PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A must win for Patriots in Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
...this will tell me who the Patriots are, because to me it's the passion and character that has been missing from this team alll season long.

...Missing in several big games, that's for certain. I'm with you here - the games they've lost haven't much looked like a lack of talent, or depth, or coaching; the loses have looked much more like a team missing "passion" and "character." So, this game becomes a 'must win' for the team to finally convince itself it has the guts and gumption to stand up and beat them all - a feeling they rarely doubted two years ago.

good post, frankiesfly.

We didn't beat Jax last year, they beat themselves. Leftwich and Gerrard both threw picks and although they have the tallest receivers in the league, not one pass by either QB was thrown over shoulder high, except to Jones in the end zone, defensed by Poteat. Jax matches up against us even better than the Bears, if this is a must win, we're in big trouble. Better save the bullets for Tenn. We won't beat Jax, but they might beat themselves once again.

I hate "MUST WIN" threads. For one they make no sense and also we well know the Patriots never approach any game as a "must win" or "doesn't matter".

To me this is a must win for the patriots.
People sure throw the "must win" stuff around liberally.

Why "must" they win?

They can lose Sunday, and still win the superbowl this year.

Of course, it would be nice if they won, so they could rest thier starters against the Titans, but they don't need to win the Jags game.

We didn't beat Jax last year, they beat themselves.

We won't beat Jax, but they might beat themselves once again.
This is even dumber that "must win."

Leftwich and Gerrard both threw picks and although they have the tallest receivers in the league, not one pass by either QB was thrown over shoulder high, except to Jones in the end zone, defensed by Poteat.
Not true, but so what if it was? We scored 28 points. If we weren't playing conservatively with a big lead, it could have been 48.

There is more to playing WR than being tall, and good defense forces offensive mistakes.

I'm sorry to be such a jerk, but the original post brings to light some of the most annoying tendencies of fans (and the sports analysts who brainwash fans).

A must-win game is a game that you must win to make the playoffs. This is not a must-win game. Even if the Patriots lose they still win the division and make the playoffs if 1) they win their last game, or 2) the Jets lose either of their last two games. And even if they lose both remaining games and the Jets win both the Pats still have a chance at a wild-card.

Calling this a must-win is spoiled and stupid. A must-win game means that if you lose you stand no chance at the playoffs. I know it is often hard to keep this in mind when the morons at ESPN are referring to week 6 games as must-win, but please try to rise above their level.

Oh I read the crap about how this is a must-win for momentum blah blah blah. Momentum is one of those wonderful little sports stupidities. When a team has been winning and (big surprise) continues winning then it is momentum. When a team backs into the playoffs and starts winning they get credited with having the ability to "flip the switch on." When a team wins some and loses some on the way to the playoffs, well, no one notices because it isn't out of the ordinary.

I'll believe that a coin always flips heads if I only recall the times it comes up heads.

How do all of you believers in momentum explain the Detroit Tigers? They backed into the playoffs and had lost all momentum. They were left for dead. They go ahead and win two playoff series, winning 7 games in a row, and have crazy momentum going. Then they go out and lay a big stinky turd against a 82-win team (in a crappy National League), a team which would have finished at best 4th in Detroit's own division. They are a perfect case study in just how ******ed the notion of momentum really is.

The simple truth of momentum is this: team's on win streaks tend to be good teams. Good teams tend to win. Therefore, teams with momentum tend to continue winning.

The other thing that bugs me about the original post was the crap about this year's Pats team lacking the heart of past teams. Heart is another one of those stupid things which magically shows up when you win and suddenly disappears when you lose.

Why did the '01 Patriots win the super bowl? Was it heart? Or was it a combination of a great coaching, great defense, a really good QB, a great kicker, other teams sucking (Raiders not being able to put snow game away, Rams refusing the deviate from a gameplan which wasn't working) and all kinds of luck?

Why did last year's team lose in Denver? Did they lack heart? Or did they just fail to execute enough while the luck went the other way (refs screwing up two big calls = bad luck, just like refs getting the tuck rule correct was good luck)?

Go back and watch the '01 team. There were plenty of times they failed to execute. They failed to convert 3rd downs and missed tackles. They won the games though so it's all forgotten.

