PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A month later, checking the pulse of Pats nation

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
So, I've been gone for several weeks now. I have been paying attention to Pats news off and on, mostly off - but I have been cheating on my Pats holiday as it is.

But the news of the Saints and all that got me back into things a little - as twisted as that sounds, someone else taking some grief from the football world was a bit of a relief.

Yet, a month later, after what was another failed attempt to make the Patriots & football a much smaller part of my life, the sting of the loss hasn't lessened too much, nor has my interest in the game.

I am truly proud of what this team accomplished this past season - and grateful of being able to watch a team that competes at such a high level. However, I haven't shook that feeling of being THAT close - and really feeling genuinely bad for guys like Kraft, Belichick, Vince, Brady, Wes, etc. who really wanted & needed this. (Those young guys will get another shot, they took this one for granted, I'm looking at you dancing Rob Gronkowski).

Of course, then I think, really: why am I feeling bad for millionaires who have experienced repeated successes in their lives? Seriously. I have my own problems to worry about far heavier than winning a game. However, this brief dose of perspective fades over time and I end up daydreaming about what it would've felt like had Wes and Brady connected, had Brady not thrown it up to Gronk, had Chung or Moore made a play down the sideline. It's too easy to envision that game turning out the way we wanted it to - and my imagination is far to great not to let it go there.

Since spygate, I've been obsessed with this team getting the last laugh. Maybe that won't happen. Maybe I shouldn't care.

So, how is everyone feeling a month later? Has everyone moved on to 2012? Are we just happy the team is in a good position going forward?

Last edited:
We made the superbowl in a year where the defense was rebuilding and came damn close to winning it. Can't complain about it much. It isn't like 07 where we blew immortality.

We made the superbowl in a year where the defense was rebuilding and came damn close to winning it. Can't complain about it much. It isn't like 07 where we blew immortality.

This is how I've tried to feel. Unfortunately, I'm nuts, so it doesn't last. But I envy your perspective.

Objectively, it was one of Belichick's greatest accomplishments.

I feel like 2012 season can't come fast enough. This team is only getting better and we should get another shot at the Super Bowl. Every lose hurts but looking back at 5 appearances and its hard to feel to bad.

Since spygate, I've been obsessed with this team getting the last laugh. Maybe that won't happen. Maybe I shouldn't care.

I came to this realization while daydreaming the other day. I, also, have been dying for this team to win it all one more time as an FU to every single hater fan (whiny Steeler crybabies, I am looking at you) and player (whiny Steeler crybabies, I am again looking at you). But this just may not be in the cards for us.

Yeah, it's great that this team is set up to do well every year and I am sure this coming season will have some very high high's. The odds of them winning another Super Bowl, or even getting to another one, with Brady and Belichick are pretty slim, though.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but at the end of the day I have 3 DVD's that show the Patriots winning the Super Bowl. I would have been perfectly fine with just the 2001 win.

I came to this realization while daydreaming the other day. I, also, have been dying for this team to win it all one more time as an FU to every single hater fan (whiny Steeler crybabies, I am looking at you) and player (whiny Steeler crybabies, I am again looking at you). But this just may not be in the cards for us.

Yeah, it's great that this team is set up to do well every year and I am sure this coming season will have some very high high's. The odds of them winning another Super Bowl, or even getting to another one, with Brady and Belichick are pretty slim, though.

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but at the end of the day I have 3 DVD's that show the Patriots winning the Super Bowl. I would have been perfectly fine with just the 2001 win.

I agree completely though I have to add the amendment of "until Spygate happened." It changed everything in my mind.

And I agree, the window is closing - which probably only further fuels the anxiety and frustration when they get as close as they just did. They could win a SB in ten years, but it won't have any connection to the Brady-Belichick duo, and to spygate. For me, ever since we were docked that 1st round pick, like you say - its all about getting that FU to the haters.

And you're right, maybe it won't happen - and maybe that's really OK.

I thought this was one of the grittiest Pats teams yet - and I am proud of the way they played. It was one of those defeats where I thought a team really went down fighting, and played the right way until the end. I really thought on both sides of the ball, we played well enough to win. The lack of possessions condensed the game, and the game really felt like half a game - but generally well executed on both sides. The Giants had the last real possession of relevance again, and it decided the game. That's how it is.

It reminded me of the Celts last failed attempt at a title, losing to the Lakers in Game 7. Heartbreaking, no doubt - but you walked away thinking, damn - I can't believe they made it that far. It was an impressive run. It is possible to be heroic in defeat.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in earlier post, I completely stopped watching sports related content in newspapers, TV and radio. I have been simply reading/following posts in this forum not posting much, as usual.

I kinda got over the pats loss depression but still in the " football is 7 months away" depression ;)

Hope free agency brings in some new energy to kick off this year.

Last edited:
I'm over the SB loss and looking forward to the 2012 season.

On one hand, I'm having a hard time trying not to act like spoiled brat. In my mind, the needs this team has are very clear to me (secondary en mas, OLB, pass rush on the d-line, WR, upgrade RB) and the issue is that if in my mind they don't fill them, we'll be in for another outstanding regular season and a playoff disappointment.

On the other hand another 13-3 regular season and playoff run should be nothing to sneeze at.

The problem is that from Kraft to BB to Brady, that is the standard this organization has set for itself. As fans, that is our standard too, right or wrong.

I'm at peace with the loss, and I think the team still has a bright future. If this team has a couple of good hits in the draft and a couple more in FA, it could be domminant. With so many teams in cap hell, so many good free agents and a wealth of draft picks, this offseason has great potential.

The loss boiled down to Gronk being a non factor and nobody really stepping up to fill his shoes in the passing game.

Honestly, if this team had lost to the Packers or 49ers I wouldn't have felt as terrible. Would it have been bad? Of course it would, but it'd sure as hell beat losing to the same team that beat us four years ago, and having too endure a relentless stream of trash talking by Giants fans/players and the NY media. However even with the SB loss, I still consider this a fantastic season, and I'd much rather get to the big game and lose then not get there at all. The fact that a team with as many flaws as this was able to come within a few plays of a 4th SB in the Brady/Belichick era is just a testament to how great this organization is. I'm definitely optimistic for the coming season and really look forward to seeing how this team will address it's weaknesses.

I've given up caring about the past, and now live in the present and future. I also have given up caring what records, accomplishments or accolades Brady accumulates on his way to the HOF. All of it is irrelevent to my enjoyment. I would be just as happy having 2001 Brady with his quick release and accuracy. He can keep his records until he retires.

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't trade records with us. I would hate for it to end like the run Buffalo had. But when all is said and done football will still be here, filling my weekends and pissing my wife off. Just waiting to see her reaction to Thursday night football.:D

The season's over. The Patriots came within a drive (and possibly a high ankle sprain) of winning the Super Bowl in a year where the defense was the worst of the Belichick era. The AFC competition is mostly getting older and weaker, while the Patriots are getting younger everywhere except QB and NT. They've also got a nice amount of cap space to use and they've got plenty of ammunition for the draft.

I'm looking forward to the next year, and I'm just hoping that BB takes advantage of the situation instead of trying to out think the league.

The season's over. The Patriots came within a drive (and possibly a high ankle sprain) of winning the Super Bowl in a year where the defense was the worst of the Belichick era. The AFC competition is mostly getting older and weaker, while the Patriots are getting younger everywhere except QB and NT. They've also got a nice amount of cap space to use and they've got plenty of ammunition for the draft.

I'm looking forward to the next year, and I'm just hoping that BB takes advantage of the situation instead of trying to out think the league.

...to me this translates into, spend money and draft picks. Not, save a ton of cap space and trade down in the draft and stockpile picks.

...to me this translates into, spend money and draft picks. Not, save a ton of cap space and trade down in the draft and stockpile picks.

That's not how my translator works. There are times when trading down is great, and times when it's stupid. As for saving cap space, those days are gone, due to the CBA.

Here's all we need to win the next super bowl - pick any two of the following, assuming the competition is roughly the same as last year:

1. a little more luck with injuries than last year
  2. for some of the young players on defense to get a little better
  3. to shore up the pass defense EITHER in the backfield OR with more pressure on the QB
  4. improve EITHER the running game or deep passing game

#1 is always a toss up.
#2 is probable.
#3 is likely.
#4 is possible.

So I'm pretty happy with that situation.

Last edited:
I can't see how getting a WR that demands safety help on deep routes doesn't mean a more dangerous passing game....going the other direction, a strong top tier runner, I have to think defenses playing the Ryan amoeba strategy would have a field day stoning the inside gaps by just being in the vicinity with so many players.

How many times has it been said "Brady is 35, he doesn't have much longer.."...yes, there is that way of looking at it, but also, Brady is a 35 year old veteran QB who has been at the top of the league every year in passing since 2006, a veteran who has developed the "pass first to win" philosophy of the Patriots the past five years. I have to think they go WR that can draw an extra defender as opposed to an Adrian Petersen (hyperbole of course) type runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have moved on, the invoice for next year's tix has arrived and I'm looking forward to next season. That's a far cry from where I started, I was pretty sure that I didn't even want to go through another Superbowl season but then the more I thought about it the more I realized that this was a special team to have even made it that far. Let's face it, they weren't the most talented team and the entire season was a learning curve for the defense but they hung in there, made some big plays and with some incredible luck went to the big game.

This team should only improve this year and I see no reason not to expect great things; 6 months and counting.

Last edited by a moderator:
It hurts to fall off a mountain...so I would say losing the Super Bowl is still a bother for me.

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have been a 10-6/11-5 team with a Wildcard win and done than a Super Bowl loss...If you get there you have to win it, you have to finish.

That's why I appreciate the Patriots organization, and proud to be a fan. I know that they feel the same way.

Plenty, plenty, plenty of teams have this sense of contentment with mediocrity or past success...."Oh well, it's tough to win in the NFL"..."I remember that team back in _____, those were great times"...

Whereas we believe we're supposed to win in the NFL. We "play to win the game" not just to be competitive and say we gave it our best.

Belichick says "they pay us to win"....Most teams say "they pay us to play".

So I'm confident we'll have as good or better a chance to get back to the show and finish it in 2012, because the New England Patriots are workers. They don't buy the hype, dwell on history, or rest on their laurels. It's what you do today that matters. And because Robert Kraft and Bill Belichick run this organization that way, they'll always have my support.

Go Pats!!!

Last edited:
Put it this way - 5 Superbowl Appearances in 10 years. 3 Championships in 5 appearances. Wouldn't you love to be this team or a fan of this team? It definitely sucked losing to the Giants AGAIN! But this Patriots team is still awesome and it still has pieces in place that have me thinking we are going to be in the thick of the championship race again in 2012.

I am worried what we do about Welker and what we do to improve our porous secondary. But otherwise I'd say that our roster is very solid and well capable of making a repeat appearance.

If not for the safety to start off the game, the Superbowl would have got off on an entirely different footing. We'll never know how close we came to winning. And manningham's catch was just ridiculous. But those are the breaks in life and football. Unpredictable. But the unpredictability makes it fun. Otherwise the 31 other fans of the teams not winning would just turn off their tvs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes