PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A mad Chargers fan responds to Colvin

Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't you dare call us Red Sox fans.

Where is your concern when Merriman does his dance in the face of other teams, and in other stadiums ? Where is your concern when Merriman sends a hat and shirt and popcorn to another player ? A player who is a vet who has much more cred and experience than Merriman.

You lost, your team couldn't beat us. Deal with it. Your problem is not with us, its with the fact that you believed the hype about your team. Yes you have a good team, and you could have won, but it wasn't a lock. You all believed it was, and now can't handle the reality.

You seemed to think that our experience didn't matter, that we were somehow less than you. Surprise, you actually have to play for 60 minutes, no matter how pointless it seems. The Pats road to championships is littered with teams who have exactly that mindset. I have no idea how far we will go this year, but we will treat each team as a threat.

The problem with your activities is that apparently there were players involved. Talk about the ultimate act of disrespect and classlessness, thinking the Pats were not even worthy of focus and preparation.

Perhaps if your team had spent more time preparing properly they wouldn't be watching the rest of the season from the couch.

While I don't agree with the "Lights Out" imitation, I wasn't that upset about it. But these comments from Roosevelt Colvin took me over the edge.

"And when the Pats' thrilling, 24-21 divisional playoff win over the Chargers was in the books early last night, Rosevelt Colvin came off the field at Qualcomm Stadium with fire flying from his mouth.

“Shut the power off!” shrieked Colvin down a hallway to a group of Chargers players entering their locker room.

His voice echoed off the walls, and stadium security guards began to inch off their posts in anticipation of a Chargers player going at the Pats linebacker.

“It's lights out!” continued Colvin, mocking the nickname of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman. “See you next year, chumps!”

I ask, why is this taunting necessary? Look, if you're the Patriots, you just escaped with a win, in a game you probably didn't have any business winning. You've now earned a chance to play for the Super Bowl. Why don't you just revel in the joy of that?? Is that not enough? Has winning gotten old in New England, and now it's more about rubbing it in?

But wait, there's more mouthing off from Colvin:

“They were planning parades. They actually had a pep rally last week. I'm serious. We're not in high school, man. We here in this locker room know how to approach a situation. We know how to win.”

So everyone in New England wants to make an issue over the Chargers holding a rally. What's so wrong with that? Chargers fans get criticized when they don't get enthusiastic about their team, but when they do show enthusiasm, they get criticized as well. Doesn't seem right to me. Look, I'd think New England fans would respect that, being as sports crazed as you are. I mean, I could tell all you Red Sox fans to get a life and stop spending most of your lives obsessing about them, but I won't, because I respect the passion you have for your team. (I'm presuming most people on this board are BoSox fans too)

I don't get SD fans. Merriman's "dance" is designed solely to insult opponents after he makes a play. How is that not classless? So, Bolt fans are upset because the Patriots "made fun" of Merriman's classless dance? Screw them. I guess they are dumb to the fact that their team acted like a bunch of clowns all week leading up to the game.

Simple answer to all this: win next time! or watch golf!

Maybe he shouldn't get a hair cut with "lights out".

maybe he shouldn't have create a dance

maybe he should have gone on tv during half time in the jets game dressed in nothing.

maybe he shouldn't have sent jason taylor a gift

maybe he shouldn't ahve taken roids

if they don't want opposing teams to respond then he shouldn't bring attention to himself.

I'll echo both NH Pats Fan and Oswlek, and apologize for any screen name misspelling to either/both of you guys.

Look: We squeeked one by here, and we are damn happy to have done so. The Chargers were, and still are, one hell of a team. The Pats acknowledged that all week, and the Pats did not act like superstars every time they made a play. They just made their plays, played their game, and kept their mouths shut.

I just posted that I'm not sure how necessary the "lights out" lampooning is, regardless of how classlessly SD has acted towards us in the past. Maybe the fact that it's more cerebral to simultaneuously mock the end of the season, and mock the nickname of your favorite statistical wonder, than it is to say "that was a ass-whuppin," makes it less classy (or more likely, more cutting.) Somebody here has said that the Pats are already getting in your heads... hey, you know what? If this is a method-to-the-madness type of thing, I support it 100%. It would just be such totally fitting justice, if a team that admits it can not control its emotions, became a perenniel also-ran in the post-season, for that very reason.

Grow up dudes. I would feel like hell if I were you, and you're right - many of us know that feeling not just from the sox, which I view as a sort of off-season distraction, but also from the pre-2001 Patriots.

It hurts like hell. Dwell on it and lose again, or start doing the hard work in the offseason, and not just in the area of player acquisition.

I've heard you guys built yourselves on the Patriots model. Well, the postseason part of that model may be the trickiest part... look into it, my friends.

We'll see you sometime after it's football season for you again. Right now we have Indy to concern ourselves with.

Okay... one more thing... sincere condolences, and it sucks that people need to feel like you do right now, and like we might just still feel in a week. There are no guarantees. But you can't feel the way we've felt 3 times in the last five years, without feeling like you feel now some of the time too.

PFnV

While I don't agree with the "Lights Out" imitation, I wasn't that upset about it. But these comments from Roosevelt Colvin took me over the edge.

"And when the Pats' thrilling, 24-21 divisional playoff win over the Chargers was in the books early last night, Rosevelt Colvin came off the field at Qualcomm Stadium with fire flying from his mouth.

“Shut the power off!” shrieked Colvin down a hallway to a group of Chargers players entering their locker room.

His voice echoed off the walls, and stadium security guards began to inch off their posts in anticipation of a Chargers player going at the Pats linebacker.

“It's lights out!” continued Colvin, mocking the nickname of Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman. “See you next year, chumps!”

I ask, why is this taunting necessary? Look, if you're the Patriots, you just escaped with a win, in a game you probably didn't have any business winning. You've now earned a chance to play for the Super Bowl. Why don't you just revel in the joy of that?? Is that not enough? Has winning gotten old in New England, and now it's more about rubbing it in?

But wait, there's more mouthing off from Colvin:

“They were planning parades. They actually had a pep rally last week. I'm serious. We're not in high school, man. We here in this locker room know how to approach a situation. We know how to win.”

So everyone in New England wants to make an issue over the Chargers holding a rally. What's so wrong with that? Chargers fans get criticized when they don't get enthusiastic about their team, but when they do show enthusiasm, they get criticized as well. Doesn't seem right to me. Look, I'd think New England fans would respect that, being as sports crazed as you are. I mean, I could tell all you Red Sox fans to get a life and stop spending most of your lives obsessing about them, but I won't, because I respect the passion you have for your team. (I'm presuming most people on this board are BoSox fans too)

From Peter King:

Peter King said:
And it is no mortal sin for a visiting team to imitate the sack dance of the hometown hero.

In other words, Tomlinson, Rivers, et al, blew things out of proportion.

Hmmm, who was the Chargers player last year who yelled "f*ck New England and their fans" after they beat the Pats.

Last edited:
Here's what the Charger players, and apparently the fans, don't get:

ALL of the stuff the Chargers players do, such as Merriman's dance, IS DISRESPECTFUL. It is intended to put the player who does it on top of the players on the other team. The Chargers (and Titans, for that matter) will continue to get this treatment for as long as they continue to act this way. (Notice that Denver fans are delighted that your team went down yesterday?)

Colvin already has the Chargers set up for next year. Having them dwell on this stuff, instead of calmly and confidently focusing and concentrating on getting better as a football team, plays right into the Pats hands for next year.

Until your team ends the culture of showmanship and individualism, it will continue to piss everyone they play against. And smart teams, such as the Pats, will make sure they are focusing on it, rather than concentrating on the game.

Rack him, as Jim Rome would say. When will all these thug jocks learn? Dr. King would (or should) be ashamed.

Maybe he shouldn't get a hair cut with "lights out".

maybe he shouldn't have create a dance

maybe he should have gone on tv during half time in the jets game dressed in nothing.

maybe he shouldn't have sent jason taylor a gift

maybe he shouldn't ahve taken roids

if they don't want opposing teams to respond then he shouldn't bring attention to himself.

Maybe he should be sent this post to the Chargers' e-mail. Spot-on, Mr.B.

... you just escaped with a win, in a game you probably didn't have any business winning.

What should we do, apologize fror ruining your season? I can understand your bitterness and frustration, but comments like this show you really don't know much about football. Just like another Charger fan who said, "The Patriots didn't 'win' the game, we lost the game." Comments like these echo those by Steelers fans after the 2002 AFCC in Pittsburgh when they had their Super Bowl arrangements made before the game was even played. Face it: you ASSUMED you would win and are having a hard time dealing with the shock and disappointment. You have plenty of company, including Tomlinson and Rivers.

Last edited:
I see the major difference in the fan base this way:

Lurking on the SD board, and posting here, for the most part, (yes, we had our "trolls" over there), SD fans could only see one outcome to the game, a SD win. There was no way our team, with only 1 PB'er, "end of the dynasty", etc, could even come close to smelling the endzone, let alone win. Pats fan, for the most part, knew that the game was winnable. ("any given sunday"). If we had lost the game, I would of been disappointed, but pleased with another great season by "my team".

In their arrogance, the SD fans, and to a point, the players, looked beyond the Pats to the Indy game, and the SB. That contributed heavily to their downfall, IMO. They made mental mistakes on the field, and on the bench. If history tells a football person anything, a good team, not just the pats, will make any team pay for those mistakes.

Even for a team that has won three of the last five Superbowls, this is one of the most amazing wins we have ever had. Maybe taking shots at the other team was unnecessary, but the excitement behind it was completely understandable.

The SD players are upset because they are immature, as evidenced by their "look at me" showmanship and antics. Losing a game you thought was yours to take, and having your antics mocked by the victors cuts to the core of self-centered players like these.

The last quote I saw from Colvin last night sums upthe situation perfectly to me why he erupted vocally. When asked if the Chargers were trash talking on the field, he replied " From beginning to end. I'll take the win, have a nice offseason."

If you want to toot your own horn and create signature dances for yourselves, be prepared to be embarassed when you eventually get beaten.

As a final note, I want to know if any of you caught Phil Simms comment on Merriman's sack total, either in the second or third quarter. He brought up that a good percentage of the sacks came against TE and RB blocking, seemingly casting doubt on the impressiveness of the total.

Last edited:
The Lights out dance and/or comments happened at the end of the game when all players were feeling emotional. The "no class" accusations by San Diego and Tomlinson are laughable. The Pats ended the Chargers season and I think the shock of that loss combined with the Pats celebrating the win, where they were, which is incidentally on the Chargers homefield was what resulted in this inflated perception of what is really just normal celebrating.

Sorry but you lose you don't have much right to talk. Just cry me a river. If you win you backed up your talk but guess what you didn't do that Chargers. So reap the bitter taste of defeat in your mouth. Don't feel good does it? You were too ****y. Live and learn from your loss. Pats stepped up when it counted and your guys just choked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes