PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A little early, but: should the Patriots try to re-sign Wes Welker?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker should have the good sense to realize that he isn't worth as much anywhere else. He has a great QB throwing to him now, where's he going to go to get that? 18M / 3 years with 12M guaranteed shoujld be more than enough...he should take one for the team.

Sometimes when he catches the ball it looks like the ball is about to swallow him up he's so tiny. All it takes is for him to slow down a bit and he'll be pedestrian. I like the guy too, but he needs to be realistic, he's not going to get paid like the true #1 guys.

That must be why they franchised him, because he wasn't going to get paid more by other teams. Seriously there has never been one intelligent argument made for not giving Welker a fair market deal, rather a bunch of madden based arguments about how slow and small he is and how paying him will deny them the ability to someday pay Branden Bolden, which is certainly more important than winning more rings before Brady hangs them up. every argument against Welker the past 3 years has been completely debunked by his consistently amazing play, and there is simply no way around that.

If the Patriots had taken the advice of the Welker bashers in this forum they would most likely be facing a play-off opponent with him playing for them, and his loss, combined with the unenviable task of trying to stop him would make trying to win another ring a much tougher proposition.

Ken, I never heard anyone say they would fall apart without Moss, what I remember was great support for the decision to trade him. And i would suggest that those who did say they were in trouble without Moss really weren't paying close attention to what was happening on the field, just as they aren't really paying close attention to what is actually happening on the field with Welker and are instead making abstract arguments to get rid of him based on some bizarre desire to replace him with a bigger WR. And in truth i honestly think his size has more to do with this issue than any other factor, as over and over and over again people have been clamoring for a big fast downfield WR to replace him while completely overlooking his production and importance to this offense.
There were a lot of people who were glad to see Moss go because of his outbursts during the season, but even some of those questioned the effect of loss to the offense, mediots and fans. I'm sure by that time BB knew what he had in Gronk/Hernandez, but we didn't...or didn't know for sure.

Yes, Ivan, a lot people are looking at players like AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Johnson, Demetrious Thomas, etc, etc, and long for that kind of threat here. So do I. But I don't think any of us see that player as a replacement for Welker, but rather as a different kind of threat, that goes along with Welker.

welker does something no other reciever has been able to do for Brady, he gets open immediately and negates the ability for defenses to blitz the sh.t out of Brady because he will not only be free instantly but will make big yards after the catch and makes defenses pay all day long.
That's not true all the time, Ivan. Otherwise he'd have 170 catches. Some teams can effectively cover Wes and make him less effective. Every receiver can be shut down, but there is a cost

The Patriots have spent the last few offseasons rebuilding their defense, and it is now looking like that project is almost complete. couple that with the next few seasons being the end run of brady's career and it makes absolutely no sense in any way to get rid of his most productive abd reliable target as they embark on that stretch run. I have never suggested their offense will fall apart without Welker, it won't, it will still be very good, but I really see no reason to downgrade the best offense in history when there are Championships to be had the next 3-4 years. it simply makes no sense. you don't deliberately get worse when you can finish one of the greatest runs ever with more rings.
Here's the point you don't seem to get. Everyone wants Welker back. Everyone thinks Welker is worth the money (at least next year). But what you don't get is that its not JUST about Welker. Its about whatthe cost of that 4 for 40 deal will effect the rest of the roster. Who will the Pats NOT be able to re-sign because they signed Welker. Will the drop off from Volmer to Cannon be less than Welker to Edelman for example. Or will the drop off from Talib to Arrington/Coles be greater

I'm not sure we can sign everyone to what THEY want, unless we do those back end deals like the Jets always do where the first year's cap number is ridiculously low and 2 years later you're in cap hell. And if you do that, when it comes time to extend Jones, Hightower, and Dennard, you won't have the cap space for the defense you spent so much time trying to develop.

Believe me, Ivan, I don't know the right answer here. I just know that you CANNOT just say, "pay the man" Not without careful consideration of the consequences of that actioin.

Give him 4-40 and close out the Brady era with 2-3 more rings, that's what i want and how i see it, and i believe it is the best course of action for their team.
I don't think you can give him that much and still keep the other parts you need. just on the injury risk alone. I know he's been incredibly durable, but so were Brady and Mankins....before they weren't.

I'm not saying let Welker walk. I'm saying make him a fair offer that doesn't destroy your salary structure and let Welker decide if its enough to stay.

Let me ask you a question that is probably being asked in the Pats FO when they are planing what to offer the FA's. Which would benefit the Pats more? Having a top 10 defense, and only 3 great targets for Brady, or having the 25th best defense and having 4 great targets. Its not like the Pats are going to ask him to play for free. I'm sure their offer will be in the 6-8MM/yr rang with half guaranteed on a 3-4 year contract. That's NOT chump change.

BTW- thanks for presenting your arguments for your position without the rancor

Last edited:
tumblr_mfvcdxnba01qclcbeo1_500.jpg

I'll let that do the talking for me.

Here's the point you don't seem to get. Everyone wants Welker back. Everyone thinks Welker is worth the money (at least next year). But what you don't get is that its not JUST about Welker. Its about whatthe cost of that 4 for 40 deal will effect the rest of the roster. Who will the Pats NOT be able to re-sign because they signed Welker. Will the drop off from Volmer to Cannon be less than Welker to Edelman for example.
Don't kid yourself. Sebastian Vollmer will get at least a 4 year $30 million contract, if not substantially higher, on the open market for offensively deprived teams that don't field offensive lines whatsoever: Eagles, Bears, Chargers, Cardinals, Rams (to name a few)

Don't kid yourself. Sebastian Vollmer will get at least a 4 year $30 million contract, if not substantially higher, on the open market for offensively deprived teams that don't field offensive lines whatsoever: Eagles, Bears, Chargers, Cardinals, Rams (to name a few)
Tip I'd be thrilled to get Volmer for that price.

Here's the point you don't seem to get. Everyone wants Welker back. Everyone thinks Welker is worth the money (at least next year). But what you don't get is that its not JUST about Welker. Its about whatthe cost of that 4 for 40 deal will effect the rest of the roster. Who will the Pats NOT be able to re-sign because they signed Welker. Will the drop off from Volmer to Cannon be less than Welker to Edelman for example. Or will the drop off from Talib to Arrington/Coles be greater.
Don't kid yourself. Aqib Talib will get at least a 5 year $50 million dollar contract on the open market, especially for a cornerback starved team such as the Indianapolis Colts (Darius Butler ring a bell?), who incidentally will have $40+ million in salary cap space available for the 2013 NFL Season.

That makes sense but I thought that it had more to do with Indy offering a much better deal at 3 years.

Where did his relationship with Pagano come from, he's a DC for an opposing team?
I think he was his receiver coach at UMiami, and might have been the guy who recruited him to Miami, though I'm less sure about that

You don't pay offensive right tackles left tackle franchise money in the salary cap era.

Besides, since 2001 the New England Patriots have been able to identify, select, and develop offensive tackles within the first three rounds of the NFL Draft (Light, Vollmer, Kaczur).

Furthermore, the New England Patriots have three offensive right tackles under contract for the 2013 NFL Season: Cannon, Zusevics, Hix. Supplement the aforementioned three offensive right tackles with a 2013 NFL Draft selection (rounds 1 or 2 or 3), the New England Patriots should be able to withstand the loss of Sebastian Vollmer via unrestricted free agency.

Finally, Scarnecchia is the best in the business in developing offensive linemen.

Don't kid yourself. Aqib Talib will get at least a 5 year $50 million dollar contract on the open market, especially for a cornerback starved team such as the Indianapolis Colts (Darius Butler ring a bell?), who incidentally will have $40+ million in salary cap space available for the 2013 NFL Season.
I'm afraid you are too close to being right on this one. I'm hoping the superbowl run, the Patriots experience, and his past bad acts will drop that number to the $8/year range. Remember he's one bad urination from a full year's suspension.

But as soon as I saw that the franchise tag on CB's was over $10MM, I knew getting Talib back was going to be very difficult. Unfortunately he has the perfect size and skill set for what we need him to be.

However this is going to be a very good safety draft. Maybe the answer is to let Talib walk, draft a S, and move McCourty back to CB and hope Dowling can stay healthy. and give the money to Welker and Volmer. Its all very disconcerting. I'll be glad when the bye week is over and we can table all this worrisome speculation until after the superbowl

Last edited:
I'm afraid you are too close to being right on this one. I'm hoping the superbowl run, the Patriots experience, and his past bad acts will drop that number to the $8/year range. Remember he's one bad urination from a full year's suspension.
That did not stop the Tampa Bay Buccaneers from signing wide receiver Vincent Jackson to a $5 year $55 million contract, who incidentally is one strike away from a year long suspension (multiple DUI arrests).

But as soon as I saw that the franchise tag on CB's was over $10MM, I knew getting Talib back was going to be very difficult. Unfortunately he has the perfect size and skill set for what we need him to be.

However this is going to be a very good safety draft. Maybe the answer is to let Talib walk, draft a S, and move McCourty back to CB and hope Dowling can stay healthy. and give the money to Welker and Volmer. Its all very disconcerting. I'll be glad when the bye week is over and we can table all this worrisome speculation until after the superbowl
If the New England Patriots win the Super Bowl, the vultures will be out in full force prying away unrestricted free agents with over-the-top contracts.

Last edited:
There used to be a cap simulator sort of like the ESPN playoff machine. Anyone know what happened to it?

Will resigning Welker come at the expense of someone like Woodhead, Talib, Vollmer next year, and Spikes the year after?

Last edited:

Sorry Ken, but these kinds of comments show just how little you value Welker. You have steadfastly refused to give him a deal like this but would do so for a RT who while good is injury plagued and unreliable. 30 million for Vollmer but 16 for Welker, it's flat out crazy and debunks your argument that it is about using cap space wisely. Whereas Welker is tough as nails and one of the most dependable players on the team Vollmer has proven just the opposite. For some reason you value a RT who can actually be replaced more than a HOF receiver who Brady relies on heavily. the truth, at least as I see it Ken, is that you and the others who have been calling for them to offer Welker peanuts really want them to get rid of him because you are either infatuated with Julian Edelman, who has proven to be nothing more than a back-up, or they are infatuated with getting a Mike Wallace type reciever, which would be a complete waste of resources.

Bottom line, when you won't pay Welker what he is worth but are willing to give a player who has basically played 2 games for NE 8 million a year, or an injury plagued RT 30-4 then it blows up your argument that it is about fiscal responsibility and makes it clear it is about placing zero value on a player who has performed at HOF levels his entire career here.

There used to be a cap simulator sort of like the ESPN playoff machine. Anyone know what happened to it?

Will resigning Welker come at the expense of someone like Woodhead, Talib, Vollmer next year, and Spikes the year after?

All of those players are replaceable, Welker isn't. Welker is going to go to the HOF, none of those you lised have any shot. When you have a HOF player it is a rare commodity and you keep it. beyond that signing welker isn 't going to cost them the ability to sign any of those players, but what other teams offer them will, as the patriots are not going to go up to the figures other teams will for some of them. Anyone who wants to pay Talib 8 million a year can have him, he has done nothing to show he deserves it. Vollmer is a very good RT but he has serious back issues and cannot be relied on to play over the course of any long term deal, and big money is risky. Woodhead is a player who I would bet the farm will be back, the Patriots won't have trouble getting this done.

Spikes is another case altogether. as much as I like Spikes, and I really see him as a force in the middle, however his comments before the Super Bowl and a strong streak of irresponsibility are going to make this a very difficult deal to get done. Spikes wants to be a superstar, and said so before last year's Super Bowl, and I think he is going to want at least 2X what NE will be willing to pay him. They may tag him but I really think Belichick sees him as a run stopper and won't give him the 50 million he is going to demand. I could be way off on this but this is the sense i get from him.

None of these deals are related to Welker, and paying him isn't going to determine their ability to sign them or not, and suggesting it will is a red herring. While paying a player has a relation to what else they can do there is not the direct relationship some here are suggesting, and the fact that they paid Brady or Wilfork had absolutely no bearing on those they either did or did not sign in coming years.

Here is the challenge for those who are suggesting that signing Welker would keep them from re-signing other players. The Patriots signed three of their best players, Brady, Wilfork, and Mankins to big fair market deals. Name the players they wanted to re-sign but couldn't because of those signings?

Here is the challenge for those who are suggesting that signing Welker would keep them from re-signing other players. The Patriots signed three of their best players, Brady, Wilfork, and Mankins to big fair market deals. Name the players they wanted to re-sign but couldn't because of those signings?

Seymour. They chose to spend the $$ on Vince instead. At least that was their story? :)

Welker will get money and we shall be happy. Just need another fella to stretch the field like Lloyd and we will be the deadliest offense if we stay healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seymour. They chose to spend the $$ on Vince instead. At least that was their story? :)

Nice try, but you can't claim that a deal signed in march 2010 cost them a player they traded in September 2009. Seymour was unhappy in NE and wasn't going to get the money he wanted here regardless of what they were going to do with anyone else.

I do give you credit for trying though, I have a feeling that very few are going to do so because there simply is no evidence that it has happened. It will be interesting to see in anyone can come up with players they lost because of those deals because in all honesty i really can't think of one.

Wes Welker a nifty little slot receiver was one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back