A "lessons learned" story for some of the big name watchers hereabouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://philadelphia.comcastsportsnet.com/view_content_0p.asp?ID=34691

General manager Tom Heckert admitted recently that, if given the chance to do it over again, he would not have signed Terrell Owens. Lurie agreed.

“I would not do it again,†Lurie said. “You look back on it – one year great, the second year a disaster. Nobody should be able to be as disruptive and really cut the energy of the team down after what happened last year. I think we all learned from that.â€

Lurie learned what he had known all along – that a football team’s success is contingent upon having more than just talented players.

“When we’re in the draft room, or approaching free agency or picking players or trading players, character is probably No. 1 … if you don’t get past the character test, the teamwork test, you’re not going to be on the Philadelphia Eagles,†said Lurie, who cited the last two Super Bowl winners, the Patriots and Steelers, as examples.

Pittsburgh last season overcame a three-game losing streak by winning eight straight – the last of which was the victory in the Super Bowl. The New England team that beat the Eagles in Super Bowl XXXIX did so despite numerous injuries.

“On paper you wouldn’t say they’d win Super Bowls like they did,†Lurie said. “It’s different from any other sport. If you don’t have the chemistry, the talent and the help, with high-character people, you’re not going to surive those downturns in the middle of the season.â€

From your subject heading, Box,
should we infer that you find this apposite Deion?

Deion is a camp holdout during a contract negotiation - no big whoop. My title refers to the standard practice of spotting a "name" (e.g. Ray Lewis and even TO) and instantly demanding we shell out the big bucks - I know I'm not alone in viewing that behavior as contrary to current NEP practices. As the article suggests, the Eagles' management has been reassessing some of their thinking on the subject. :D

flutie2phelan said:
From your subject heading, Box,
should we infer that you find this apposite Deion?
I think the key phrase in the "lessons learned" story is:

Lurie learned what he had known all along – that a football team’s success is contingent upon having more than just talented players.

Don't worry, Lurie, it's something that even we Patsfans sometimes forget, that three of four years ago Pioli said, "We are not collecting talented players, we're builiding a team."

Last edited:
In Bill (and Scott) we trust.

I've been a little disheartened to see the chicken little syndrome starting up again. Ye Gads its only day 6 and reading some posts and listening to wags like Andy Hart on PFW you would think we will be battling the Bills for the cellar. Maybe newer Patriot fans don't have the perspective of 40 years of incompetence but I'm happy with whatever Bill and Scott do. They won't be right all the time and we won't win the Super Bowl every year but we'll have a shot every year. Let's enjoy the construction of a team and see how it turns out (probably very good) and see how people develop or don't.

Football IS the ultimate team sport.

I know that is an over used statement but I believe it to be true.

What Laurie said, and what us Patriots fans should know by now, is that you don't need a team full of stars.

You need a team of good football players who are team oriented.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amd where is Lurie from???? To think he almost bought the Pats....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing