A look at the major colleges and who BB has zeroed in on in the past

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
College degrees - BostonHerald.com

Notre Dame has been his favorite by a little bit.

Could we say Golden Tate,possibly in the 1st if ND continues to lead the pack?

I noticed that Penn State has never been a BB choice player pick in the draft,Maybe it will change with Odrick....sooner or later they should have a player he likes.

EDIT: Saw ONE PSU player picked...sorry for the error - That was Rich Ornberger last year,right?

Last edited:
looking at those numbers..... he wants no part w/ Penn State..

I'd Pass on Ordick because he wouldnt fix much at the moment. in '11 I fix D.

Granted Oklahoma State only is 1 as well..... but Gresham is a TE and we know how much BB likes his TE's:)

Penn State=Poison to BB....... approach w/ caution.

looking at those numbers..... he wants no part w/ Penn State..

I'd Pass on Ordick because he wouldnt fix much at the moment. in '11 I fix D.

Granted Oklahoma State only is 1 as well..... but Gresham is a TE and we know how much BB likes his TE's:)

Penn State=Poison to BB....... approach w/ caution.

There is a ton of 1s on that list in terms of past selections, so of course there is a high chance at least on or more of those schools sends a player to the Pats.

no USC either

Speaking of Penn State,I think Jeremy Boone could be a strong possibility in the 5th or 6th rounds for BB to take.

The Pats WILL draft a punter on the last day.

Wow,thats even more of a shocker

Maybe Kraft wanted none of Carroll's boys ;)

matt-cassel-usc.jpg

4 of the schools that had three or more players drafted by the Patriots had head coaches that had a connection to Belichick in one way or another. Granted, Saben or Weis might not had been there when the player was drafted, but the connection to the school and/or the system that was put in place during the college coaches tenure was still there.

I don't think there is much we can take from this data to predict who the first round pick is, but it might provide some idea of who they might pick in the later rounds as depth to the team. Though Randall Gay was an UDFA, he is one of those guys that came from a coaching system that Bill was familiar with and a coach that had a connection to Bill. Guys like Sam Young of ND or Tony Moaeki (sp?) might be guys the Pats look at later or not look at AT ALL since the truth works two ways: good and bad.

4 of the schools that had three or more players drafted by the Patriots had head coaches that had a connection to Belichick in one way or another. Granted, Saben or Weis might not had been there when the player was drafted, but the connection to the school and/or the system that was put in place during the college coaches tenure was still there.

I don't think there is much we can take from this data to predict who the first round pick is, but it might provide some idea of who they might pick in the later rounds as depth to the team. Though Randall Gay was an UDFA, he is one of those guys that came from a coaching system that Bill was familiar with and a coach that had a connection to Bill. Guys like Sam Young of ND or Tony Moaeki (sp?) might be guys the Pats look at later or not look at AT ALL since the truth works two ways: good and bad.

Who does Alabama have that could be a possibility in NE?

It may mean little to who BB chooses but Saban is well known to be very close and maybe BBs best friend.

Bama's defense was disgusting. They were soooo good.

There's a ton this year, Cody, McClain, Arenas, Johnson, Peek, Jackson.

Which one of those could be gone by 22?...McClain I believe is going relatively high.

I really haven't even begun to seriously look at the draft

Bama's defense was disgusting. They were soooo good.

Oklahoma and Ohio State were pretty darn good as well,Just Alabama had the edge as a championship defense

Which one of those could be gone by 22?...McClain I believe is going relatively high.

I really haven't even begun to seriously look at the draft
McClain should be gone.

The others will be something like :

Cody 2
Arenas 4
Johnson 3
Jackson 4
Peek 6

or in that area anyway. I like Arenas as a last CB and top PR. Johnson is a nice solid guard that wouldn't cost too much. Peek's a JAG TE.

For what they'd cost, I like Arenas the best, not as a starter but as a 4th/5th CB and excellent PR I think he'd make a nice 4th/5th round pick.

I think it really changes year to year which college BB like the most. Dependent on a few factors. Like when Weis went to ND we took a couple of his players in his first 2 years. Also when BB visits a school there is a high correlation to someone from that school getting picked. It probably has more to do with the talent coming out and not the school itself. This year he vitiated Florida and there is a lot of talent coming out of that school so it's a safe bet to say we should see at least 2 picks from there.

I think it really changes year to year which college BB like the most. Dependent on a few factors. Like when Weis went to ND we took a couple of his players in his first 2 years. Also when BB visits a school there is a high correlation to someone from that school getting picked. It probably has more to do with the talent coming out and not the school itself. This year he vitiated Florida and there is a lot of talent coming out of that school so it's a safe bet to say we should see at least 2 picks from there.

Tim Tebow...Patriots hybrid TE/FB.....

McClain should be gone.

The others will be something like :

Cody 2
Arenas 4
Johnson 3
Jackson 4
Peek 6

or in that area anyway. I like Arenas as a last CB and top PR. Johnson is a nice solid guard that wouldn't cost too much. Peek's a JAG TE.

For what they'd cost, I like Arenas the best, not as a starter but as a 4th/5th CB and excellent PR I think he'd make a nice 4th/5th round pick.

When Saban was at LSU or Michigan State, BB did not use many high draft picks on those players, the late M Hill might be the lone exception. Instead BB preferred to use his inside information to uncover the late round and UDFA contributors/gems.

I fully expect BB to do that again with the Saban/Alabama connection. So some prime later round candidates include:

RB Upchurch (UDFA) Pushed out in a numbers squeeze by Ingram and Richardson.
SS Wooddall (UDFA) Supposed to be a strong ST player.
DE Washington (7th round - UDFA) experience in the 3-4 DE position.
DE Deaderick (6th- 7th round) Again experience in the 3-4 DE position. Some off the field incidents that need investigating.
OT/OG Davis (UDFA) Not very mobile, but a good drive blocker.

BB has visited Florida for at least the past four years, he pulls rank and makes the Florida schools his private shopping area while fishing & getting ED tips from Jimmy Johnson and taking in some Spring Training. He hit UCF and USF I believe, I don't know if he was at Miami or FL A&M/FL Atlantic/FL International/FL Hairdressers and Barber's College, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes