PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A mad Chargers fan responds to Colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
What this is really all about

The Patriots have stirred more resentment and bitterness among opponents than any other team in the league over the past six years. That is because they have won far, far more big games than any team in the league over the past six years.

Want to hear some ill will toward the Patriots? Talk to Raiders fans. Or Rams fans. Or Panthers, Steelers, Jets, Eagles, Jaguars...and don't even get me started on the Colts. The story varies -- "they're the luckiest team in football," "the refs handed it to them," "they disrespected us by throwing that last game," "*&#%# those #&**%$s" etc. etc. But what it all comes down to is that the Patriots beat them when it counts. That stings, and it's hard to forget...just ask any Pats fan about the Denver game last year.

sre94, you seem like a reasonable guy. Take a step back and look at the sin the Patriots are accused of here. You have a star who was suspended for using steroids, brags about being unblockable, launches elaborate taunts against respected vets like Jason Taylor, and has concocted a big sack dance to insult opposing players on the field. So the team that beats him pretends to do his dance. How can that possibly be a big deal? Could he have "asked for it" any more?

The loss hurts. It makes the players and fans mad. So they look for something to take their anger out on. That's all this is, period.

Re: What this is really all about

The Patriots have stirred more resentment and bitterness among opponents than any other team in the league over the past six years. That is because they have won far, far more big games than any team in the league over the past six years.

Want to hear some ill will toward the Patriots? Talk to Raiders fans. Or Rams fans. Or Panthers, Steelers, Jets, Eagles, Jaguars...and don't even get me started on the Colts. The story varies -- "they're the luckiest team in football," "the refs handed it to them," "they disrespected us by throwing that last game," "*&#%# those #&**%$s" etc. etc. But what it all comes down to is that the Patriots beat them when it counts. That stings, and it's hard to forget...just ask any Pats fan about the Denver game last year.

sre94, you seem like a reasonable guy. Take a step back and look at the sin the Patriots are accused of here. You have a star who was suspended for using steroids, brags about being unblockable, launches elaborate taunts against respected vets like Jason Taylor, and has concocted a big sack dance to insult opposing players on the field. So the team that beats him pretends to do his dance. How can that possibly be a big deal? Could he have "asked for it" any more?

The loss hurts. It makes the players and fans mad. So they look for something to take their anger out on. That's all this is, period.

Bingo... we got bingo!

Best post on this topic ever. Case closed.

...stadium security guards began to inch off their posts in anticipation of a Chargers player going at the Pats linebacker.

That's because the security guard knows the Chargers are all juiced up with roid rage ready to explode at any moment.

The moron hot head Tomlinson had already tried to start a fight on the field after the game.

That was a an ass-whuppin. The Chargers and their fans need to just shut up and take it like a man. I thought the Raiders and Steelers whined when the Pats kicked their butts, but these Chargers take the cake. Cry me a river. It ain't like ya'll are the first team to have your SuperBowl "stolen" by the Patriots. Get in line.

99% of players talk trash in the NFL. You have to, if your good enough to make it into the league that means your better then almost every player you've ever played against. So naturally they all have egos and think they are the best.

I dont agree with it alot of times, but in this case i do. Nobody was more full of themselves this year than the chargers. And that ****y attitute was best respresented by shawn the cheater merriman. Who not only cheats to be good at the game but talks more smack than 99% of the players in the league. The chargers deserved what they got. But it was nothing unusuall, just image what they say to each other out there on the field

Well said patchick!! :rocker:

Yes, very well said, although it there really that same resentment by Jaguars, Panthers, Eagles, and even Jets fans? I do not sense that, although I'm sure Jets fans have general anti-NE AFC East dislike (although until 5-8 years ago, I think they considered Miami the devil, not NE).

I know there is resentment by Rams, Colts, Steelers, and now Chargers. What the resentment bunch have in common is that they lost when their fans, the national media, and Las Vegas all expected them to win. In the case of Chargers and Steelers, the other side lost before a home crowd (in Pitt twice); and with the Rams, it was home conditions (dome, turf).

I'm told there is a clip on youtube (I haven't seen it yet) of the Chargers pep rally in which Shawn Merriman leads the Chargers faithful in a "Brady sucks" chant. So I think Shawn Merriman complaining about disrespect is totally inappropriate. Same with LT really, although I cut him more slack than Merriman. By the way when asked about LT's comments yesterday, Belichick acted with CLASS and didn't comment on them instead talking about what a great player LT is and how much he respects him. This is an unrelated topic but i'm tired of people calling out BB for being this terrible person. He knew he was wrong for shoving Jim Davis out of the way so he nutted up and apologized to him, calling him at his home. The man loves his kids is can be seen during that nice scene of the sideline at the end of the Chargers game. The man gives to charitable organizations, he even helps out with inner city gang members according to Jim Brown, the thing is you don't hear him talk about it. He values his privacy and is not the most media friendly person so therefore he gets portrayed as this ogre, but really he is not. Leave the man alone, please.

Stay Classy San Diego and Drink scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. There it goes down, down into your belly

Even Tom Brady echoes what I said, that the Patriots had no business winning this game.

From Sports Illustrated:

"Before getting smoochy with his parents, sisters and nieces, Brady smiled as he saw his best friend since childhood, Kevin Brady – no relation, though you wouldn't know it from watching them interact – and waved him through a gap in the fence. "You had no business winning that game," Kevin said as they hugged, his voice hoarse from cheering. "No business!"

"I know," Tom answered. "I know."

http://allthingsbillbelichick.com/articles/2007/flawesome.htm

Even Tom Brady echoes what I said, that the Patriots had no business winning this game.

From Sports Illustrated:

"Before getting smoochy with his parents, sisters and nieces, Brady smiled as he saw his best friend since childhood, Kevin Brady – no relation, though you wouldn't know it from watching them interact – and waved him through a gap in the fence. "You had no business winning that game," Kevin said as they hugged, his voice hoarse from cheering. "No business!"

Nearly a week later and at least one Charger fan is still eaten up with bitterness and is dumb enough to come to a Pats board and whine.

Loves it.

I think a difference between the Red Sox one and the Chargers one would be the participation of the players.

As the article reads it was a chance for fans to come in and get a chance to win tickets etc etc.

The SD one had ALL the key SD players there with the crowd shooting off their mouths.

Ok it is CA and maybe the crowd needed to be fired up to provide a good loud home game crowd.

A second difference is the obvious Baseball versus football. 1 rally a week before the first game of a 5 or 7 game series isn't going to have a huge impact. (baseball is not a game played on emotion - football is). Baseball does not involve the level of opposing team-specific gameplanning that football requires of its players. Taking guys out of practice time or film time when you only get ONE SHOT; it makes a difference.

But facts are the Patriots under BB would NEVER allow the players to be distracted from game planning nor provide the opportunity for such obvious bulletin board material to come out; by planning a rally PRIOR to the game. Especially only on a one week break. (superbowl excluded).

That is all irrelevant though. The key point was it was something that motivated Rosie. Regardless of YOUR perception or mine; all I can say to all the "pep rally" participants is.................

THANKS FOR FIRING UP OUR LB WHO GOT AN INT THAT WAS INTENDED FOR YOUR PROBOWLER.

Last edited:
While I don't agree with the "Lights Out" imitation, I wasn't that upset about it. But these comments from Roosevelt Colvin took me over the edge.

"And when the Pats' thrilling, 24-21 divisional playoff win over the Chargers was in the books early last night, Rosevelt Colvin came off the field at Qualcomm Stadium with fire flying from his mouth.

“Shut the power off!” shrieked Colvin down a hallway to a group of Chargers players entering their locker room.

His voice echoed off the walls, and stadium security guards began to inch off their posts in anticipation of a Chargers player going at the Pats linebacker.

“It's lights out!” continued Colvin, mocking the nickname of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman. “See you next year, chumps!”

I ask, why is this taunting necessary? Look, if you're the Patriots, you just escaped with a win, in a game you probably didn't have any business winning. You've now earned a chance to play for the Super Bowl. Why don't you just revel in the joy of that?? Is that not enough? Has winning gotten old in New England, and now it's more about rubbing it in?

But wait, there's more mouthing off from Colvin:

“They were planning parades. They actually had a pep rally last week. I'm serious. We're not in high school, man. We here in this locker room know how to approach a situation. We know how to win.”

So everyone in New England wants to make an issue over the Chargers holding a rally. What's so wrong with that? Chargers fans get criticized when they don't get enthusiastic about their team, but when they do show enthusiasm, they get criticized as well. Doesn't seem right to me. Look, I'd think New England fans would respect that, being as sports crazed as you are. I mean, I could tell all you Red Sox fans to get a life and stop spending most of your lives obsessing about them, but I won't, because I respect the passion you have for your team. (I'm presuming most people on this board are BoSox fans too)

I feel for you. Having spent some time on the West Coast I can understand your bruised feelings. Perhaps if I explained your perspective, My east coast brethren might be a tad more understanding.

Being an athlete on the west coast isn't so much about the game as it is about the style. When the Hero emerges, biceps bulging, cuticles cropped, every hair in place, his athletic Superiority is not to be questioned.

Defenders separate like the Red Sea, truly cognizant of the Hero's superiority. His cohorts may engage in ritual dances, taunting or other behaviors, but these are merely part of the performance, a recognition of the ascendancy and perfection of the Hero.

By contrast, the East Coast attitude is much more about content than style.

When one dances, taunts or disparages the opponent by looking past the game one is expected to BACK IT UP OR SHUT THE F**K UP AND GO AWAY.

I hope this has been helpful.:)

Last edited:
So everyone in New England wants to make an issue over the Chargers holding a rally. What's so wrong with that?

A rally? What kind of a rally is it when the star player comes out, declares that he is going to "hit Tom Brady in the face", and then the crowd goes into a frenetic "Brady sucks" chant. I dare you to watch the video and tell me that the Chargers fans aren't completely devoid of class. In New England, when we hold a rally it is about CELEBRATING our team, not demeaning the other team.

The Chargers have shown an extraordinary lack of class:

1. You came over here, beat us twice and taunted us twice.

2. You spent a week perfore the game taunting our team, guaranteeing victory, and preparing for the super bowl.

3. You promised physical violence against our star.

4. During the game your quaterback repeatedly taunted our defence, while steroid man did his concussion celebrating dance after a play in which he failed to get a sack, just because Tom Brady was knocked down.

After the game, three of the Patriots did things that could be construed as taunting.

5. Instead of congratulating the winners, LT charges after Hobbs and has to be restrained.

6. Instead of congratulating the winners, Rivers calls Hobbs (who played a great game against him) the "sorriest corner in the league").

7. Over a period of several days the chargers repeatedly declared the the entire Patriots organization has no class, focusing in particular on Bill Belichick.

Collectively, the Chargers have shown the worst sportsmanship ever demonstrated in a playoff game. Comparing this to a few taunting words is absurd.

CAN A FLIPPPIN CHARGERS FAN PLEASE JUSTIFY THE STUPID CLASSLESS CHARGER COMMENTS FROM LAST YEAR? HOW ABOUT MERRIMAN TALKIN ALL THAT JUNK PRE-GAME?!?!

ITS A CELEBRATION...GET OVER IT. YOUR JUST MAD LIKE PHILLIP RIVERS AND LT, BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT YOU'D HAVE THE CHANCE TO BE DOING THE LIGHTS OUT DANCE TO US..But It all BLEW UP IN YOUR FACE..

Some people just crack under pressure...some people just crack under pressure.

LIGHTS OUT---you didn't pay the bill...

NOW CAN WE PLEASE FOCUS TO WHAT IS REALLY at hand with the colts.

From Sports Illustrated:

Great find! Maybe it will make you feel better while you watch the pro bowl and think about next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes