PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Look At Our Division Rivals...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBam39

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Let's take a brief look at where our division rivals are at:

I see the Jets as being head and shoulders our number one competition in the division right now. Hiring Mangini has made them much much better and I think picking up Thomas Jones will also make them much better. I think that guys underrated and will be a complete stud for them. They still need to get themselves a better quarterback, but D'Brickshaw and Mangold made their OL better, they have two good WR's with Coles and Cottchery, and now they have a stud in Thomas Jones. Once they get a QB that's better than Chad Pennington they will go from very good to potentially great on Offense. I see that happening over the next 2-3 years at worst. On D they still are retooling, but because of Mangini it doesn't matter as much as it does on other teams. He has them playing tough, inspired, disciplined and well planned football even with some of the weaknesses they have. They still have the draft to get better, which they will. Last year they drafted very very well, and you can assume they will now do that every year. Mangini going there and bringing alot of the pats philosophy and intelligent approach is a bit of a nightmare for BB and the Pats. Not because we aren't way ahead of them and still be able to beat them, but because they will be difficult to beat and bring the same mentality as the pats to all of our contests, and they will keep improving year after year, eventually becoming a beast. I believe that is why BB was so upset with Mangini last year. because he saw it as a bit of betrayal to bring all hi talent and knowledge to a division rival. So for now, I see the Jets as still developing and just a very tough team to beat that we are better than, but I definately see them a major concern going forward.
The Dolphins are next and are in disarray. Having your head coach quit on you is never a good thing. It means upheavel and change, and that's where they are at. Cam Cameron seems like an intelligent man, a good speaker, and he certainly had a track record of success with the Chargers offense. Will he make a good head coach - it remains to be seen - it's certainly not a given as it is a much more difficult job than just being a coordinator, but all signs are that he should be very good eventually. Right now he has to come in and deal with a lot of roster changes and I think he'll have a learning curve and an adjustment period. He'll need to get their cap situation in good shape and get them younger, deeper and more talented. That will take a little time. I see the Phins as doing ok this year, maybe winning 6-9 games, and having stretches where they do well and stretches where they struggle, but I see them becoming more adhesive as a unit as the season progresses and getting Cam's 'stamp' on them and gaining an identity of how they're gonna approach things. From there I see them over the next couple of year getting younger and more talented and eventually becoming a tougher competitor in the division. How good will they become? Perhaps very good, but I think everyone will need to step back and see just how well Cam Cameron performs with his new position as head man.
Then there are the Bills. I see the Bills taking a serious backslide this season. I think that a 3-13 season is entirely possible. They just lost like 4-5 of their best players in a salary cap purge. Yes JP Losman showed some development last year and proved to actually have some real talent, but I also think he still has to prove he's not flawed and that he will not continually self-implode at the worst of times. He'l be under additional pressure this season because he's lost lot of talent from his team, and fans have seen him play well so they'll expect it. I think he'll struggle and the whole team will as well. The Bills have to draft well over the next 2 years and spend wisely on FA as well, and become a good team during that span or I think you may see a major purge 3-4 years from now that will include Losman, Jauron, and Levy from the front office. It's my guess that that's what will happen before someone else takes over that has a great eye for talent and team building and changes the direction of that decimated franchise.
I see the final standings as:
1)Patriots
2)Jets
3)Dolphins
4)Bills
I see the Pats making a serious run at the SuperBowl Championship.
I see the Jets making a serious run at the playoffs, and perhaps even winning a game or two, but not being able to hang ultimately with the best teams in the conference. There's also the possbility of a small backslide this year as the team comtinues to grow.
I see the other two teams as being out of it by mid season and just looking to make strides.

The one thing about the Jets was that they were among the healthiest teams in football last year, tough to repeat that.

The one thing about the Jets was that they were among the healthiest teams in football last year, tough to repeat that.

Yes, that's very true, and of course they had an easier schedule too, you can point these things out and you wouldn't be wrong.

But I think we are all kidding ourselves if we try to deny the transformation that appears to be taking shape with the Jets. They didn't almost come back from way down the first game, and then actually beat us the second game because of schedules or injuries, they did it because they became an extremely well-coached, disciplined, hard-nosed, hungry football team and they are only going to get better. We need to face that fact and be ready to battle them year in and year out.

Last edited:
Let's take a brief look at where our division rivals are at:

I see the Jets as being head and shoulders our number one competition in the division right now.

Riiiggghhhttt!!!!, and where did you see the Jets at the start of last season?? Ya know what predictions this time of year amount too?? Nothing! Seriously what's the point? You're going to be wrong about the way things shake out, so why bother posting an opinion on something you have no idea about?? One key injury could change the entire landscape of the division.

The Dolphins are next and are in disarray. Having your head coach quit on you is never a good thing. It means upheavel and change, and that's where they are at. Cam Cameron seems like an intelligent man, a good speaker, and he certainly had a track record of success with the Chargers offense. Will he make a good head coach - it remains to be seen - it's certainly not a given as it is a much more difficult job than just being a coordinator, but all signs are that he should be very good eventually. Right now he has to come in and deal with a lot of roster changes and I think he'll have a learning curve and an adjustment period. He'll need to get their cap situation in good shape and get them younger, deeper and more talented. That will take a little time. I see the Phins as doing ok this year, maybe winning 6-9 games, and having stretches where they do well and stretches where they struggle, but I see them becoming more adhesive as a unit as the season progresses and getting Cam's 'stamp' on them and gaining an identity of how they're gonna approach things. From there I see them over the next couple of year getting younger and more talented and eventually becoming a tougher competitor in the division. How good will they become? Perhaps very good, but I think everyone will need to step back and see just how well Cam Cameron performs with his new position as head man.

Wow, poor assesment on your part, most of what you said about Cam Cameron could be said about Eric Mangini or Sean Peyton, except Cam has been the best OC the last 3 or 4 years. Plus Miami has Dom Capers, who has HC experience, that will help cam with the transition. Besides I don't think inexperience as a HC means much, as history has proven. As for the state of the team being in disarray, this is obviously more wishful thinking by Pat fans then anything else. All Miami has lost that's of any value is W.Welker and R.McMichael. Wes was a nice player, but isn't a huge loss, his heart will be missed more then anything. Other then those two players Miami has lost nothing but backups...who weren't very good at that.

Miami has gotten a few extra picks in this years draft and we have the 9th overall pick. There is also plenty of time left in FA and there are still cuts to be made. We are a long ways from the start of the season and there is still plenty of upgrades to be made. Miami's QB position will be better this year no matter who starts, add that with Cams ability to coach QB's and call a game and Miami's biggest weakness, their Offense, will be better then last year guaranteed!!! Our Defense ins the best in the division and could be better with the addition of Poter on the other side of Taylor.

If you ask me Miami has more upside then the Jets, all we've needed that last several years is an effective Offense, Cam makes that likely.

Last edited:
Plus, as long as they have that inbred noodlearm hick taking snaps for them with his shoulder hanging on by a rubber band, they will go nowhere. Scary to think, though, what would happen if they actually had a decent QB that can throw the deep ball.

Riiiggghhhttt!!!!, and where did you see the Jets at the start of last season?? Ya know what predictions this time of year amount too?? Nothing! Seriously what's the point? You're going to be wrong about the way things shake out, so why bother posting an opinion on something you have no idea about?? One key injury could change the entire landscape of the division.

You don't need to take it personally. It's ok that the Dolphins aren't our toughest competition. After all, you guys had an undefeated season, what, 35 years ago?

It doesn't matter where I saw the Jets at the beginning of last year. It matters where I see them now that Mangini has shown what kind of coach he's going to be.

And who's to say I'm going to be wrong with the way things shape out? I think that's the only straw a Dolphin fan has to grasp at - the hope that some miracle injury will change the landscape, cuz it sure don't look good for you guys right now!

Plus, as long as they have that inbred noodlearm hick taking snaps for them with his shoulder hanging on by a rubber band, they will go nowhere. Scary to think, though, what would happen if they actually had a decent QB that can throw the deep ball.

That noodle arm beat us last year and lead them to the playoffs.
Yes, as I mentioned they will be much better once they find a great QB, but until then, they are still going to be very very tough.

I think the jets are getting too much credit. With pennington they went 10-6 before mangini.also,except for their first rounders the rest have been near busts under mangini.So they have not proved anything in drafting on player evaluation till now.first rounders are easier to be starters than 4th and 5th rounders.....you need them to run a team.picking ex-patriots send a red flag as they seem to lacking inplayer evaluation ....
I rate
Pats
Bills - i like their coach and their defence
Jets
Dolphins-No QB yes they can good defensive games but a team just need to score enough to win.

Last edited:
I think the jets are getting too much credit. With pennington they went 10-6 before mangini.also,except for their first rounders the rest have been near busts under mangini.So they have not proved anything in drafting on player evaluation till now.first rounders are easier to be starters than 4th and 5th rounders.....you need them to run a team.picking ex-patriots send a red flag as they seem to lacking inplayer evaluation ....
I rate
Pats
Jets
Dolphins-No QB yes they can good defensive games but a team just need to score enough to win.

the bills?
are you crazy?
they are horrible!!

the jets played very well, and in a different way then we're used to .

there's no denying they have improved dramatically.
you may think it's a temporary thing but I beg to differ.
I recognise the pats liek intensity that mangini brought to them.
you can see it.
they played hard at all times and never gave up.

Justin Miller? Leon Washington?
they know what their doing.
BB briught in alot of former players when he was getting started too, just smart management to go with people you know are underrated.

Wow, poor assesment on your part, most of what you said about Cam Cameron could be said about Eric Mangini or Sean Peyton, except Cam has been the best OC the last 3 or 4 years. Plus Miami has Dom Capers, who has HC experience, that will help cam with the transition. Besides I don't think inexperience as a HC means much, as history has proven. As for the state of the team being in disarray, this is obviously more wishful thinking by Pat fans then anything else. All Miami has lost that's of any value is W.Welker and R.McMichael. Wes was a nice player, but isn't a huge loss, his heart will be missed more then anything. Other then those two players Miami has lost nothing but backups...who weren't very good at that.

Miami has gotten a few extra picks in this years draft and we have the 9th overall pick. There is also plenty of time left in FA and there are still cuts to be made. We are a long ways from the start of the season and there is still plenty of upgrades to be made. Miami's QB position will be better this year no matter who starts, add that with Cams ability to coach QB's and call a game and Miami's biggest weakness, their Offense, will be better then last year guaranteed!!! Our Defense ins the best in the division and could be better with the addition of Poter on the other side of Taylor.

If you ask me Miami has more upside then the Jets, all we've needed that last several years is an effective Offense, Cam makes that likely.

The FABULOUS Cam Cam~!

Anyway, I don't get it. You scold the thread starter for making a prediction against the Fins saying that predictions don't mean sh!t and then you make a prediction of the Fins being successful? Hypocracy, maybe?

I rate
Pats
Jets

They rest of the Jets picks were bust last year? Like Leon Washington who ran for 650 yards and 4 td's and show he could be part of a 1-2 punch? Brad Smith who's impact does not show in stats b/c of the many confusion plays the Jets ran with him last year in limited action, or Safety Eric Smith in rd 3 who has became the starting SS by the end of last year, and shows promise? This doesnt even take into account Kellen Clemens who we dont know what he will turn out to be.

Last edited:

Obviously cuz arm strength is a direct link to success. Should we sign Jeff George?

They rest of the Jets picks were bust last year? Like Leon Washington who ran for 650 yards and 4 td's and show he could be part of a 1-2 punch? Brad Smith who's impact does not show in stats b/c of the many confusion plays the Jets ran with him last year in limited action, or Safety Eric Smith in rd 3 who has became the starting SS by the end of last year, and shows promise? This doesnt even take into account Kellen Clemens who we dont know what he will turn out to be.

I saw nearly every Jets game last year, and Brad Smith did very little. He had a couple of nice plays and got some firsts. As far as the "confusion" plays go, there wasn't much confusion at all, because everyone knew that when Mangini put Smith in that he was getting the ball, even when they split the ever-dangerous Chad wide.

I saw nearly every Jets game last year, and Brad Smith did very little. He had a couple of nice plays and got some firsts. As far as the "confusion" plays go, there wasn't much confusion at all, because everyone knew that when Mangini put Smith in that he was getting the ball, even when they split the ever-dangerous Chad wide.

I disagree. I thought Brad Smith was a good pick for the Jetsies. He has the Randel-El role for the Jets. he did some nice things,a nd was great on ST. I also like Leon Washington. I think the Jetsies had a solid draft last year.