If this year's team doesn't win it isn't for lack of heart. It'll be due to lack of execution, lesser coaching (compared to when they had Weis), and maybe either the luck going the other way or the other team stepping up to win the game.

But the mediots will point to a lack of heart and the dumb sheep will nod their head in agreement.

Again, sorry to be such a longwinded raging jerk here. It isn't really aimed at any individual as a personal attack, though I am attacking some people's words so feel free to tell me where to shove it. This stuff just pisses me off sometimes.

I'm sorry to be such a jerk, but the original post brings to light some of the most annoying tendencies of fans (and the sports analysts who brainwash fans).

A must-win game is a game that you must win to make the playoffs. This is not a must-win game. Even if the Patriots lose they still win the division and make the playoffs if 1) they win their last game, or 2) the Jets lose either of their last two games. And even if they lose both remaining games and the Jets win both the Pats still have a chance at a wild-card.

Calling this a must-win is spoiled and stupid. A must-win game means that if you lose you stand no chance at the playoffs. I know it is often hard to keep this in mind when the morons at ESPN are referring to week 6 games as must-win, but please try to rise above their level.

Oh I read the crap about how this is a must-win for momentum blah blah blah. Momentum is one of those wonderful little sports stupidities. When a team has been winning and (big surprise) continues winning then it is momentum. When a team backs into the playoffs and starts winning they get credited with having the ability to "flip the switch on." When a team wins some and loses some on the way to the playoffs, well, no one notices because it isn't out of the ordinary.

I'll believe that a coin always flips heads if I only recall the times it comes up heads.

How do all of you believers in momentum explain the Detroit Tigers? They backed into the playoffs and had lost all momentum. They were left for dead. They go ahead and win two playoff series, winning 7 games in a row, and have crazy momentum going. Then they go out and lay a big stinky turd against a 82-win team (in a crappy National League), a team which would have finished at best 4th in Detroit's own division. They are a perfect case study in just how ******ed the notion of momentum really is.

The simple truth of momentum is this: team's on win streaks tend to be good teams. Good teams tend to win. Therefore, teams with momentum tend to continue winning.

The other thing that bugs me about the original post was the crap about this year's Pats team lacking the heart of past teams. Heart is another one of those stupid things which magically shows up when you win and suddenly disappears when you lose.

Why did the '01 Patriots win the super bowl? Was it heart? Or was it a combination of a great coaching, great defense, a really good QB, a great kicker, other teams sucking (Raiders not being able to put snow game away, Rams refusing the deviate from a gameplan which wasn't working) and all kinds of luck?

Why did last year's team lose in Denver? Did they lack heart? Or did they just fail to execute enough while the luck went the other way (refs screwing up two big calls = bad luck, just like refs getting the tuck rule correct was good luck)?

Go back and watch the '01 team. There were plenty of times they failed to execute. They failed to convert 3rd downs and missed tackles. They won the games though so it's all forgotten.

If this year's team doesn't win it isn't for lack of heart. It'll be due to lack of execution, lesser coaching (compared to when they had Weis), and maybe either the luck going the other way or the other team stepping up to win the game.

But the mediots will point to a lack of heart and the dumb sheep will nod their head in agreement.

Again, sorry to be such a longwinded raging jerk here. It isn't really aimed at any individual as a personal attack, though I am attacking some people's words so feel free to tell me where to shove it. This stuff just pisses me off sometimes.

Hey, better to be a truth-bearing jerk than a stubborn ass-wipe. Any day.

Execution or lack thereof is sometimes too simple an answer for many fans and the talking heads.

A MUST Win? Yes! must win to make the playoffs ... no ... but
a must win ... to solidify their confidence .. yes.

The memory of the Miami game still lingers. The Texans game while nice
was not still leaves doubt the offense can do very well against very good
defenses. Jags are a very good defense. If PATs can come in here and move the ball
well it will be a very big thing.

If PATs can come in here and make a few long drives and put up 20 or
more offensive points then .... it will remove any doubts about their
offense ability.

Jags have one of the best defenses going ... even better
than Miami. A win here will counter the negative vibes from the Miami game
.... big time and at just the right time. In fact if the offense looks good
this week .... my bet is they are headed to SB XLI.

Must WIN ... yes!

Hey, better to be a truth-bearing jerk than a stubborn ass-wipe. Any day.

Execution or lack thereof is sometimes too simple an answer for many fans and the talking heads.
Well spoken Clonamery, a brilliant fulmination from Mr. Goat - I applaud you sir! :rocker:

I think the term "must-win" is cliche, and not necessarily the appropriate term for this game, but I agree that it's pretty damn important. Let's face it, to achieve our ultimate goal, we're going to have to beat good teams on the road. At this point in the season, it's important for a team to develop a swagger, and establish confidence from beating good teams. We have a great opportunity to close with a bang by making statements in beating the Jaguars, and a red-hot Tennessee team. These games are what an inconsistent team can use to propel themselves into a long playoff run. While technically not a "must-win", this game should tell us a lot about the make-up of our squad.

That said, I think we take it to the Jags, something to the tune of 27-10.

Literally this is obviously not a must win game, however in the mindset of this team it is. They have to win....this Sunday....in Jacksonville.

Period.

Agreed. As much as I want to believe the old magic will somehow return in the playoffs,I think it's VERY important for them to string a couple of wins together,especially one over Jax,in their house where the Jags have been lights out. Our Pats need the confidence that would bring and they need to find the so far elusive rhythm and consistency necessary to avoid being one and done in January. And though not impossible, it doesn't look solid for the bye.
IMO this game is huge. Yes it will help if the Jests lose,but it's more important that our Pats find their mojo. That way,it won't matter as much who else wins or loses;we'll be ready for whoever shows up.
**I'm confident we'll take the division,but the mere fact it's even remotely possible we may not,has me way out of my comfort zone lol.
GO PATS!

I think the term "must-win" is cliche, and not necessarily the appropriate term for this game, but I agree that it's pretty damn important. Let's face it, to achieve our ultimate goal, we're going to have to beat good teams on the road. At this point in the season, it's important for a team to develop a swagger, and establish confidence from beating good teams. We have a great opportunity to close with a bang by making statements in beating the Jaguars, and a red-hot Tennessee team. These games are what an inconsistent team can use to propel themselves into a long playoff run. While technically not a "must-win", this game should tell us a lot about the make-up of our squad.

That said, I think we take it to the Jags, something to the tune of 27-10.

Maybe it won't. We have lots of guys questionable for the game. If Wilfork is out and the Jags #2 RB plays they might be able to run on us, especially so if Vrabes is hurting too. That problem on our part would not indicate we're a bad team, just a wounded one. There are several other examples.

The Pats are wounded right now. The coach is evaluating who should and should not play. I don't envy him the decision, considering that 'success' means a 4 game playoff run.

Oh, and those games, not Sunday's, are 'must' wins.

Agreed. As much as I want to believe the old magic will somehow return in the playoffs,I think it's VERY important for them to string a couple of wins together,especially one over Jax,in their house where the Jags have been lights out. Our Pats need the confidence that would bring and they need to find the so far elusive rhythm and consistency necessary to avoid being one and done in January. And though not impossible, it doesn't look solid for the bye.
IMO this game is huge. Yes it will help if the Jests lose,but it's more important that our Pats find their mojo. That way,it won't matter as much who else wins or loses;we'll be ready for whoever shows up.
**I'm confident we'll take the division,but the mere fact it's even remotely possible we may not,has me way out of my comfort zone lol.
GO PATS!

A lack of confidence from Pats fans? Actually, these are some of the better posts that I've seen- realistic. The Jags have played very well at home this year. Our #2 ranked D is closer to #1 than #3 & we play much better at home. If Taylor is able to play, it could be a long day for Pats fans in Jacksonville. Someone pegged it in this thread when they noted that Jacksonville can beat themselves. We have marginal receivers that are not on the same page as Garrard (our #2 QB) most of the time.

That said- this is Jacksonville's first playoff game...it's single elimination for the Jags. This should be a very good football game!

http://www.jagnation.com/

A lack of confidence from Pats fans? Actually, these are some of the better posts that I've seen- realistic. The Jags have played very well at home this year. Our #2 ranked D is closer to #1 than #3 & we play much better at home. If Taylor is able to play, it could be a long day for Pats fans in Jacksonville. Someone pegged it in this thread when they noted that Jacksonville can beat themselves. We have marginal receivers that are not on the same page as Garrard (our #2 QB) most of the time.

That said- this is Jacksonville's first playoff game...it's single elimination for the Jags. This should be a very good football game!

A competitive game no doubt, especially as the two clubs are sort of mirroring each other - top D's, good running games, weak passing games, I know your KR unit was rocking and rolling with Lil' Mo, but what about the rest of your special teams? That may be where we can hope for an edge...

(when have we ever lost to Jacksonville?)

In the 1998 playoffs. Replacing an injured Drew Bledsoe as starter, Scott Zolak did what he almost always did - suck. They lose 25-10, but it wasn't even that close.

BTW, how does Zolak have a job talking Patriots football - was Eason or Marc Wilson not available?

Anyway, whereas this is technically not a must-win (or go home) game, does anyone really want to wake up on Tuesday morning, brew some tea (I don't drink coffee), and then read about the possibility of the Patriots not only not hosting a playoff game, but also not even making the playoffs? I know I don't. Thanks to dumbass losses to the dolts, jest and dolfags, this is now what it is. Do whatever it takes to win on Christmas Eve, then rest up on New Year's Eve. Take no chances - don't leave it up to the doofins, faiders or 49ers.

sorry, but you lose credibility when you rank defense by yards allowed. I know it makes your team look better, and I know that morons at ESPN probably use it, but rise above and rank defense by the only thing that matters - points. besides, #4 is nothing to be ashamed of.

While it's an important win, it's not a must. Were we to lose we still have 1 more game which would be a must win.

We may lose to the Jags for the simple reason that too may key positions are really banged up and best rested if you assume you're going to the playoffs. Rushing guys back too soon only to aggravate an injury could be a recipe for a 1st round loss. Tough tradeoffs for the coach Sunday.

While I think that BB tries to win every game, realistically there are strategic considerations at play here. Is it better to allow the wounded another week to fully heal, and be sure to have them for the playoffs? Or is it better to go for it, and perhaps wins or possibly lose to a winning club at their home field, and not have the banged up players for the playoffs?

A win would allow them to rest against the Titans, but a loss would still require a Titans all out game; no rest, and perhaps reveal too much game planning to Jax who they would probably face again in the playoffs. Playin gthe wounded too soon in an attempt to win might make thenm unavailable should the be needed at Tennessee, as well.

Which is the more prudent course?

The objective after all, is to get to the playoffs and then win four games there.:confused:

I thought every game is a must-win? Correct me if I am wrong, but I have never heard of a team going into a game thinking that it's okay to lose. Too bad the offense wouldn't recover fast enough to lift us over the Jags.

While I think that BB tries to win every game, realistically there are strategic considerations at play here. Is it better to allow the wounded another week to fully heal, and be sure to have them for the playoffs? Or is it better to go for it, and perhaps wins or possibly lose to a winning club at their home field, and not have the banged up players for the playoffs?

A win would allow them to rest against the Titans, but a loss would still require a Titans all out game; no rest, and perhaps reveal too much game planning to Jax who they would probably face again in the playoffs. Playin gthe wounded too soon in an attempt to win might make thenm unavailable should the be needed at Tennessee, as well.

Which is the more prudent course?

The objective after all, is to get to the playoffs and then win four games there.:confused:

Good points AZ. In fact, you bring up what BB has to consider this weekend...Roll the dice with the wounded and go for it Sunday or nurse the wounded 1 more week and gamble possibly everything against an improving Titans team that would love nothing more than to knock off a contender?

The answer IMO is for BB to go for it this weekend. Your playing a team with a back-up QB who has shown that he makes bad decisions and is playing with the knowledge that if he screws up this weekend then there is no playoffs. Not the kind of pressure he wants to be feeling. And the kind of situation where a coach would start calling more running plays.....more to our strength.

We might get our butts kicked sunday but I doubt it. We'll be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back