PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A look at some rookie kickers ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Some kicker profiles from nfl draftcountdown ...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/k.html

# Name College Height Weight 40-Time
1. Connor Hughes Virginia 5-10 172 4.77
2. Josh Huston Ohio St. 6-1 195 4.97
3. Stephen Gostkowski Memphis 6-2 200 5.05
4. Jon Scifres Missouri St. 6-2 197 5.00
5. Deric Yaussi Wyoming 5-11 199 4.96
6. Ben Jones Purdue 6-1 213 5.25

Based on strengths/weaknesses alone, I like Ben Jones. Says he has easily hits from 50+; very consistant; great on kickoffs.

Major weaknesses is he kicks too slow which leads to blocks (pro coaching should help) and that he was hurt his senior year, which leads to a lower ranking.

Top kicker Connor Hughes of Virginia I doubt is even on BBs board as his major weakness is "probably can't kickoff in the pros." Don't see BB keeping two Ks.

I know they brought in Huston from OSU, but any guy who is labelled "very inconsistant" I'll pass on.

Gostowski I prob. like #2. Money in the bank from <40yds is good, but major demerits for not having the range for 50+. Not good at all. If he could increase his range to being able to kick 51-53 yds, I'd say he's viable.

Scifres is a another pass. Still way too inconsistent...Mechanics can get dodgy at times...Gets discouraged and lets misses get to him.

Yassui, I'd pass. Streaky inconsistant, misses easy ones. Again, not the weaknesses you want in a K.

So in my beyond amateur opinion, if the Pats like any kickers, I'd like Jones or Gostowski. The rest seem too inconsistant based on these profiles.

tombonneau said:
Based on strengths/weaknesses alone, I like Ben Jones. Says he has easily hits from 50+; very consistant; great on kickoffs.

Major weaknesses is he kicks too slow which leads to blocks (pro coaching should help) and that he was hurt his senior year, which leads to a lower ranking.

Gostowski I prob. like #2. Money in the bank from <40yds is good, but major demerits for not having the range for 50+. Not good at all. If he could increase his range to being able to kick 51-53 yds, I'd say he's viable.

So in my beyond amateur opinion, if the Pats like any kickers, I'd like Jones or Gostowski. The rest seem too inconsistant based on these profiles.
Morten Anderson counseling a kicker in NFLE had him focusing on kicks inside the 40, where the majority of kicks occur. His advice might be worth something....

OK. Ben Jones has a career 72.9% kicking average.

2005 : 8-14 (57%)
2004: 10-18 (66%)
2003: 25-30 (75%)

He got consitently worse every year.

Anyone have kick-off and touchback info on the kid?

Think Connor Hughes would be worth a look in the sixth - 88% career accuracy is a good thing.

didnt the pats draft a rookie kicker who showed some promise a couple years ago? I cant remember his name but it seems like the Giants or someone picked him off out practice squad after training camp. Anyone remember that guy and know where he is now?

Bubba said:
didnt the pats draft a rookie kicker who showed some promise a couple years ago? I cant remember his name but it seems like the Giants or someone picked him off out practice squad after training camp. Anyone remember that guy and know where he is now?
Owen Pochman - NFLE with the Bills, I guess he's competing with Lindell to be their kicker.

Gostkowski is the man I like. I think that scouting report isn't quite accurate. He was 2 for 2 from 50+ last year and 7 for 7 from 40+. He's also supposed to be a very good athlete - similar to Vinatieri, more than just a kicker.

I think we'll attract the cream of the crop of the Rookie UFAs as they know the oppoprtunity that exists here.

But I think we're selling ourselves short if we don't look north of the border for kickers used to playing in harsh conditions.

Does anyone know what the rules are for signing a CFL kicker away from a team? Does the NFL have any agreement or understanding with CFL teams not to swoop and scoop up their kickers who are under contract? Or are we just relegated to the unsigned CFL kickers at this point.

DaBruinz said:
OK. Ben Jones has a career 72.9% kicking average.

2005 : 8-14 (57%)
2004: 10-18 (66%)
2003: 25-30 (75%)

He got consitently worse every year.

Anyone have kick-off and touchback info on the kid?

He got hurt in 2005 which accounts for the poor showing. And the scouting report says he's great on kickoffs.

JoeSixPat said:
I think we'll attract the cream of the crop of the Rookie UFAs as they know the oppoprtunity that exists here.

But I think we're selling ourselves short if we don't look north of the border for kickers used to playing in harsh conditions.

Does anyone know what the rules are for signing a CFL kicker away from a team? Does the NFL have any agreement or understanding with CFL teams not to swoop and scoop up their kickers who are under contract? Or are we just relegated to the unsigned CFL kickers at this point.

I'm sure you can sign whoever from the CFL. I would assume. (?) But as far as harsh conditions, don't they almost all play indoors?

I say use 3 picks in R's 6 and 7 on PK's and let the better man win. We certainly have enough picks in those rounds, picks that aren't going to make the team anyhow.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Morten Anderson counseling a kicker in NFLE had him focusing on kicks inside the 40, where the majority of kicks occur. His advice might be worth something....

you think...? ;)

BelichickFan said:
Owen Pochman - NFLE with the Bills, I guess he's competing with Lindell to be their kicker.

That was last spring. He was later signed by the Ravens but released in August. He's currently unemployed, and apparently with good reason.

MoLewisrocks said:
That was last spring. He was later signed by the Ravens but released in August. He's currently unemployed, and apparently with good reason.
Ooops. Sorry. Those darned dates.

tombonneau said:
He got hurt in 2005 which accounts for the poor showing. And the scouting report says he's great on kickoffs.

Apparently he struggled in 2004 as well due to injuries. Sounds like a pattern. He had limited KO experience sharing that job with the punter as a Jr. and Sr. In 2004 he had 10 KO for a 59.9 yard average and 4 tb's. Can't find total stats for 2005 but it appears when he did KO it was nothing special. His career long in FG is just 50, and he was 3-5 at 50+ in his college career, so I'm not so sure what that scouting report is based on beyond wishful thinking.

This is simply not a good year to be looking for college kickers.

Connor is clutch but could stand to improve his leg strength -- just like the guy who just left.

Anyone who was crying about losing a clutch kicker better not overlook this guy because of his KOs...he is money, and he's obviously on BB's radar otherwise Bill wouldn't have flown Seely down to Charlottesville today.

Experience is nice, Matt Bahr had experience and AV didn't.

The fans will give a rookie a much better chance to succeed than a guy like Gramatica. IMO, accuracy and mental toughness are more important factors than either leg strength or experience.

Last edited:
Bobs My Uncle said:
I say use 3 picks in R's 6 and 7 on PK's and let the better man win. We certainly have enough picks in those rounds, picks that aren't going to make the team anyhow.

I think they will draft at least 1 kicker - and MAYBE two - but because most teams already have their kicking duties covered there's not a high demand and therefore very few rookie kickers coveted enough to require expending a draft pick on.

So I question how many kickers are so good that other teams will want to use a draft pick on them.

Most kickers remain UFAs - the best of which will have their agents try to pick and choose where they have the best shot to latch on - and the Patriots will probably be deemed one of the best places to have a chance of landing a job

Even those kickers that we don't draft or sign as UFAs will be watched closely - nearly all teams bring in some for summer tryouts so we'll have the benefit of watching and scooping some good ones up when they get cut, just like the Browns did with Phil Dawson when we cut him

the taildragger said:
Connor is clutch but could stand to improve his leg strength -- just like the guy who just left.
IMO, accuracy and mental toughness are more important factors than either leg strength or experience.
I am interested to know how many game winning field goals he has had?? How many "clutch" kicks he has made?? I agree mental toughness is important, but just wondering how Conner's is more than other possible draftee/UDFA kickers. His leg strength is weak and he may not be able to kickoff; maybe that can be changed. I am more worried about his low trajectory.

the taildragger said:

Anyone who was crying about losing a clutch kicker better not overlook this guy because of his KOs...he is money, and he's obviously on BB's radar otherwise Bill wouldn't have flown Seely down to Charlottesville today.

Experience is nice, Matt Bahr had experience and AV didn't.

The fans will give a rookie a much better chance to succeed than a guy like Gramatica. IMO, accuracy and mental toughness are more important factors than either leg strength or experience.

What does it matter if you are accurate if you can't get the ball over the goal post?

Also, field position is huge. Kicking off and having the opposing team receive it between the 7-10 yard line is what we've been putting up with for the past 10 years. Having 1 TB every 13 kicks is what we've been putting up with for the last 10 years. I'll take a guy that can buy the coverage unit an extra half second to get down to make the stop and kicks for 77% over a guy who kicks for 80% but his kicks fall short and allow the opposition to start at or beyond the 30.

DaBruinz said:
What does it matter if you are accurate if you can't get the ball over the goal post?

Also, field position is huge. Kicking off and having the opposing team receive it between the 7-10 yard line is what we've been putting up with for the past 10 years. Having 1 TB every 13 kicks is what we've been putting up with for the last 10 years. I'll take a guy that can buy the coverage unit an extra half second to get down to make the stop and kicks for 77% over a guy who kicks for 80% but his kicks fall short and allow the opposition to start at or beyond the 30.

it's always about tradeoffs with kickers but this isn't about inventing the ideal kicker, it's about selecting the best possible choice. It sounds like gramatica's more your type of guy. They were smart to bring in gramatica, but IMO they'd rather retain a kid.

AV did not have a great leg, but nobody whined about it because he made kicks. Ideally you'd like to replace him with a guy who was just as good at FGs but could get more touchbacks too -- but let's get realistic. Nobody said field position wasn't important...the choice is great accuracy and a guy you can stick in a gym, or a guy like gramatica with a big leg, suspect clutchness, and a seriously odd personality (that frankly needs adjustment if he plans on fitting in with our clubhouse and being accepted by fans).

Connor's made 88% of his figgys -- No, he doesn't kick in snow down there, but wind is a MUCH bigger factor, and yes, he's dealt with wind.

Why would anyone want to bring in a guy who can't get the ball over the posts?

connor's not a choker, just ask any ACC fan -- at his position, he's practically a college legend...you might have to sacrifice touchbacks, a price I'm willing to pay.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back