PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Kensil smoking gun.....maybe

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I wrote this post in another thread, but all of sudden I wondered if it was worthy of its own thread for a thorough discussion. It should be noted that to this point in time, I never heard that Kensiil actually "re-inflated" the "deflated" balls at half time.

"On the read earlier today and caught Ben Volin on the radio. Volin has now fallen into the crowd that knows that the NFL is unlikely to prove anything against the Pats, but that doesn't mean they didn't do something. On the plus side, he thinks the whole affair was overblown and unnecessary from the start,. He also stated that while it was interesting in the beginning, he is now tired of it, and the Welles report can't come soon enough, so it will all finally stop

BTW- none of that shocks or surprises me. He's a pretentious little turd to start with. However then he mentioned something that at first made sense, but the more I thought about it, it could be the smoking gun that blows this out of the water. When the talk turned to the Kensil conspiracy theory, Volin expressed skepticism because he questioned why would he have re-inflated the balls at half time, thus destroying the evidence that the Pats had done anything wrong.

Then it struck me (for I am getting a little slower every year), that by re-inflating the balls at the half, what Kensil was ACTUALLY doing was destroying the proof of the Pats INNOCENCE. If it was true that the balls were only marginally deflated, if at all, Kensil's sting and his biased agenda becomes exposed. By just saying he re-inflated then, he not only destroys the only way the Pats could have conclusively proved their innocence, he is free to imply that the ball needed to be inflated and the Pats had done something.....and there is no way for the Pats conclusively prove otherwise, as the evidence has been essentially destroyed
Kensil doesn't need to have the Pats found guilty to win. He just needs the possibility of wrong doing to taint the Pats irreparably. and by destroying the evidence he succeeded. Also Volin's take might have had more legitimacy if all those continually negative phrased leaks hadn't been coming from the league office, even after Goodell demanded they stop.

So someone needs to get Welles to ask, why did Kensil re-inflate the balls, which not only makes finding the Pats guilty impossible, but finding them innocent as well. He also needs to find the sources of all those damaging but erroneous leaks, That's very, very fishy behavior from the guy who is supposed to be in charge of league operations."

Last edited:
I wrote this post in another thread, but all of sudden I wondered if it was worthy of its own thread for a thorough discussion. It should be noted that to this point in time, I never heard that Kensiil actually "re-inflated" the "deflated" balls at half time.

"On the read earlier today and caught Ben Volin on the radio. Volin has now fallen into the crowd that knows that the NFL is unlikely to prove anything against the Pats, but that doesn't mean they didn't do something. On the plus side, he thinks the whole affair was overblown and unnecessary from the start,. He also stated that while it was interesting in the beginning, he is now tired of it, and the Welles report can't come soon enough, so it will all finally stop

BTW- none of that shocks or surprises me. He's a pretentious little turd to start with. However then he mentioned something that at first made sense, but the more I thought about it, it could be the smoking gun that blows this out of the water. When the talk turned to the Kensil conspiracy theory, Volin expressed skepticism because he questioned why would he have re-inflated the balls at half time, thus destroying the evidence that the Pats had done anything wrong.

Then it struck me (for I am getting a little slower every year), that by re-inflating the balls at the half, what Kensil was ACTUALLY doing was destroying the proof of the Pats INNOCENCE. If it was true that the balls were only marginally deflated, if at all, Kensil's sting and his biased agenda becomes exposed. By just saying he re-inflated then, he not only destroys the only way the Pats could have conclusively proved their innocence, he is free to imply that the ball needed to be inflated and the Pats had done something.....and there is no way for the Pats conclusively prove otherwise, as the evidence has been essentially destroyed
Kensil doesn't need to have the Pats found guilty to win. He just needs the possibility of wrong doing to taint the Pats irreparably. and by destroying the evidence he succeeded. Also Volin's take might have had more legitimacy if all those continually negative phrased leaks hadn't been coming from the league office, even after Goodell demanded they stop.

So someone needs to get Welles to ask, why did Kensil re-inflate the balls, which not only makes finding the Pats guilty impossible, but finding them innocent as well. He also needs to find the sources of all those damaging but erroneous leaks, That's very, very fishy behavior from the guy who is supposed to be in charge of league operations."

You are missing the most important point.
The balls WERE underinflated. They HAD TO BE, because they were filled at room temperature then taken outside to 40 degrees and rain, for a few hours, then retested.
Unless they found footballs that defy the laws of nature, they had to be underinflated. We might as well say the Patriots cheated because the balls didn't defy the laws of gravity and float out of the stadium.

In doing so, Kensil turns it into he said/she said that at best finds the Patriots punished, and at worst sees the Patriots smeared, as they have.

It's quite possible that all the people involved legitimately thought the Patriots were doing something wrong and were purely ignorant to the fact that a ball would depressurize when exposed to colder air.

The balls WERE underinflated. They HAD TO BE, because they were filled at room temperature then taken outside to 40 degrees and rain, for a few hours, then retested.
Unless they found footballs that defy the laws of nature, they had to be underinflated. We might as well say the Patriots cheated because the balls didn't defy the laws of gravity and float out of the stadium.

Also a very good point.

But I think Ken's point still has merit - the NFL wants to harp on the balls being under spec. It makes it a binary choice - yeah, Kensil had to "reinflate" the balls. It looks bad for the Patriots b/c they left out that little detail about how nature demands this to be the case and that in all the football games ever played, had this same measurement taken place, any team that inflated to the low-end and had their balls measured below room temperature would've been in the same situation the Patriots are now.

In short, as I said before: the NFL banked (and banked right) on guilty until proven innocent. Both in the court of public opinion, and possibly in their own dealings, as Goodell himself has said he wants to lower the burden of proof in cases like this.

There's another mess the NFL has created for the Pats......

No way to prove that the balls we only a tick or so under spec unless the PSI for each ball was recorded at halftime.

I can't believe the NFL would be dumb enough not to record each ball's psi......on second thought......

He shouldn't have any problem finding the leak.......

I miss when it was 40 degrees outside...

Also a very good point.

But I think Ken's point still has merit - the NFL wants to harp on the balls being under spec. It makes it a binary choice - yeah, Kensil had to "reinflate" the balls. It looks bad for the Patriots b/c they left out that little detail about how nature demands this to be the case and that in all the football games ever played, had this same measurement taken place, any team that inflated to the low-end and had their balls measured below room temperature would've been in the same situation the Patriots are now.

In short, as I said before: the NFL banked (and banked right) on guilty until proven innocent. Both in the court of public opinion, and possibly in their own dealings, as Goodell himself has said he wants to lower the burden of proof in cases like this.
How did they leave out the 'detail' that the balls were used on Earth and on Earth temperature affects pressure?
Do you really think the Wells report is going to say:

Kensil says the balls were underinflated, and he blew them up, so therefore we conclude the Patriots took air out of the ball, and Kensilology is hereby adopted as Science by the league?

At this point, I would argue whether the pats balls were any different than the colts balls save the one that spent some time on the colts sideline. I'm starting to believe they rounded up the pats balls, called them under inflated and then maybe inflated them or said they inflated them to 'lock in' the controversy with zero ability to refute.

How did they leave out the 'detail' that the balls were used on Earth and on Earth temperature affects pressure?
Do you really think the Wells report is going to say:

Kensil says the balls were underinflated, and he blew them up, so therefore we conclude the Patriots took air out of the ball, and Kensilology is hereby adopted as Science by the league?

Don't get me wrong - they can't leave it out of the Wells report. And if Columbia did in fact assign one of their scientists to this thing, and they spent any length of time on it, then it will be included and the report, and it will bode well for us.

But, to date, it seems that nobody involved from a football standpoint has considered PV = nRT until Belichick brought it up in his presser. Only after that did Wells reach out to Columbia. So, in the meanwhile, we've taken a beaten over people being ignorant to it.

At this point, I would argue whether the pats balls were any different than the colts balls save the one that spent some time on the colts sideline. I'm starting to believe they rounded up the pats balls, called them under inflated and then maybe inflated them or said they inflated them to 'lock in' the controversy with zero ability to refute.

I'm sure the Colts balls had already adjusted to the temperature before they were tested. I doubt they brought them into the hotel, and likely took them from the bus to the refs.
This is one of the silly parts of the whole thing, the assumption that both teams balls started out the same.

Don't get me wrong - they can't leave it out of the Wells report. And if Columbia did in fact assign one of their scientists to this thing, and they spent any length of time on it, then it will be included and the report, and it will bode well for us.

But, to date, it seems that nobody involved from a football standpoint has considered PV = nRT until Belichick brought it up in his presser. Only after that did Wells reach out to Columbia. So, in the meanwhile, we've taken a beaten over people being ignorant to it.
I don't understand. Are you saying that because some people don't understand science the league will ignore it? Ken's point implied the balls were not underinflated and Kensil pretended they were. We know that cannot be true.

I don't understand. Are you saying that because some people don't understand science the league will ignore it?

I'm not sure about that, I sure hope they won't ignore it. I'm just saying, to date, the league is part of the "people who don't understand science."

I'm not sure about that, I sure hope they won't ignore it. I'm just saying, to date, the league is part of the "people who don't understand science."
What are you basing that on? What comment has the league made to make you believe that?
The one I saw was that they were hiring scientist from Columbia to explain the science to them, which means they recognize it is a factor and will be fully educated about it.

1/25
Sharks of Vegas‏@SharksOfVegas
Mike Kensil, remember that name guys.......

1/25
Sharks of Vegas‏@SharksOfVegas
BREAKING -Source CONFIRMS NFL Investigation is more about the officials than the Patriots.

Today:
Sharks of Vegas ‏@SharksOfVegas 15m15 minutes ago
Unless he can find a scapegoat, Mike Kensil is going to get fired guys.

I believe SoV also stated that their sources were telling them that the NFL had nothing on the Patriots, that there would be no sanctions and that there would be a quick (within a couple days) resolution. The last part obviously didn't happen but I don't ding them or their sources for how something this political has played out.

One thing is true, SoV have been stating from the very beginning that this was a witchhunt by Kensil.

From the exchange below, it seems to me that SoV feels like many of us that this may have been an unofficial sting between Grigson and Kensil.

Christopher O'Day ‏@oday_dizza54 42m42 minutes ago
@SharksOfVegas key is who gm from Colts told. If it's kensil and he set this sting in motion w out commish..done

Sharks of Vegas ‏@SharksOfVegas 40m40 minutes ago
@oday_dizza54 that is 100% correct sir

Last edited:
What are you basing that on? What comment has the league made to make you believe that?
The one I saw was that they were hiring scientist from Columbia to explain the science to them, which means they recognize it is a factor and will be fully educated about it.

You are giving the league the benefit of the doubt.

- The NFL by its own statement admitted the investigation began Sunday night, January 18th, and in that statement, referenced interviewing over forty people and going through video evidence. No mention was made of science.

- On January 20th, Troy Vincent suggested the investigation would wrap up in "two to three days."

- On January 24th, Bill Belichick becomes the first person to introduce science to the discussion.

- It was on January 26th that the NFL reached out to Columbia. That same day, Wells now reveals, contradicting the NFL's prior statement, that the investigation will take "several more weeks."

remember the patriots filed tampering charges against the Jets hours before ex Jet guy Kensil did all this

The real smoking gun is that a guy as high up as Kensil was personally testing the goddamn balls. Maybe my understand of how the NFL works is skewed all to hell but that's one crazy ****ing hands-on approach for a guy to not have some emotional investment in the outcome of all this.

Who is this Sharks of Vegas guy?

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back