Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Horrifying Statistic

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Wolfpack, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We all saw the left in here running around in a panic, whining and complaining about the 1,500 millionaires who didn't pay any income taxes last year. ABCNews had a great article about it.

"So how did they do it? Were they scamming the system? Evading the IRS? Stashing their cash in elusive off-shore, untraceable bank accounts?

Actually, they were probably donating to charity, investing in local and state government bonds and making most of their money overseas."

What a bunch of ***holes! Giving money to charity like that to avoid taxes! Anyway, the "horrifying statistic" comes from the following paragraph from the same article:

"But these millionaires are not the only Americans skipping out on federal income tax. A full 46 percent of the population pays zero income tax. The vast majority of these income-tax-free households have low incomes and qualify for child tax credits."

That, my friends, is why this nation is bankrupt. Almost half the country pays nothing while collecting plenty.

But you guys keep focusing on those 1,500 millionaires, while ignoring the 100 million freeloaders. Yeah that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Three things.

Where's the link, why did you choose to focus only on "donating to charity" and ignore "making most of their money overseas," and do you know what the word "probably" means?

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

Never fails to befuddle how the right wants to continue to hold the richest people in this country completely unnacountable, while wanting to make the middle class and poor folks have less. But you fail to mention that the 47% are not necessarily the lower economic half of society, but those who play games with the tax code..

Even more horrifying is that we have 300 Billion + in uncollected taxes... :eek::eek::eek:

Perhaps all that talk about the "Power Elite" that took place 4 decades ago is completely coming to fruition...

Our view on financing government: When 47% don't pay income tax, it's not healthy for USA - USATODAY.com

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,116 / 3 / -10

All left wing liberals wish they were rich.
    I wish I was rich.
    What would poor people do without Rich People.

5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 22 / -19

Starve the poor! Make them pay taxes! The right speaks again, blaming the poor for our economic problems. More horrifying than the statistic is the message behind it. Thank god that kind of thinking went out 100 years ago.

Unlike some people, I'd prefer my tax money spent helping people lift themselves up than on the alternative--more police, more courts, and more prisons, when people become desperate.

How conveniently the sycophants of wealth simply ignore the fact that our economic problems began in the 1980s, when the march to cut taxes for the wealthy was not met by any serious effort to increase revenue in other ways. How those who worship the King now worship the wealthy, and are the jealous of the poor. It would be funny if the reasoning behind it wasn't so callous.

And by the way, I can imagine there may be some right wingers out there who might not realize that most of the poor people in the US are white.

Persons Below Poverty Level in the U.S., 1975–2007 — Infoplease.com

6. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

If te poor didn't collect so many free government services which are paid for by the rich, I don't think there would be so much issues from the right, and I agree.

I don't think we should be providing so much free services, and I don't want my money to support certain habits, therefore I will try and hide my money as best as possible, and I am not even rich.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +566 / 22 / -19

If they're poor, then what good are the rich to them? What's your point?

8. Patters

Ratings:
    +566 / 22 / -19

What services do you object to? Do you think poor kids should have homes? food? schools? Do you think people who are disabled should have homes? food? schools? Most poor people get very little from the government, even in a liberal state like Massachusetts. A poor person here might get $75/week + $40/week in foodstamps, not much to live on. These are typically poor people who are not ill, but for some reason or another cannot find work. If we gave them nothing, they would probably have no choice but to turn to crime, and you'd instead be paying for police, courts, and prisons.

I would not admit to tax fraud, if that's what you mean by "hiding" your money, on a blog if I was you. That's illegal, and I hope most of us are law abiding Americans even when we disagree with the law.

9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

For what it's worth - and I realize it probably won't be worth much (in fact, you might even consider it a badge of honor) but up until now you were one of a handful of people where whom I respected in spite of our differences.

Not any more, though.

10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +813 / 26 / -33

Correction paid by the middle class...

There are less "free" services now than there ever was.. TANF(welfare) is down by 75% in most states...

It appears that since George Bush started the class war on the poor and middle class, they have done quite well.. stock portfolios are up 700+%, housing values are down about 35%... all that we were told was lies.

11. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +217 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

In a time of financial distress, this one program could be cut without causing as much damage as other programs (food stamps, schools)
    Free cellphone program for the poor draws critics - latimes.com

>>>Is having a cellphone a basic human right?
    In more than half the states in America, people who are eligible for Medicaid and food stamps may also be eligible for a free cellphone and 250 free minutes a month.
    “””

12. Patters

Ratings:
    +566 / 22 / -19

The free cell phone program I know about provides people with a free cellphone and usually a very small number of minutes (I think 50). It's especially a good program for people in rehabs who are job hunting, but don't really want a prospective employer calling the rehab. "Hi, Boston alcohol rehab. May I help you?" It's awful hard to job hunt if you don't have a phone and are homeless.

13. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +773 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

That's fine - but the cost isn't really being provided for by the government, is it?

I've been trying to research it and it doesn't appear to be a federally funded program at all.

The phones come from private carriers and they are reimbursed a portion of the cost by something called Universal Service which is funded by various communication networks.

All telecommunications carriers that provide service internationally and between states contribute into the Universal Service Fund. USAC makes payments from this central fund to support the High Cost, Low Income, Rural Health Care, and Schools and Libraries programs.

Purpose of the Universal Service Fund (USF) - USF - About USAC - USAC

As stated, they also provide funds for several other programs - the most (by far) expensive one is called "The High Cost Program" which we all benefit from.

High Cost Program - USF Programs - About USAC - USAC

High Cost: $4.27 billion
    Low Income: $1.32 billion
    Rural Health Care: $86.0 million
    Schools & Libraries: $2.28 billion

Universal Service Fund Facts - About USF - USAC

14. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,116 / 3 / -10

Aunt Zucchini..........