Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Fifth Top Aide To McCain Resigns

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Holy Diver, May 20, 2008.

1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Might be the best reason to reform campaign financing, and have Johnny McCain take a long look at who is funding those who fun his campaign. I wish the Senator would co sponsor a bill that would reform campaign financing....I wish upon a star.

How did McCain NOT know these peeps were funded by foreign powers? How did he NOT know this might come up? Is he really that dumb, or just doesn't know?

enjoy your future explanantion and debate on this subject, John. I'd suggest wearing a GIGANTIC flag pin. One that covers your *****.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/18/AR2008051802212.html?hpid=topnews

Tom Loeffler, the national finance co-chairman for Sen. John McCain's presidential campaign, resigned yesterday because of his lobbying ties, a campaign adviser said.

He is the fifth person to sever ties with the campaign amid a growing concern over whether lobbyists have too great an influence over the Republican nominee. Last week, campaign manager Rick Davis issued a new policy that requires all campaign personnel to either resign or sever ties with lobbying firms or outside political groups.

McCain has built his reputation in Congress on fighting special interests and the lobbying culture, but he has been criticized for months about the number of lobbyists serving in key positions in his campaign. Until recently, his top political adviser, Charles R. Black Jr., was the head of a Washington lobbying firm. Black retired in March from BKSH & Associates, the firm he helped found, to stay with the campaign. Davis ran a lobbying firm for several years but has said he is on leave from it.

Black, in particular, remains in the cross hairs of McCain's critics. Campaign Money Watch, a nonpartisan watchdog group in Washington, yesterday praised Loeffler's departure but renewed its call for Black's departure. The group has launched a Web site, http://www.firethelobbyists.com, to urge McCain to rid his campaign of their influence. Loeffler's lobbying for Saudi Arabia and other foreign governments was revealed over the weekend.

McCain has steadfastly defended Black and Davis. "Charlie Black and Rick Davis are not in the lobbying business; they've been out of that business," he told reporters. "Charlie Black has been involved in every presidential campaign going back to President Reagan's first campaign. He has severed his connections with the lobbying group that he was with. Rick Davis has not been involved in any lobbying for years."

McCain?

You have some 'splaining to do.
  2. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Uh huh. And you wonder why conservatives don't like McC, or why we don't like McCain-Feingold...or why we don't like him because of it.
  3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Good point.

so Can John McCain win without conservatives, or the cristian conservatives?
  4. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +108 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

Nobody can win without those two groups, the only question is will they come out, Obama's only hope is that they stay home.
  5. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I hope no one takes this wrong, but I think the christcons will vote for him unless something better comes along, because they didn't vote in 06 and now they're more unhappy about the dem. congress.

There are also Hillcrats and other democrats that will cross over to McC just to keep BHO out, whether it's because they don't like him, don't think he's 'sperienced enough or just plain don't like his name/complexion.

This is the weirdest dynamic I remember seeing, honestly. I can't figure if all the kids and formerly apathetic voters who's legs are now tingling every time the Prince coughs will be enough to cancel out the Hillcrats and hillbillies.
  6. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I disagree with this. "Conservatives" will come out, the stakes are too high. The christcons might not, but given Hillcrat support, I think McC could win without them.
  7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

How are the stakes so high? In what way?

I gotta laugh at you people who actually think there's a measureable difference between McCain and Obama. They are both high-spending, big Government, gonna-stay-in-Iraq, bullshyte artists! You can't see that? Only difference is Mack is a one term.
  8. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

For a "conservative", at least the way it's being used here, there's a big difference. There's also House and Senate races to think of.

I do think there are differences between McC and BHO, but I can't see where they're really enough to impact me much--as you say.

The only saving hope is that McC's idol is Teddy Roosevelt...we could do worse than a modern incarnation of TR.

But you're not wrong, overall.
  9. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +366 / 4 / -2

There are so many variables this election. VP selections will be critical for both candidates, and could actually affect the opposition voting. At any rate, I don't care about someone who used to lobby being part of a campaign. I care more about the specifics of their lobbying. A lobbyist is a middle man, or a sales man type. They're a real estate broker persay. The word itself has taken on a totally negative meaning, which is stupid. Equal rights groups lobby. MADD lobbies. Environmental groups lobby. It's the specifics that are important. Of course, with a dumbified populace & voting block, that point is missed.