But I do think the Jets will falter some this year. They were really a prduct f the AFC east weak schedule last year, and their 2 differential games last year were vs the Raiders and Cleveland. The 2 worst teams in the AFC.

also think that teams will generally take a step back, before taking another 2 steps forward as the NFL now has a book on them, both the coaches and players that they didnt have last year. Also they were such an injury free team last year, its tough to do that 2 years in a row. I see an 8-8, 7-9 season for them.

I disagree. I thought Brad Smith was a good pick for the Jetsies. He has the Randel-El role for the Jets. he did some nice things,a nd was great on ST. I also like Leon Washington. I think the Jetsies had a solid draft last year.

I didn't say Smith was bad, I just said that Mangini has no clue how to use him.

Again, You mixing need with quality..Anyway , i want to see say a mike wrigt type UDFA pickup , Javis green stuff .Also , Cap room cannot be carried over but they sitting on it and never bid on any one . maybe they did not like anyone but i seriously doubt that at the end of the year all the cap room is going to win any games.for freaking reason people equate cap room to cap management.good cap management means having cap room every year and spending cap room fully.

I will give it another 2 yrs before one can predict or evalute the jets as its too short to know what happened.Maybe next year i will tell you what i think.
If you think BB started out and became what is today without charlie and romeo , you will be making a mistake.scott piolli is a key to the team evaluation.The more i see this i realize that if the jets regress mangini is going to be fired.He being asked to be BB,charlie,weiss and scott in one.

Last edited:
Again, You mixing need with quality..Anyway , i want to see say a mike wrigt type UDFA pickup , Javis green stuff .Also , Cap room cannot be carried over but they sitting on it and never bid on any one . maybe they did not like anyone but i seriously doubt that at the end of the year all the cap room is going to win any games.for freaking reason people equate cap room to cap management.good cap management means having cap room every year and spending cap room fully.

I will give it another 2 yrs before one can predict or evalute the jets as its too short to know what happened.Maybe next year i will tell you what i think.
If you think BB started out and became what is today with charlie and romeo you will be making a mistake.scott piolli is a key to the team evaluation.The more i see this i realize that if the jets regress mangini is going to be fired.

Last year we had a need at almost every position on the field. The Jets have had one draft under the new regime and right now I would give the draft a B to B+ depending on what Kellen Clemens turns out to be. I am pissed that they did not spend their money but its only one offseason and I can remember quite distinctively the Pats not splurging on FA in the beginning. Mangini has a lot of time b/c a lot of the fan base realizes that the talent level on this team need drastic improving in certain positions. Mike Tannenbaum has done an exceptional job managing this team in his 1 and a half years . 28 mil over the cap last year to 20 mil under this year. everyone said he would never get anything for abraham, he got a 1 which turned to mangold, not mortgaging the entire draft for Reggie Bush, stealing thomas jones from the bears. Raping the skins in a draft day trade which basically turned into th 2006 37th pick (rd 2) for Thomas Jones, Kellen Clemens, and the 63rd pick (2nd) in the 2007 draft. im quite happy with the job done in a short period of time with Tangini. There mentality is patriot like when evaluating players, trust me the future is bright fo rthe J-E-T-S.

Last edited:
Assuming no critical injuries to our key players I don't see any AFCE team ending up closer than 4 games of the Pats.

As for who that team might be ....... I can say for almost certainty that it won't be the Dolphins. So I'll gove them 4th in the division.

As for 2nd and 3rd spots, flip a coin between the Bills and Jets. Both teams are in year 2 of their rebuild jobs and still a ways away.

If the Pats overlook any of these teams they could steal a game from us in the end.

2 years ago coming into camp everyone was picking the Jets to go to the superbowl. Pennington's arm never came around and they stunk. Last year everyone was picking the Jet's to suck, and Pennington's arm was ok, and they did pretty well. Mangini got all the credit, but it really should have gone to Pennington, IMHO.

I think the fate of the Jets depend on Pennington, if he is healthy, they can sneak into the playoffs, like they did last year, if he is hurt, which is often the case, they will get a real high draft pick next spring.

And umm, did any of you people who keep throwing the fact that the Jets beat the Patriot's last year actually watch that game?? The Jet's had absolutely no business winning that game. The only reason they even were close in that game was because of the monsoon it was played in. Remember the condition of the field??? I still swear that game cost us the superbowl, but we shall see.

Excuse me? Come again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye