Welcome to PatsFans.com

A good election for liberals

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Collective bargaining restored in Ohio

Iowa State Legislature remains Democratic hands (protecting marriage equality)

Mississippi abortion law defeated

Return of same day registration in Maine

Dems win almost all major statewide races in Kentucky

Arizona State Senate leader (nationally prominent Tea Party bigot) recalled

Anti-teacher Republican State Senator recalled in Michigan

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +911 / 14 / -7

Yep. Of course to the rabid right, it's a good election for "union thugs and baby murderers."

The "class of 2010," nationwide, has overreached, and the people are sick of it.

One year, folks. Righties, you keep believing that fertilized eggs and corporations are people, but working people aren't. Box office magic.

PFnV

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

This was a good election for America, not just liberals..

4. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +911 / 14 / -7

Well put Darryl

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I don't believe Americans see collective bargaining for PUBLIC employees being a good thing...

We can't have our politicians who depend upon the vote of public unions, endorsing collective bargaining.

Just my opinion, but I believe collective bargaining for public unions is already on it's deathbed. At least that is my hope. Otherwise, we'll continuously have to raise taxes just to ensure pension plans are solvent.

Did you hear that Rhode Island?:D

6. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Minus the Americans in Ohio, of course.

7. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

That Mississippi law was insane, it should have been beaten 100-0

8. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

Despite what is written by the right wing propagandists.. Unions are good for America..

9. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Private unions are great for America.

Public unions are life sucking leeches that provide the basis for continuously raising taxes to support them.

Public unions also provide an unethical relationship with elected officials. I believe they are dying and like many Americans, I celebrate that death.

And like other Americans with like thinking, this is not a right or left belief.

Every time you label something something "right or left" you diminish your capacity for intelligence Darryl.

It almost seems as if you use that tactic as a weapon...I don't think you're that small a man...or are you?

Let me ask you...

Why is Rhode Island phukkked fiscally?

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

Going to ignore your personal attack and move on.. unfortunately, as much as you do not want it to be, it is a r/l scenario..

11. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +911 / 14 / -7

Kind if a class is right/left dichotomy, innit?

Union bashing gets you cheaper labor. It redounds to the benefit of the wealthy to the detriment of the middle class.

It also directly assaults the Dems' one institutional counter to the big money on the Republican side.

It's not only right/left, it's classically partisan.

Give the rhetoric a rest, PR... or if you're just parroting someone else's rhetoric, examine it critically before posting, will ya?

PFnV

12. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

How about if you give YOUR rhetoric a rest? ;)

I am exclusively discussing PUBLIC unions. What I write are my own thoughts/opinions.

I see PUBLIC unions as a cost to society. If they prosper, that means taxes get raised....can you tell us why that's a good thing?

Why allow something to exist that continuously provides the same benefit at a continuously higher cost to society? And by that, I'm referring to the fact that the cost of public unions continuously outpaces inflation.

I will not allow my taxes to be raised to bail out public pensions when no one will bail out the private sector.

Think you need to get used that PFIVA. Taxpayers will not tolerate that.

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

personal attack??:eek:

grow up Darryl! Seriously...grow up.

14. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

When you say things like
    you are not writing your own thoughts/opinions - you are making rash statements on behalf of "taxpayers" everywhere.

And, as evidenced by the vote yesterday in Ohio, they will, indeed tolerate that.

Collective bargaining for public employees is not just about pension plans and wage increases - it is dialogue about how to best serve the public - and who better to know what's needed than the very people providing the service?

Do you want a bunch of executives and politicians who've never been in a classroom deciding how many kids is too many kids? Do you want politicians and executives deciding what equipment the fire department's going to need for that new high rise being built or do you want a few fireman with some real experience telling them what's needed? Should the bureaucrats and the eecutives and the politicians decide how many cops to put on the street or should the cop that's going to be on that street have an opportunity to add his opinion and have it weighed in the decision making process?

I realize it's more dramatic to beat your breast and make grand pronouncements about what you will and will not allow - but get real.

15. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +305 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Patters, I think you do yourself and "liberals" in a general a disservice when you title these threads "good election for Liberals". Just as the righties do when they make up some silly thread title when their side wins.

There were aspects of last night's results that would be considered good for most people who want their government held responsible and kept in check (the MS abortion vote). A point Darryl made and I'm completely on board with.

Unless of course you were playing the age old classic, "Na-na, Na-na Boo Boo, stick your hand in doo-doo" - my "side" won.

This sophomoric game of one-ups-manship played by both fringes is about as cool as sunburn and is example number 1 of why this country is so effed. It isnt about what is best for Americans as a whole, it has turned into a circus freakshow of we won, no we won, no our side is right, no our side is right. The day that Americans come together again and want to work together, to fight our common ills, rather than rub the other teams face in shyt will be the first day of the rest of our lives.

That being said liked the results of last night and I am not a liberal.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

I base my comments on trends across AMErica. What I see is Americans not tolerating public unions. This is an exception.

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +676 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

Keep tellin' yourself that.

18. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Drewski, I hear what you're saying, but I look at this forum as being political so like to try to make people take sides (which is what politics is all about), rather than wallow in the comfort of the middle. In my opinion, you are fairly liberal, and not just based on this post, but based on your comments about Obama's foreign policy and even your views on foreign trade are closer to a classical liberal point of view (that globalization, provided it's done with human rights in mind, is good) than the more Democratic point of view (protect American jobs). (On globalization, these days liberals and Democrats are schizophrenic, IMHO!)

19. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +511 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

But the REALITY is, there are no "sides" to pick

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

In politics we always pick sides at election time; there may not be much difference between them, but we choose based on the measly differences there are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.