PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A flurry of moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher_Price

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
The Patriots have just announced several moves–they’ve cut veteran defensive back Artrell Hawkins, second-year cornerback Gemara Williams and rookie linebacker Kyle Bissinger, and re-signed quarterback Vinny Testaverde.The Testaverde and Bissinger moves are not unexpected–it was only a matter of time before Testaverde returned (he was in the 2007 media guide), and many figured Bissinger’s days [...]

More...

Hawkins seems to be a surprise.

Hawkins seems to be a surprise.

Hawkins is a big surprise. He's a quality veteran and a versatile presence in the secondary. I'm wondering if this speaks to some sort of newfound confidence they have in the defensive backs who are out there.

Hawkins is a big surprise. He's a quality veteran and a versatile presence in the secondary. I'm wondering if this speaks to some sort of newfound confidence they have in the defensive backs who are out there.

I like the guy, but he's a very unspectacular player. He came in when players got hurt, but now that Harrison, Wilson, and even Mitchell are healthy, an injured player has little place on the team, especially when you add in a first-rounder to the mix.

But like you said, they must have confidence in the secondary. Maybe they foresee Asante returning very shortly...

Last edited:

Certainly, they don't seem to be short of safeties and nickel back/safeties at this point. But it could be one of those Patriot special cut-and-re-sign-when-healthy moves (in which case, look out for the Jets and Browns!) or it could be, simply, that the Mighty Hawk's football career is done.

Chris, how can you say cuting Gemera Williams was a surprise? Mrs B had him as her #1 cut bait based on her training camp observations.

where was Hawkins when we signed him?

waiver wire hawkins--thanks buddy, but welcome to the shadow roster

Chris, how can you say cuting Gemera Williams was a surprise? Mrs B had him as her #1 cut bait based on her training camp observations.
And reading other Camp posts I had him as a borderline STs player kept to develop and handle KOs...a bum hammy certainly puts the kibosh on that - then again you have to wonder if Gemara's comments relayed through his agent might mean the Coach left the door open for the future?

Wow, I must say I am surprised by the Hawkins move. I used to love listening to him last year in his monday interviews on WEEI. (he took over those when rodney went down) He seemed to be a great presence, good attitude, ect.............I guess in BB we trust:cool:

If Hawkins could break up passes and tackle with his voice, he'd be in the Pro Bowl. A good guy who was overcome by improving younger players and a promising rookie. I wish him the best.

I should have clarified--I meant it was a surprise in the context of the other moves. My bad.

Chris -
Its a surprise for some people but not for others. Others have been saying that Hawkins lost a step as far back as the Broncos playoff game. Hawkins just couldn't cover out at the CB spot.

With the health of Harrison, the way Sanders has developed, Wilson being healthy, Mitchell being healthy, Andrews being a great special teamer and Meriweather being used at CB and S, there just isn't the room for Hawkins.

Another veteran that may not make it is Tory James. He did not look good out there.

Chris -
Its a surprise for some people but not for others. Others have been saying that Hawkins lost a step as far back as the Broncos playoff game. Hawkins just couldn't cover out at the CB spot.

With the health of Harrison, the way Sanders has developed, Wilson being healthy, Mitchell being healthy, Andrews being a great special teamer and Meriweather being used at CB and S, there just isn't the room for Hawkins.

Another veteran that may not make it is Tory James. He did not look good out there.

Agreed, but I would have bet you dollars to doughnuts that James would have been cut before Hawkins.

Agreed, but I would have bet you dollars to doughnuts that James would have been cut before Hawkins.

I think that Hawkins was cut to give him a chance to catch on with another team... At the very worst, the Pats have his number...

Are you guys sure that Hawkins is not hurt? He hasn't practiced in awhile, and he didn't play in either of our first two preseason games. It's been a couple of weeks since he's been on the field.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing