PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A look at the 2015 Patriots Draft Positioning

I'm talking about the role, not an exact clone of the player.
We might already have that guy on the roster in Easley. At least that's the hope I think.

We might already have that guy on the roster in Easley. At least that's the hope I think.

Maybe although they didn't really use him in that role this year. He played much more like a conventional DT rather than a EDGE defender in base that slips inside in sub. Easley is more a conventional 3-tech, I'm really thinking about someone who joins the 3-tech on passing downs. Remember Justin Francis? I'm thinking a better version of him.

And what a great 1-2 punch
1-2 punch? Blount, Gurley, Ridley, Vereen, White, Gaffney, Gray, it's a ****in stable my man

That being said, Gurley is my favorite elite prospect in this draft, he's wowed me since his freshman year and I'd love to see him in NE but I think the smartest thing to do at #32 (assuming we don't trade) is to grab a speedy pass rusher (Ray, Golden, Dupree) or Brandon Scherff if he's available, if the elite pass rushing prospects are all gone and Scherff, I still think it's best to keep building our front 7 up, this draft should be fun, enjoy this title guys, we're witnessing history

Last edited:
1-2 punch? Blount, Gurley, Ridley, Vereen, White, Gaffney, Gray, it's a ****in stable my man

That being said, Gurley is my favorite elite prospect in this draft, he's wowed me since his freshman year and I'd love to see him in NE but I think the smartest thing to do at #32 (assuming we don't trade) is to grab a speedy pass rusher (Ray, Golden, Dupree) or Brandon Scherff if he's available, if the elite pass rushing prospects are all gone and Scherff, I still think it's best to keep building our front 7 up, this draft should be fun, enjoy this title guys, we're witnessing history

I did say earlier in the thread that whilst I wanted Gurley, it was an irrational want. Except to say this; do the Jets not take Gronk in the draft because they have Amaro and Cumberland? Blount is not a leading RB, he's a useful weapon in places, just like all the others you listed. Gurley has the potential to be the best in the NFL.

I did say earlier in the thread that whilst I wanted Gurley, it was an irrational want. Except to say this; do the Jets not take Gronk in the draft because they have Amaro and Cumberland? Blount is not a leading RB, he's a useful weapon in places, just like all the others you listed. Gurley has the potential to be the best in the NFL.
If Gronk was the same prospect he was now as he was in 2010 and the NYJ had Amaro and Cumberland, I'm pretty sure they'd and most franchises would grab their needs first. I love Gurley but Blount is a borderline #1 RB, Vereen is the NFL's top scatback, Ridley can still be a #1 RB in my mind, we have all seen what Gray can do, and White, Gaffney, and Bolden are all nice prospects

Compensatory picks awarded. Updated positioning of Patriots' draft picks:

97 (compensatory pick).
101 (from TB).
177 (from TB).
219 (from Tenn).
253 (compensatory pick).
Up next should be the tampering swap. That won't be decided until the meetings are long over so Roger and W. Johnson can simply deflect questions about it. No doubt about it though, we have some more draft capital headed our way. Swap of 4ths at worst. Should be higher for the level of blatency, but we'll see.

After hearing Krafts comments today (" I know that there's no smoking gun here.") about footballs I'm beginning to feel alot more confident we'll be exhaonerated and face no draft sanctions.

Everything is falling into place nicely, as I was shaky in my belief we'd get that 7th comp. Sweet.

They'll wait until after the draft to penalize the Jets. Swap of 4th's and penalize them a 7. They don't have a 5th or 6th this year. And, no comp picks. Woody would ***** and moan if they did it this year.

They'll wait until after the draft to penalize the Jets. Swap of 4th's and penalize them a 7. They don't have a 5th or 6th this year. And, no comp picks. Woody would ***** and moan if they did it this year.
I don't see any way they can stave off that decision until next year. The LO has backed themselves into a corner on this and all the other issues. They'd be smart to issue all the rulings this Friday to let the dust settle before the next big public event (the draft) in a month.

Well, I was wrong about Blount.

I don't see any way they can stave off that decision until next year. The LO has backed themselves into a corner on this and all the other issues. They'd be smart to issue all the rulings this Friday to let the dust settle before the next big public event (the draft) in a month.

I think that's the problem. Right now they have deflate-gate issues (not just the Pats, but Minnesota shown warming balls on TV, IIRC), Cleveland's illegal use of cell phones, and Atlanta pumping artificial noise into the stadium. I'm sure they would love to delay the tampering issue, but if they resolve those other issues with some cost of draft picks in 2015 and then don't address the tampering issue until 2016, it's only going to create a bigger mess.

Last edited:
Compensatory picks awarded. Updated positioning of Patriots' draft picks:

97 (compensatory pick).
101 (from TB).

So 5 picks in the top 100, expectations are:
  • 1 spot starter
  • 1 quality depth
  • 1-2 reserves

So 5 picks in the top 100, expectations are:
  • 1 spot starter
  • 1 quality depth
  • 1-2 reserves

Assuming they pick 5 players, I would expect something like the following:

- 1 immediate starter
- 2 guys who play a significant rotational role by the end of the season, and who hopefully develop into more
- 1 reserve
- Probably 1 "miss"

I think that's the problem. Right now they have deflate-gate issues (not just the Pats, but Minnesota shown warming balls on TV, IIRC), Cleveland's illegal use of cell phones, and Atlanta pumping artificial noise into the stadium. If they resolve those issues with some cost of draft picks in 2015 and then don't address the tampering issue until 2016, it's only going to create a bigger mess.

I honestly believe that goodell's 'apology' to kraft will come in the form of a harsh tampering punishment.....and soon

there is a pretty easy line to draw when it comes to cause and effect between johnson's words in december and the end result of revis winding up with the jets.......previous penalties for tampering were levied even though the player did not change teams. the net result with this one is different and regardless of whether anyone says 'revis was leaving anyway'

all the markers are there for the Jets interference with the Pats ability to conduct business with a player under contract to them. Out of all the issues, it's the only one whose outcome was altered by a rule broken

Assuming they pick 5 players, I would expect something like the following:

- 1 immediate starter
- 2 guys who play a significant rotational role by the end of the season, and who hopefully develop into more
- 1 reserve
- Probably 1 "miss"
That's about what I would expect. Of course our GM has made more drafty day trades than anyone so movement will almost certainly happen.

Well, I was wrong about Blount.
Well, you're rational had a very reasonable foundation. Of course, we're talking about the LO, so for most part that gets thrown out the window.

Hey, just look at as being wrong never felt so right.:)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back