PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A gem from Fred Smerlas

Status
Not open for further replies.

jczxohn1

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
As an ex-nose tackle, Fred commented on Vince's recent improvement today on WEEI. He's playing furhter back off the ball, 1 1/2 yds, which allows him to see the double team coming and either block or beat it, also, get his hands into position before contact. BB commented, "yea, he's playing a lot better, but we got to get him moved up a little bit."

My turn for dumb football question.

Why? :)

I'm not great with DL stuff, but if moving back off a the ball a bit more has improved his play so much, why do we need to get him moved up? What's the downside?

T-ShirtDynasty said:
My turn for dumb football question.

Why? :)

I'm not great with DL stuff, but if moving back off a the ball a bit more has improved his play so much, why do we need to get him moved up? What's the downside?

Not sure myself, but I suppose it would make more of a difference in a short ydg or QB sneak situation. I do remembr he was getting flattened by centers early in the season, presumably when he was playing closer.

I'll have to break out the measuring tape, but I haven't noticed him playing 4 1/2 ft off the line? I just think his technique has improved as he finally connects what he's learning in the classroom with what he's seeing and doing on the field. Bruschi stepping up alongside him to make a call doesn't hurt either.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I'll have to break out the measuring tape, but I haven't noticed him playing 4 1/2 ft off the line? I just think his technique has improved as he finally connects what he's learning in the classroom with what he's seeing and doing on the field. Bruschi stepping up alongside him to make a call doesn't hurt either.
My apologies to Smerlas, Vince is indeed playing further off the line, though 1 1/2 yds may be a stretch. I went back to look at several games and he is now up to 3 ft off the line, vice being right up on the line in the first half.

Presumably he gets extra time to react and get his hands up against the C (whom some of you know is the first lineman to react to the ball ;) ). This also requires the Gs to take an extra step to engage him, which should give him time to engage the C and brace for the next hit coming his way. He still seems vulnerable to a cut block from the C, I'll have to watch for that.

It also appears that Ty and Sey are playing back another foot or so from the earlier games, though they would have been further away from the Ts just from the way they O-line lines up.

Box_O_Rocks said:
My apologies to Smerlas, Vince is indeed playing further off the line, though 1 1/2 yds may be a stretch. I went back to look at several games and he is now up to 3 ft off the line, vice being right up on the line in the first half.

Presumably he gets extra time to react and get his hands up against the C (whom some of you know is the first lineman to react to the ball ;) ). This also requires the Gs to take an extra step to engage him, which should give him time to engage the C and brace for the next hit coming his way. He still seems vulnerable to a cut block from the C, I'll have to watch for that.

It also appears that Ty and Sey are playing back another foot or so from the earlier games, though they would have been further away from the Ts just from the way they O-line lines up.

Great analysis BoR. I've come to expect as much from you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes