Welcome to PatsFans.com

A lot of good speakers at the Dem convention

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

But, I'll tell you, seeing Tammy Duckworth walk out on her prosthetic legs, one with red, white, and blue, and give an unbelievably compelling story about her family's struggles and service to the nation was the most moving so far. I doubt if anyone in this forum would disagree.

2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Tammy rocked....but the mom with the child with the heart defect was also quite touching - and really drove home the need for "Obamacare" to be retained. It was also a great touch for her to tell Romney that the "best day" was not the day Obama got elected but several other days, as well.

So far they're all looking really good.

3. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

4. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

Just wait until Kevin Kostner shows up to yell at the furniture, yeahhh boieee

5. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

I saw that when it played... I was like "ouch, stay down Mitt..."

6. Nikolai

Nikolai Football Atheist PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,018 / 1 / -1

#54 Jersey

I'm thinking Tim Robbins.

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Deval Patrick speech is a powerful indictment of Romney.

It is what it is .... Massachusetts is doing well in this rough economy.

Only problem is Deval might be a better President than Obama if he was in.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  8. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Tammy Duckworth, Stacy Lihn, Lilly Ledbetter, Elaine Bryne, Rosie Castro and Michelle Obama.

I gotta tell ya - I've always enjoyed being a woman and I've always been proud to be a woman but tonight's done a wonderful job of making me remember who we are and what we can accomplish.

We have, truly, come a long long way.

9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,371 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Michelle was good and emotional but I have to say Deval Patrick sounded like a president in his speech.

10. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

Yeah, I'd never heard him speak before. Wowza. Your governor has a lil magic there. Our governor just has a wand.

11. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

This is the first time I've ever heard him speak...and yes, he's very impressive. Very.

Julian Castro was pretty impressive in a different way - but still impressive. I particularily liked the way he stressed his mother's importance in his life - it was so moving to hear him talk about her strength and her intelligence and her importance in his life and then to see this woman who was totally unimpressive looking, overweight, shy and with a gold tooth, just smiling and smiling - it makes you aware that the poor and the middle class really ARE the backbone of the world and that ordinary women, with hard-life stories and hard life experiences can look a bit shopworn and a bit dowdy and yet, underneath it, they are made of steel and they give the world immeasurable goodness and greatness - through their own hard work and through the children they raise.

Lilly Ledbetter was excellent, too. Her story is a familiar one to many women of my mother's generation and of my own. She fought a good fight, she told her story eloquently and with feeling - and all of us, men and women alike, owe her a good deal.

12. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -2

I did not watch the Republican convention nor the Democratic convention.

I am tired of listening to speeches. These politicians need to stop talking about how good American can be and start making it happen!

Republican or Democrat... 90% of what they promise they never deliver. And, Americans are so used to it that we don't even they to hold them to what they say. We just say, "well all politicians make promises they don't keep".

Look at history and how the great civilizations were created by people that struggled to survive and expand and then how the next generation worked hard to improve and as life got easier for each generation the civilization started to crumbled a step at a time. That is where we are now.

13. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

I, also, opt for the edited versions as I cannot tolerate network TV.. today will seek out Castro's and Michelle's speech you tube...

Here is a compendium of 10 of Michelle's "top" comments..

Michelle Obama's 10 moving lines - Mackenzie Weinger - POLITICO.com

14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

No, it's not, unless we let it be.... which is what those "speeches" last night were about.

More importantly, that's the core value of the Dems... that it ain't over, that we're still building a civilization, that there's honor and greatness in struggling. "When you get through that door, you don't shut it behind you, you pull someone else through after you."

Nothing easier than cynicism, IMHO.

After a few years, I've gotten tired of hearing "a plague on both their houses and on everybody's house for that matter, except mine."

Right now, I think Obama gets a second term, but I do think the human intestinal blockage that is the modern GOP holds onto the House. It's going to be hard to govern that way, unless Obama has unexpected downticket appeal.

I do like to hope that once this "make Obama a one-term president" nonsense is over, the house pubbies start doing something in the national interest instead of grandstanding and bullsh1tting. Otherwise we have to tread water again until '14, but I do think we'll be due for another "wave" if they continue to obstruct.

pFnV

15. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +449 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Bingo!! In my lifetime, I've had candidates make me feel "inspired"....only to let me down once they were voted in. Sometimes I think Americans are looking for another John F Kennedy...but the reality is we'll never have another man like him.

Certainly not in Romney or Obama anyway.

16. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

Yeah PR, I can see where that could be irritating. Your country could do for you better. :)

17. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Time change, as does the definition of a great speaker.

Back when Kennedy was president, the "great speaker" style was powerful, forceful, almost indignant. Reagan, who was a great speaker came along and showed that a great speaker could be firm and confident, but didn't need to soar. Clinton, yet another great speaker, came along and showed that the appearance of sincerity was what counted. Obama, yet another great speaker, is more of a Kennedy, but also more professorial. I think Julian Castro last night has a real shot at being a leader of the Democratic Party, and his speech underscored his warmth. The reality is, I think, that tastes change. Kennedy was a great speaker to the youth of his era, while their parents probably admired Roosevelt. Obama is a great speaker to the youth of this era.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  18. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +523 / 14 / -28

What is obvious is that they do not have to spend three days "humanizing" Obama, he has done a good job of that with the help of Michelle...

19. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +108 / 9 / -14

#37 Jersey

I have mentioned this before that I've met her before and like her.

As for Fidel's son, Patrick and Obama's old lady more race baiting class warfare bull**** that's aimed at the LCD.

20. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +819 / 2 / -9

This is quite a thread....

Lovely Michelle says "they need more time"

:singing::singing::singing::singing: