PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A mock that fits THIS year's needs: Cox, McClellin, Jenkins, Martin, trade out

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOTTOM LINE - In the mid to late part of the 2nd round, I think he'd be a good choice.

In regards to Jenkins, I can certainly respect and agree on some level.

The talent is obvious, and should be fall to the end of the 2nd for whatever reason, then I think you'd have to consider taking a chance.

I just recall what BB said when people asked him about drafting a certain talented but malodorous person.

"Life is too short to put up with ..."

Just how many games did talented PacMan get to play with all his suspensions, drug problems etc ?

Why would BB want to put up with PacMan Revisited?

The only guy who may have possibly cleaned up his act is Irvin...

As great/smart of a poster as you are, you have to agree that Jenkins is likely off our board altogether. He is the exact opposite of the "Patriot way," in every form. The more time goes on, the more it is obvious that he is not our kind of targeted player.

The latest reports are that he may likely slide into the 2nd round, and that "many teams have him off of their board altogether," according to 2 team executives. (one from the AFC, one from the NFC) Apparently, the latest news is that he admitted during the combine that he never even stopped smoking weed after getting kicked out of Florida, while playing for N.Alabama.

For a guy who:

1. Fathered 4 different kids to 3 different women by the age of his early-20's

2. Been arrested 3 times for marijuana charges before the age of 21

3. Was kicked out of a major college that has been more than willing to put up with LOTS of bullcrap

4. Still kept smoking weed when his future was at a major crossroads after having to accept a position at Northern Alabama

5. Was DUMB enough to admit it to all of the 32 teams at the combine

6. Failed multiple drug tests, reportedly for another substance other than pot at one point too

7. Is extremely high-maintenance and thinks the world of himself

8. Doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb--very anti=NEP

9. Will risk yet another high draft pick at the position of CB!!

Janoris Jenkins “kept smoking” at North Alabama | ProFootballTalk
The perfect Cincinnati Bengal!

Exactly. I'm envisioned one of 'those' teams such as Cincy, Tampa Bay etc to take a chance on him; maybe even Dallas.

I can understand those who say that the talent may be too good to pass up should he fall dramatically, b/c he is awfully talented; but even then, I don't think it will happen.

The kid has more than red flags, he's got red flags, flashing lights and big huge stop signs.

They've sorted themselves out and are starting to look like a functional franchise for a change. I wouldn't put it past the Lions to take him though - they seem less bothered by off the field behaviour. Suh and Fairley are hardly stand up citizens (on the field).

To play devils advocate here

1. Fathered 4 different kids to 3 different women by the age of his early-20's

Good, he'll have less money to spend on partying.

2. Been arrested 3 times for marijuana charges before the age of 21

Probably not something Bill cares about. We did draft Hernandez and Spikes.

3. Was kicked out of a major college that has been more than willing to put up with LOTS of bullcrap

Yeah, but it's clear Muschamp was making an example of him. He's trying to set a new standard there, and nothing would help him do that more than dismissing the best player on the team.

4. Still kept smoking weed when his future was at a major crossroads after having to accept a position at Northern Alabama

Again, Hernandez, Spikes.

5. Was DUMB enough to admit it to all of the 32 teams at the combine

Or he wanted to be truthful.

6. Failed multiple drug tests, reportedly for another substance other than pot at one point too

Which could have been anything, booze, nicotine, or a poppyseed muffin.

7. Is extremely high-maintenance and thinks the world of himself

Link from an unbiased source?

8. Doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb--very anti=NEP

Perhaps, but he's not the dimmest either. He's not even the dimmest bulb of the cornerbacks. Just ask Claiborne, but speak slowly.

9. Will risk yet another high draft pick at the position of CB!!

He'll probably be available in the second, and is only a risk off the field. On the field he's one of the best (and safest) players in the draft.

I will wager any amount of money out there (that I can possibly afford) that Janoris Jenkins is NOT taken by Bill Belichick in the upcoming draft, with absolutely no worry whatsoever.

Well yeah, you'd be getting 31 to 1 on your money.

To play devils advocate here

Good, he'll have less money to spend on partying.

Probably not something Bill cares about. We did draft Hernandez and Spikes.

Yeah, but it's clear Muschamp was making an example of him. He's trying to set a new standard there, and nothing would help him do that more than dismissing the best player on the team.

Again, Hernandez, Spikes.

Or he wanted to be truthful.

Which could have been anything, booze, nicotine, or a poppyseed muffin.

Link from an unbiased source?

Perhaps, but he's not the dimmest either. He's not even the dimmest bulb of the cornerbacks. Just ask Claiborne, but speak slowly.

He'll probably be available in the second, and is only a risk off the field. On the field he's one of the best (and safest) players in the draft.

Well yeah, you'd be getting 31 to 1 on your money.

Playing devil's advocate is never a bad thing, especially when trying to determine potential fits for the team during the draft season.

The main thing that I struggle with is he just seems so talented. He did shut down both AJ Green and Julio Jones last year (2010), and they both went in the top 6 picks taken. There's no denying his talent.

As far as the differences between AHern/Spikes and Jenkins though, I honestly think there are many.

With our scouting personnel and Belichick at the helm, you honestly just never know what's going to happen; but I would be very, very surprised to learn that the NEP would even consider a player like this.

The propensity to lean towards captains, stand up citizens on and off the field, (I honestly don't consider a weed charge in college to be as much of a red flag as some, and it doesn't seem like Belichick does either, but when it's a habitual situation that is different) potential team leaders, players who are very intelligent, players who can handle themselves in the press/media, and players who are worth the investment of the team, has been well documented. I do not believe that Belichick would differ from his standards at this point.

I am certainly not saying that I am 'right' or that you don't have good points, just that my thoughts and predictions remain the same. With the widespread rumors that "many" teams have taken him off of their boards altogether, I'd honestly be shocked.

The problem with Jenkins is not that he smoked weed, it's that he does not recognize the consequences of his actions. He gets caught with pot, continues to do it. In the NFL that earns you suspensions and causes team distractions. He has a kid - ok, **** happens - but then he has another kid. And another kid. All with different mothers. I mean seriously? Is it really that hard to use birth control?

What happens once he's has those NFL paychecks? If he thought he was untouchable as a collegiate football star what happens at the next level? I don't think you can isolate his behaviors from his patterns of behaviors and his utter inability to change them and take ownership. "I am who I am on the field." No, you're not.

All that said I'd take him with a 3rd rounder :p

Last edited:
At 48 I take him in a heartbeat. I grow tired of not having players that can play man coverage and we are in desperate need of someone with his skill set. If BB doesn't think he is he a fit then he won't take him. If he takes him at 27 then I'm on board, not my money and not my babysitting problem. That's basically a seal of approval from BB that he's gonna work here imo.

Anyone that can play Julio Jones and Aj Green as well as he did can't be dismissed so easily. However if you look at his clips vs Jeffrey he got worked pretty good.

The propensity to lean towards captains, stand up citizens on and off the field, (I honestly don't consider a weed charge in college to be as much of a red flag as some, and it doesn't seem like Belichick does either, but when it's a habitual situation that is different) potential team leaders, players who are very intelligent, players who can handle themselves in the press/media, and players who are worth the investment of the team, has been well documented. I do not believe that Belichick would differ from his standards at this point.

I actually think the nature of our locker room is why we can afford to take risks on player like Jenkins.

If he goes to a team like Detroit, he's screwed.

Last edited:
The problem with Jenkins is not that he smoked weed, it's that he does not recognize the consequences of his actions. He gets caught with pot, continues to do it. In the NFL that earns you suspensions and causes team distractions. He has a kid - ok, **** happens - but then he has another kid. And another kid. All with different mothers. I mean seriously? Is it really that hard to use birth control?

Weed is decriminalized in Massachusetts. If he gets caught with is the NFL might never ever know, it depends on the situation.

Poe has serious technique issues that he tries to overcome with athleticism. Those technique issues are serious fundamentals that if he couldn't fix by now I doubt he will ever fix them (ie. keep your head up, your body goes where your eyes go).

Weed is decriminalized in Massachusetts. If he gets caught with is the NFL might never ever know, it depends on the situation.

True, unless he would get caught failing a drug test, which is a possibility. Then he'd be looking at a suspension.

I think the bottom line with my thinking is that we see these players every single year, and somehow every single year there are still fans who are lured by the talent and overlook the warning signs.

You could very well be right, who knows? Maybe BB decides that he offers enough to take a chance on him. If that were the case, then we would at least be excited by his undoubted talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back