PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Look at The Burgess Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think Jarvis Green is worth the 5.4M cap he has this year? What about Seymour's 9.8M cap? Green is not even an every down linemen. Why didn't we trade Green or Seymour with 1 yr left on their contracts and make a push for Pepper or someone of that calibur? (I think it would actually be about 4.2M for Vrabel but I could be wrong).

I believe Seymours and Greens cash carry bigger dead money while Vrabel had a bonus due days after the trade.

will vrabel was to slow to be a passrusher any more

and to keep him around at 4million a year just to be a goalline TE make's no sence

and to trade seymour one of the best DL in the NFL for peppers and then pay him 17 million a year for a OLB who hes never even played OLB ?

peppers best year 51 tackels and 14.5 sacks at DE

burgess best year 57 tackels and 16 sacks at 3-4 OLB

im not saying he's better then peppers but at lest he played in a 3-4 at OLB

and we dont have to give up our best DL and draft picks and 17 million a year

and burgess is faster and a better passrusher and cost less then vrabel

Thank you!! 12th_man is wasting previous time and space.

Burgess played in the 3-4 under Rob Ryan in Oakland when they had Ted Washington lining up at NT and Warren Sapp at one DE position and Bobby Hamilton at the other. Burgess put up 16 sacks that year. However, its unknown whether Ryan ran it as a one gap or two gap system.

Mostly a one gap in Oakland.

Burgess is definitely a good talent, only question is how he will adjust to playing 3-4 (or how quickly he can adjust).

The knock on Burgess is that he's not a great DE and was really only effective as a strong side OLB in the 3-4 for Oakland. That and his injury concerns.

@ 12th_man. It would have cost the Pats almost 2 million more to cut Green instead of Vrabes. I just hope Burgess shows up.

Burgess is the better talent, but Vrabel more durable--I'd rather roll the dice and take Burgess over Vrabel because he fills the Pats biggest need of pass rush. Anytime I see the Pats make a trade, I check the other team's messageboards for reaction. Lots of Raider fans were unhappy to see him go, which is a good thing for us. From what those crazy raider fans say it seems that Burgess is an amazing defensive player with questionable health issues. He is horrible against the run, but one of the best pass rushers in the NFL. I remember one fan saying it "seems like AL Davis feels good about making deals with a winner instead of becoming one".

I'm happy about Burgess being here. I just hope he doesn't get anywhere near Brady in practice:)

^^what about his coverage skills? I think it's poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back