :idea2:

Last edited:
Personally I doubt Meyer will return to coaching college football despite all the current speculation that he will take over at Ohio State. I think at most he'll work full time as an analyst for one of the networks.

As for the Meyer - Belichick connection, to the best of my knowledge this is it; I'm not aware of any undrafted free agents from Meyer's schools that the Pats have signed that made the roster during BB's time here either.

2001 - Bowling Green - none
2002 - Bowling Green - none
2003 - Utah - none
2004 - Utah - none
2005 - Florida - none
2006 - Florida - Chad Jackson, Jeremy Mincey
2007 - Florida - none
2008 - Florida - none
2009 - Florida - none
2010 - Florida - Jermaine Cunningham, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Spikes

There have been several other Florida Gators that played for the Pats under Belichick (Guss Scott, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelvin Kight, Fred Taylor, Gerard Warren) but they were all there prior to Meyer's arrival in Gainesville.

Although Meyer the head coach can offer more insight on a specific player, Meyer the analyst can offer insight to Belichick on a larger quantity of players. This may actually be just as useful, if not even more so - almost like an additional scout on the staff.

Coaches--particularly in the amatuer ranks--share information freely. There is something in coaches natures where they can't help sharing the ins and outs of their systems to those that make pilgramages to their place in the off season. College coaches will often go see what an intriguing high school or smaller college program is doing. It makes sense that BB would visit colleges that have had success. College is turning out a different type of athlete now. You have to be able to use some principals of those systems at the next level to harness the talents of those players.

BB doesn't just listen to Meyer, he has connections everywhere! The Meyer one just became more publicised because of the Spikes/Cunningham/Hernandez picks!

I do think that there's something to be said for the value of insight that he can contribute re: SEC players in general. Meyer's teams prepare for and play the most talented teams in college football several times per year, and those coaches should be able to contribute insight that would be valuable to someone like Belichick. He could also offer insight as far as who not to draft, for all we know. Not saying that the relationship is necessarily a goldmine for Belichick, but there are a lot of ways that it could benefit the team that don't tie directly back to how many UF players we've drafted. Whether or not that's actually the case... who knows.

Last edited:
Did I miss something?

Is Urban Meyer coming back to coaching?

I mean, who in their right mind would resign from Florida in an attempt to try and clean up the mess in Columbus? The NCAA is about to drop the hammer on them, for goodness sake. What's the point? What does he gain?

Maybe I'm nieve. I believe him when he says he's out for a while. And a while is much longer than one year.

Did I miss something?

Is Urban Meyer coming back to coaching?

I mean, who in their right mind would resign from Florida in an attempt to try and clean up the mess in Columbus? The NCAA is about to drop the hammer on them, for goodness sake. What's the point? What does he gain?

Maybe I'm nieve. I believe him when he says he's out for a while. And a while is much longer than one year.

He will be back NEXT YEAR:singing:

who wouldn't go back home and inherit such a prestigious KINGDOM? The situation behooves Meyer and the college to make a PACT.:rocker::cool::rocker:

Meyer saw hope dwindle ever since he LOST Newton. Yes People Cam Newton was suppose to be Tebow's successor, but he was kicked out of school for multiple acts of plagiarism. Newton did win Heisman and would have dominated at Florida.

Bolded it for Truth my passage^

Meyer will join BIG 10 and escape the brutally awesome SEC.:roc
1 year and Urban is back:)

Last edited:
He will be back NEXT YEAR:singing:

who wouldn't go back home and inherit such a prestigious KINGDOM? The situation behooves Meyer and the college to make a PACT.:rocker::cool::rocker:

Meyer saw hope dwindle ever since he LOST Newton. Yes People Cam Newton was suppose to be Tebow's successor, but he was kicked out of school for multiple acts of plagiarism. Newton did win Heisman and would have dominated at Florida.

Meyer will join BIG 10 and escape the brutally awesome SEC.:roc
1 year and Urban is back:)

Are you Urban Meyer? Or his wife or a child of his?

Are you Urban Meyer? Or his wife or a child of his?

Doubt? I smell ur stench.

Meyer will take 1 yr off and be BACK... He will go "Home" You do know he worked for OSU as a player/positiions coach right?

I don't want to talk about the family... No way they turn this down. This has HOLLYWOOD ending all over it, but you have DOUBTS.:)

you do know when this inevitable truth happens I will never let it go over you

:cool:

Personally I doubt Meyer will return to coaching college football despite all the current speculation that he will take over at Ohio State. I think at most he'll work full time as an analyst for one of the networks.

As for the Meyer - Belichick connection, to the best of my knowledge this is it; I'm not aware of any undrafted free agents from Meyer's schools that the Pats have signed that made the roster during BB's time here either.

2001 - Bowling Green - none
2002 - Bowling Green - none
2003 - Utah - none
2004 - Utah - none
2005 - Florida - none
2006 - Florida - Chad Jackson, Jeremy Mincey
2007 - Florida - none
2008 - Florida - none
2009 - Florida - none
2010 - Florida - Jermaine Cunningham, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Spikes

There have been several other Florida Gators that played for the Pats under Belichick (Guss Scott, Reche Caldwell, Jabar Gaffney, Kelvin Kight, Fred Taylor, Gerard Warren) but they were all there prior to Meyer's arrival in Gainesville.

Although Meyer the head coach can offer more insight on a specific player, Meyer the analyst can offer insight to Belichick on a larger quantity of players. This may actually be just as useful, if not even more so - almost like an additional scout on the staff.

BINGO well said!!! The doubters refuse to acknowledge this Fact. You saved me another post... good thing I juist went back.

Doubt? I smell ur stench.

Meyer will take 1 yr off and be BACK... He will go "Home" You do know he worked for OSU as a player/positiions coach right?

I don't want to talk about the family... No way they turn this down. This has HOLLYWOOD ending all over it, but you have DOUBTS.:)

you do know when this inevitable truth happens I will never let it go over you

:cool:

That's fine! All I will say, if you are right then...

a_winner_is_you.jpg

I imagine that Meyer gave glowing reviews of Jerod Mayo. . . . ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back