PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A look ahead: Anyone with ideas of how to slow Brandon Marshall down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is probably true. My point was that Marshall wasn't much a factor in the first two games and a huge factor last night. Ironically, that was the Dolphins' first loss.

122 yards in a game is non existent?

I think Carl Spackler may be on to something.....

Carl Spackler: The thing to do with Smails is, if he bothers you, I'll take care of him. What you've got to do to Smails is, you cut the hamstring on the back of his leg, right at the bottom. He'll never play golf again, because he goes back, his weight displacement goes back, and he stays there. All his weight is on his right foot, and he'll be pushing everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

Caddyshack Quotes

Last edited:
Tackle him. Pretty short, I know what that is how you are going to mitigate him. His game is breaking tackles and making plays with the ball. You have to aknowledge that he is going to catch some balls, but the key is not allowing him to get additional yards. Bracket or cover 2 with Chung and keep McCourty on him. Keep the two surest tacklers in your backfield around him at all times.

Tackle him. Pretty short, I know what that is how you are going to mitigate him. His game is breaking tackles and making plays with the ball. You have to aknowledge that he is going to catch some balls, but the key is not allowing him to get additional yards. Bracket or cover 2 with Chung and keep McCourty on him. Keep the two surest tacklers in your backfield around him at all times.

I have to think that the Dolphins are going to find ways to get him on Arrington/Butler as much as possible. :(

122 yards in a game is non existent?

For a primary WR especially a guy who is an elite WR, I would say that is pretty much not a huge factor. It's all relative. Aaron Hernandez is averaging about 61 yards a game and he is the Pats' third option. If Randy Moss had 12 catches for 122 yards and no TDs in the first two games, they would have been killing him on the radio. The only thing that has stopped people from complaining about his performance this far is the three TDs.

Last edited:

BB usually keeps his CBs on their respective side. Do you think he makes an exception here? I think he should. McCourty is young, but it almost seems like BB was thinking of how to match up with guys like Marshall when drafting McCourty.

Marshall's fast for a guy his size, but he's not necessarily the fastest of receivers. I'd think that a jam at the line is almost a necessity, as our CBs should be able to catch up to him if they miss.

Are you guys really that worried about Brandon Marshall?
He really doesn't stretch the field that deep.
His career average reception is about 12 yards. Closer to 10 ypc this season.
Brandon Marshall NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Those are Welker type numbers.
Wes Welker NFL & AFL Football Statistics | Pro-Football-Reference.com
The Pats just need to play Marshall like they do any other good receiver.
Containment and pressure on the QB will be key to stopping the passing game as usual.

Brace has been playing well lately. If the Pats can bottle up Ronnie Brown and make the Fins attack predictable, stopping the passing game will be that much easier.

Containment and pressure on the QB will be key to stopping the passing game as usual.

Brace has been playing well lately. If the Pats can bottle up Ronnie Brown and make the Fins attack predictable, stopping the passing game will be that much easier.

Yup, I don't know where the Brandon Marshall deep threat thing has come from. He's always been a guy dangerous YAC guy, but never a real deep threat. A big Welker is right.

marshall is pretty awesome -

Were you sleeping through the Broncos game last season? :eek:

well lets see

Marshall is one of the best WR's in this league...the phins QB and O line are NOT

u need all three units to complete a successful pass play, so atk the line and QB to make marshall innefective from the start

Simple. Double team him and let Henne beat you

Hope he drops the ball

well lets see

Marshall is one of the best WR's in this league...the phins QB and O line are NOT

u need all three units to complete a successful pass play, so atk the line and QB to make marshall innefective from the start

Concur. Plan "B" would be to get him a date with Tanya Harding....... :rolleyes:

Were you sleeping through the Broncos game last season? :eek:

The issue in that game was tackling I believe. He didn't really burn anybody, but when he got the ball in his hands he just ran through our guys to the endzone.

When we hit him, we need to hit him high and hard. Don't try to go low, as he has quick and strong legs that can leap over and run through arm tackles.

The issue in that game was tackling I believe. He didn't really burn anybody, but when he got the ball in his hands he just ran through our guys to the endzone.

When we hit him, we need to hit him high and hard. Don't try to go low, as he has quick and strong legs that can leap over and run through arm tackles.

Tackling someone high is always a terrible idea. It is always better to hit someone low than high. If you hit him high his strong legs still serve to keep him up. The difference between a good tackle and a bad one is wrapping up. Too many corners and safeties in the league try to launch their bodies into the ball carrier but bring their arms into their chests instead of using them to wrap up an opposing ball carrier.

Say what you want about Arrington but he is a good tackler (we've seen this on special teams going back to last season). As long as McCourty and Arrington wrap up Marshall will only hurt us not kill us.

What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game.

gunga galunga :D

Tackling someone high is always a terrible idea. It is always better to hit someone low than high. If you hit him high his strong legs still serve to keep him up. The difference between a good tackle and a bad one is wrapping up. Too many corners and safeties in the league try to launch their bodies into the ball carrier but bring their arms into their chests instead of using them to wrap up an opposing ball carrier.

Say what you want about Arrington but he is a good tackler (we've seen this on special teams going back to last season). As long as McCourty and Arrington wrap up Marshall will only hurt us not kill us.

Double Marshall with McCourtey and Merriweather. Lets McCourty play him tight knowing he has help over the top.

Problem is then there is Bess/Hartline and the RB's to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back