PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A lot of needs on this team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Pa Patriot

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The magic and mystique were gone on that 4th and 2 in Indy... We still have Tom Brady, he will be 33 next year... If we still are going to be a factor while Brady is in his prime.. then changes are needed. If not we could be the 3 rd best team in our division...

here are some top priorities..

WR- I know some here think we will be fine... Really??? 2-3 Wr are needed.. Sam Aiken, is not the solution, Eldelman is ok, but there will not be Wes Welker next year, or at least half the year...

Pass Rush- I dont think the corners are the problem, with the exception of Whilhite, but a few good pass rushers would kill the ills of this team..

offensive line man- Neal is prob done, Mankins needs to be resigned, but a few guards would be helful..

Punter- Chris Hanson , nuff said

a Solid Draft- the last few drafts have been horrible, this is probably the biggest draft in Belichick's tenure...

a few good coaches- Keep O Brien as the QB coach, but this team needs a OC.. And as we have seen this defense has been regressing for a few years under Pees...

and finally- Passion, - something was missing not just yesterday but all season lon. there is a chemistry issuie on this , and players who I dont think will be back, Thomas, Burgess, Green, Maroney, Watson, Springs are all gone... Im not sure of Moss , but something was missing with him this year too...

But it is safe to say, this is Belichick's biggest offseason as the HC/GM of the NEP....

Re: a lot of needs on this team..

Do not disagree with your assessment, but we do not know what we have with Tyrone McKenzie or Brandon Tate... this could be interesting, or could not...

I think you really need to look at the coaches..

The first thing that needs to be done is to blow up the offense and start over:

Running back: We need a stud. The committee concept with veterans and Maroney is not good enough. I think Lawrence could be a decent back-up, but Morris, Taylor need to go. We have no lead back that can carry the load and take over a game when needed. Flashes here and there. I would still sign Faulk to maybe a two year deal, but he's getting old. 2 of those 4 backs need to go for fresh legs.

Receiver: Obvious. Marshall would look good.

Tight End: Again, not close to enough production. I think we can close the book on Watson. Baker was invisible through most of the year.

Offensive line: Obvious, especially with Neal on the fence.

I screwed up, forgot the RB issuie...

I love it when people make statements like "we need to blow up this offense." I have news for you. This offense took us to 3 SBs

The RB by committee is fine. Taylor, Morris, Maroney, and Faulk would have done better if the O-line had been consistent in its run blocking. The zone blocking needs to go. And Koppen needs to be replaced. Koppen got abused by the Ravens the way he got abused by the Giants.. Replacing Neal is a must as well. Connolly is a JAG, but Ohrnberger could be interesting there.

Aiken is what he is. He's a great special teams player who never made it as a WR in Buffalo. And we saw why.

I disagree with the assessment that the Pats NEED another WR. It would be nice to have, but it's not a necessity. In fact, not having one would force Brady to go back to the receiver by committee attitude that worked so well from 2001 to 2004. It would also force him to get the TEs and RBs more involved. Another thing, with the 50/50 way the Pats seem to hit on WRs, bringing in a big name for Brady is probably not the wisest thing, unless they give the person numerous reps to work with Brady prior to signing. Otherwise, it could just be a Galloway Redux. Oh. One last thing. Edelman showed that he can do an amazing Wes Welker imitation. I think he'll develop into a very very good WR. He seems to have the same mentality as Welker, Wayne Chrebet and Troy Brown. Also, lets not forget Tate.

As for punter, people who mention Hanson tend to not have bothered to have actually looked at the stats other than the NET yardage. Net Yardage doesn't tell the whole story. You need to look at WHERE the punts were made. Almost 25% of Hanson's punts were made from inside the opposing 50. When that happens, it drags down the net yardage.. Especially when you make the 2nd fewest punts in the league. You have to look at things like the number of returns (20), the number of fair catches (16), the number of punts inside the 20 (18) and such. You have to look at the HOLE picture. Could he be improved upon? Sure. Is it an absolute necessity? Nope.

As for this being BB's biggest off-season as a coach/GM, I disagree. That was the 2000/2001 off-season. This is probably the 2nd or 3rd biggest. And with no restrictions on the UFAs they can sign, they should be in a good place to improve the team where needed.

Last edited:

I agree with all except releasing Springs. Especially if we're unable to resign Bodden, Springs will be needed next year. At the time he's our 2nd best CB, but hopefully next year Butler is ready. Speaking of Butler I hope he's our KR next year, at least for the playoffs. His semi-big return may be the best one we've had all year as sad as that sounds.

I don't think RB is that huge of a need. Your RB is only as good as his OL unless you have a guy like Ray Rice/Chris Johnson... and a guy like that is going to cost alot unless he's aquired through the draft. But we have more pressing needs to be able to spend a high pick on RB. I want to see us focus the higher picks on DE,LB,WR,OG. We won 2 super bowls with Antowain Smith as the main back, This offense runs on Brady and the OL, the RB is a compliment at best.

I love Randy Moss and have no issues with his efforts. That being said I hope next season is his last here unless he's willing to sign for about half of what he's making on this contract. Simply not worth it to give 1 WR that kind of money especially at the tail end of his career. Better to have a deep set of WR's like in '03-'05 than to have 2 main guys and nobody else you can trust in.

Even so, the problem is not the WR's, I think the main problem with the offense is the lack of an effective OC. No excuse for yesterday's piss poor effort or the 2nd half nightmares during the season. Even if Moss and Welker are the only good WR's, they are DAMN good WR's. in 2001 our 3rd option was Jermaine Wiggins for cryin out loud. 2006 our go to guy was Reche Caldwell. This offense is too good on paper to have played like this. The solution is not to blow it up, it needs a G to replace Neal and a #3 WR... With 4 day 1 picks, nothing needs to be blown up here.

I love it when people make statements like "we need to blow up this offense." I have news for you. This offense took us to 3 SBs

Actually 4

Although I don't remember seeing Aiken, Edelman, Baker, Tate or any of the other people pretending to be NFL WRs on the sidelines for the 3 wins

This offense blows and it is absolutely nothing without the Moss, Welker duo on the field. This team has 0 other permenant options in the position. I'm not looking for a 2007 caliber offense but Brady focuses on these two because it's apparent to everyone but blind homers that his other options shouldn't even be on the field.

Last edited:

Actually 4

Although I don't remember seeing Aiken, Edelman, Baker, Tate or any of the other people pretending to be NFL WRs on the sidelines for the 3 wins

This offense blows and it is absolutely nothing without the Moss, Welker duo on the field. This team has 0 other permenant options in the position. I'm not looking for a 2007 caliber offense but Brady focuses on these two because it's apparent to everyone but blind homers that his other options shouldn't even be on the field.

No, what's apparent to educated people is that Brady has become OVER-RELIANT on Moss and Welker. People said that guys like Patten, Branch, and Givens didn't belong on the field. That was, until, they went out and won 2 SBs together.

Any half-intelligent person would see this. Edelman showed that he's got a very bright future ahead of him. Tate showed that he can run the routes. He just needs to get his knee healthy. Anyone who did their homework knew that Aiken was primarily a special teams WR and nothing more and anyone expecting more is just silly. The reality is that you can only carry so many players. It's just not possible to have 4 top notch WRs on a team. It IS possible to have 3-4 "#2"type receivers, though, and be successful.

BTW, Brady's other options include Faulk, Edelman, Taylor, Maroney, Morris, Watson and Baker. Just some food for you to ponder..

New England Patriots Draft Needs

Outside Linebacker for the 3-4 Defensive Alignment
Defensive End for the 3-4 Defensive Alignment
Offensive Guard
Offensive Tackle
Wide Receiver
Tight End

New England Patriots Draft Needs

Defensive End for the 3-4 Defensive Alignment
Offensive Guard
Offensive Tackle
Wide Receiver
Tight End

The Pats need one OLB and One ILB. I disagree about the OT and the WR. TE ok. DE, totally agree, though I think we'll see Wright/Pryor there next year with Green gone.

The Pats need one OLB and One ILB. I disagree about the OT and the WR. TE ok. DE, totally agree, though I think we'll see Wright/Pryor there next year with Green gone.

I disagree, I think they need two OLBs. That assumes Burgess and AD are gone. That leaves only Banta-Cain; Woods is not going to be one of your top 3 OLBs, and at this point neither is Ninkovich.

Can you least agree with me that we need a true WR, not Qb's or ST' turned into a 3rd WR... And You have to admit that Wes, is a question mark for next year... You might be right about Tate, but its questionable at best right now, with Wes he may be ready by week 1, but at what percent.. Best case he comes back in Nov...

THIS offense has not won a thing for us

what won 3 SB's was a ball control offense with 2 TE's and basically 3-4 slot guys at WR (brown, patten, givens, branch)

the pats have never thrown for 4000 yards and won an SB. the charlie weis offense won 3 SB's.....and while this offense can be entertaining, playing from the shotgun 80% of the time has not achieved a thing other than becoming statistically comparable to the colts....for one season anyway.

the SB winning offense did not get players hurt the way the current version does. 2 of the SB's were won with the top WR catching less than 60 balls for 800 yards.

The magic and mystique were gone on that 4th and 2 in Indy... We still have Tom Brady, he will be 33 next year... If we still are going to be a factor while Brady is in his prime.. then changes are needed. If not we could be the 3 rd best team in our division...

here are some top priorities..

WR- I know some here think we will be fine... Really??? 2-3 Wr are needed.. Sam Aiken, is not the solution, Eldelman is ok, but there will not be Wes Welker next year, or at least half the year...

Pass Rush- I dont think the corners are the problem, with the exception of Whilhite, but a few good pass rushers would kill the ills of this team..

offensive line man- Neal is prob done, Mankins needs to be resigned, but a few guards would be helful..

Punter- Chris Hanson , nuff said

a Solid Draft- the last few drafts have been horrible, this is probably the biggest draft in Belichick's tenure...

a few good coaches- Keep O Brien as the QB coach, but this team needs a OC.. And as we have seen this defense has been regressing for a few years under Pees...

and finally- Passion, - something was missing not just yesterday but all season lon. there is a chemistry issuie on this , and players who I dont think will be back, Thomas, Burgess, Green, Maroney, Watson, Springs are all gone... Im not sure of Moss , but something was missing with him this year too...

But it is safe to say, this is Belichick's biggest offseason as the HC/GM of the NEP....

Pass rush, pass rush, and then again how about pass rush? I tivo most of the games, and when you watch them closely, it is appalling to see how much time opposing QBs have back there. It's the worse I've seen. Then 12 seconds later the QB completes the pass, and folks say "our DBs suck". Well, try covering any wide receiver for as long as our DBs had to cover, and you'd see the real issue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey