PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A new CB will decide this teams fate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh, I might suggest another quality receiver is also required. Branch is old but he can probably continue to contribute. Welker should get his deal, nobody catches everything, though Wes almost always does. Ocho has got to be jettisoned and I was hoping all year for him but he sat around, picked up his checks and did pretty much nothing. Fill his roster spot with a first class FA receiver. PLEASE.....

Defense wins championships.

If Gronk had been fully fit nobody would be talking about needs for next year, they would all be talking about the Patriots winning the Superbowl.

Our defense only gave up 21 points. Our offense struggled and the reason for that is above. So we need to have better WRs. We need another matchup nightmare for defenses and for me thats a big guy on the outside.

The season would be over even if the Patriots had won the Super Bowl 45-0. We would still be looking at team needs.

Dowling looked good for 1 game?

McCourty looked good for 16 games last season. The Pats secondary is the weakest area on the team. Too much "hope and change" is riding on Dowling.

Where are the mixed reviews?

No offense but Grimes isn't even close (Hall, Haden, Bailey, Gamble, Joseph, etc etc). We don't need more CBs. We need to develop the ones we have. Depth and leadership at safety is a much bigger concern.

As a shutdown I hold Grimes over Joseph and Gamble...Joseph probably best corner in NFL against deep balls, but not that good in the short passing game.
Bailey sure maybe but not a future CB. Haden is great.

I like Grimes, great tackler, usually in good position to defend passes and rarely gives up big plays.

I don't like PFF's ranking but the stats (thrown at, receptions, yards, YAC, pass defended) they coming up with usually is quite accurate.

Look, I really don't care whether you choose to believe me or not. I'm only telling you on account of you being new here. PFF's rankings have been widely criticized around here and elsewhere, and that's something you should probably bear in mind before you cite them.

I'm not new, i was registered before yourself..

LOL! Thats why five nfl teams, including the giants, pay for regular reports from PFF....

PFF blows. It's been demonstrated time and again.

McCourty looked good for 16 games last season. The Pats secondary is the weakest area on the team. Too much "hope and change" is riding on Dowling.
The day he was drafted he came with the Fragile handle with care sicker attached. A number of posters said it wasn't true, but so far it has been I wouldn't count on IR Dowling at all to save the day, when he can't seem to save himself from the IR.

I'm not new, i was registered before yourself..

I was looking at your post count. But you're quite right, though, I'm not sure that reflects well if you knew all of this already.

So we keep on spending rescourcss on a position because we haven't found the next revis? Like I said, upgrade the front 4 with some real talent and add one piece to the secondary.

This league only has one shutdown CB with Revis. I can't put a 34 year old Bailey with him and Nnamdii regressed in the Eagles defense.

In today's NFL, it's almost impossible to be a shutdown CB. For all the respect I have for Revis, it's obvious on numerous replays he does the "Revis hold".

So yeah, go with what we have, four CBs less than 26 years old.

Last edited:
A good CB isn't what this defense needs. We need a DT that gets pressure inside. Right now we have two DTs that play the sponge position. We need a DT that can penetrate (doubling Wilfork = game over) and a really athletic DE and our secondary will look great. This secondary is young. We need a vet or two to lead these guys and thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back