PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A look at the 2015 Patriots Draft Positioning

Plenty of draft capital this year and maybe more incoming:

-2nd rounder for Mayo? Teams like Philly could really use him. Can't see him back.
-6th/7th rounder for Dennard. With the emergence of Butler, Dennard probably won't even make the team and trading him saves us some cap space as his salary spikes to around 1.3 million this year.

I really believe (barring injuries) we can repeat next year with the same team coming back (resigning Revis/McCourty). We already have our QB prospect for the future too. This draft is a luxury.

The only two players I'm really sold on given their projected value are Rashad Greene and Nick Marshall. They won't require much capital either. I'm still unfamiliar with most of the 1st round players to really pick a binky.

If there is a top 20 pick on the OL/DL worth trading up for, I think that should be our plan. We also could afford to gamble big time with Gurley or Green-Beckham.

I have no idea who I want in round 1. But with all these picks and maybe more incoming, it is definitely a trade up year.

Get that one impact rookie who could help us repeat. The team is already good enough to get the 1 seed and return to the SB.

So now we know..

The Pats have
32, 64, 96 (these positions won't change), then @97 comp for Talib, @101 (from TB), then TB's 6th and Tenn 7th

So what exactly did the Pats give up for Akeem Ayers and Jonathan Casillas?

And what a great 1-2 punch

After watching yesterdays game, I'm still up in the air with where we should draft a O-lineman, and a pass rusher. The O-line did fairly well throughout the playoffs and has gotten better with each game. Seattle's pass rush was middle of the pack, then they lost Cliff. So I'm having a hard time gauging the matchup. This same concept applies to our oass rush. They did pretty well yesterday, and I think we might be able to wait either another year to draft a DE or pass rusher high.

I feel we might be able to take a player like Gurley, or Shaq Thompsion if they're sitting there at 32. Basically a luxury pick

After watching yesterdays game, I'm still up in the air with where we should draft a O-lineman, and a pass rusher. The O-line did fairly well throughout the playoffs and has gotten better with each game. Seattle's pass rush was middle of the pack, then they lost Cliff. So I'm having a hard time gauging the matchup. This same concept applies to our oass rush. They did pretty well yesterday, and I think we might be able to wait either another year to draft a DE or pass rusher high.

I feel we might be able to take a player like Gurley, or Shaq Thompsion if they're sitting there at 32. Basically a luxury pick
The pats absolutely need a guard

The pats absolutely need a guard

Yes, but does it have to be in the first round? I understand tackles being taken high, however I feel like a guard is somewhat of waste of a first round pick. Like maybe one of the elite players like L.Collins. We found gold in stork this past year, which still shows we can develop and draft good O-line players, even without Scarr.

Yes, but does it have to be in the first round? I understand tackles being taken high, however I feel like a guard is somewhat of waste of a first round pick. Like maybe one of the elite players like L.Collins. We found gold in stork this past year, which still shows we can develop and draft good O-line players, even without Scarr.
Unless they lost Revis or McCourty I would want them to trade back, especially because I think a team like the rams might be looking to try and leap frog some teams and grab Brett Hundley. Pats are also so great at finding lineman in the mid rounds.

Well I think Clemmings, Scherff and Collins are potentially elite guards and I think if you can get someone at that level then I think you go for it. I'm not quite as high on Erving but if he can play OG then he has five position value on the OL which is valuable on its own and then there's Poutasi who's a real road grader who'll open massive holes and Jake Fisher who has the ability to replace Solder if no long term deal can be agreed. Those are the six I'm comfortable taking in the top 64 for now.

As for the pass rusher, I want someone who can move inside much like Michael Bennett which is why I'm high on Odighizuwa and to a slightly lesser degree Preston Smith. We don't really have that guy.

Plenty of draft capital this year and maybe more incoming:

-2nd rounder for Mayo? Teams like Philly could really use him. Can't see him back.
-6th/7th rounder for Dennard. With the emergence of Butler, Dennard probably won't even make the team and trading him saves us some cap space as his salary spikes to around 1.3 million this year.

I really believe (barring injuries) we can repeat next year with the same team coming back (resigning Revis/McCourty). We already have our QB prospect for the future too. This draft is a luxury.

The only two players I'm really sold on given their projected value are Rashad Greene and Nick Marshall. They won't require much capital either. I'm still unfamiliar with most of the 1st round players to really pick a binky.

If there is a top 20 pick on the OL/DL worth trading up for, I think that should be our plan. We also could afford to gamble big time with Gurley or Green-Beckham.

I have no idea who I want in round 1. But with all these picks and maybe more incoming, it is definitely a trade up year.

Get that one impact rookie who could help us repeat. The team is already good enough to get the 1 seed and return to the SB.

As much as I love Mayo, and would hate to see him go. One of two things needs to happen. He needs to take a HUGE pay cut. In the 5 million dollar range. If he's not willing to do that, then you try to shop him. He is a amazing player, but it might be really hard to find a buyer for a 2nd rounder. You might be able to get a 3rd, and a 4th. Maybe we can trade him to the cardinals for Fitz on a restructured contract. lol

I don't like the "we have a good so team lets trade up" mentality. Not having any glaring holes is a luxury few are privileged to have. This allows you to gamble a little more with your investments (draft picks) and bring in developmental players with a bunch of upside.

Nick marshal and Josh Shaw. Those are the types of players you can get with you mid round picks. I want as many as we can get. Considering I'm having a hard time picking a player Id truly be happy with at 32, every day I'm leaning more towards the "trade out" attempt. If we could some how get a few more 3-5th round picks, there is some awesome developmental talent in this years draft.

Yes I also think its time to say good bye to Denard, and also Tavon wilson. Those two players alone free up around 2 million in cap space. I know Arrington had a pretty good year, but we should also entertain the option of trying to trade him. He's a great player, but I think yesterday proved hell never be a true #1 CB. I just don't feel he's worth his 4.5 million dollar salary he's set to make in 15. A intresting thought to make note of is, Antonio Chromartie being a free agent. He made a little less money last year then Arrington did. Im sure he would love the thought of getting to play with his former teammate and once scary duo partner, Revis. Having two high upside players like Shaw and Marshall who physically have the body/frame to be elite, learning the ropes from corners like Revis, Browner, and Chromartie is what you call, great planning for the future.

As for the pass rusher, I want someone who can move inside much like Michael Bennett which is why I'm high on Odighizuwa and to a slightly lesser degree Preston Smith. We don't really have that guy.

I think most teams would like to have a player like Michael Bennett. Easier said than done

I think most teams would like to have a player like Michael Bennett. Easier said than done

I'm talking about the role, not an exact clone of the player.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back