PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Few Thoughts on Yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does any one of you think that the extra Quarter they played against Ravens has affected the PATS this week?

Didn't seem to--don't think the defense giving up 17 pts in the 4th quarter was a matter of fatigue.

Loved the fourth and one call. The only time I want to kick in that situation is if there is not enough time for the other team to move down the field. With three timeouts and Rivers en fuego, that was not the case here. If we had punted, we would have been in super prevent D mode and conceded the first 40 yards anyway, so the difference in field position was well worth it for the chance to end the game right there.

The no-call on the Cunningham hold was outrageous.

Correct.

Maybe BB didn't want to risk punting the way Ingraham was bouncing the snaps around yesterday? :) (only half kidding)

Norv Turner is an awful coach.The chargers maded alot of dumb mistakes and in the end we did just enough to win the game.

--Weird game—how often do you get 2 turnovers where the ball is sitting on the field ignored by the other team? So don’t know that the D played as well as it seemed, but overall they looked good. The offensive line got manhandled, wonder if that shifts the thinking on Mankins at all.

--It’s sometimes hard to analyze specific players when watching on TV, but one play in the first half really stood out for me in how bad Sanders looked. The Chargers completed a pass in the middle of the field where Sanders was just standing there, the receiver ran in front of him, stopped, and then caught the pass before Sanders moved. What’s the opposite of instinctive?

--Officials weren’t really an issue, but on one play Cunningham was chasing Rivers around midfield for a sack and he was blatantly held from behind, which let Rivers escape. Hard to see how they missed that.

--Speaking of officials, off-topic, shouldn’t the refs in the Miami game have figured out who had possession in that situation, anticipating that there might be a challenge? Lame lame lame.

--Some questionable playcalling yesterday, even before the 4th down at the end. On one early series the Pats had a 2nd and one after a 9–yard run, and passed unsuccessfully, then passed again on 3rd down out of the shotgun. Passing might be defensible, but the shotgun seemed misguided there.

--Couple of sacks Light really looked awful on, like he didn’t even move.

--Fletcher seemed to show some burst, there was one play that looked like a long-gainer where he made the stop after just a couple of yards.

--Pats D played pretty well. Thought they looked flat during the Chargers first drive in the second half (Pats had the ball end of first half, then half time, then the Pats had a 9-minute drive in the second half, so no surprise.) But the sack by Deaderick seemed to give them their mojo back.

--Should have punted there at the end.

San Diego has the best defense we have played this season. (Sorry Jets and Ravens) If not for the San Diego offenses gifts, we might have lost 20 to 7.

Rivers is a beast. Granted Fitspatrick looked like Marino against our defense, but all in all Rivers was money except for the pick.

Cunningham is not going to get holding calls until he gets more street cred with the officials.

The Pats offensive line was abused yesterday. Koppen has to go. Connelly needs to be a backup OG. He should not be starting. Brady looked pathetic yesterday, but if the O line had showed up to play, he might have had more confidence.

The Pats offense needs to back opposing defenses off the LOS by going deep every now and then. (Hernandez should be catching more balls in the deep seems, he is a match up nightmare for safeties.

Deaderick is getting better and better.

Secondary lost it's mojo when Chung left the game.

San Diego has the best defense we have played this season. (Sorry Jets and Ravens) If not for the San Diego offenses gifts, we might have lost 20 to 7.

Rivers is a beast. Granted Fitspatrick looked like Marino against our defense, but all in all Rivers was money except for the pick.

Cunningham is not going to get holding calls until he gets more street cred with the officials.

The Pats offensive line was abused yesterday. Koppen has to go. Connelly needs to be a backup OG. He should not be starting. Brady looked pathetic yesterday, but if the O line had showed up to play, he might have had more confidence.

The Pats offense needs to back opposing defenses off the LOS by going deep every now and then. (Hernandez should be catching more balls in the deep seems, he is a match up nightmare for safeties.

I look at the "streed cred" calls as getting the close ones. Cunningham was almost tackled.

Agreed on Hernadez--the pressure on Brady was such that some routes didn't have time to develop, but would definitely look for him on deep patterns more going forward.

--Weird game—how often do you get 2 turnovers where the ball is sitting on the field ignored by the other team? So don’t know that the D played as well as it seemed, but overall they looked good. The offensive line got manhandled, wonder if that shifts the thinking on Mankins at all.

--It’s sometimes hard to analyze specific players when watching on TV, but one play in the first half really stood out for me in how bad Sanders looked. The Chargers completed a pass in the middle of the field where Sanders was just standing there, the receiver ran in front of him, stopped, and then caught the pass before Sanders moved. What’s the opposite of instinctive?

--Officials weren’t really an issue, but on one play Cunningham was chasing Rivers around midfield for a sack and he was blatantly held from behind, which let Rivers escape. Hard to see how they missed that.

--Speaking of officials, off-topic, shouldn’t the refs in the Miami game have figured out who had possession in that situation, anticipating that there might be a challenge? Lame lame lame.

--Some questionable playcalling yesterday, even before the 4th down at the end. On one early series the Pats had a 2nd and one after a 9–yard run, and passed unsuccessfully, then passed again on 3rd down out of the shotgun. Passing might be defensible, but the shotgun seemed misguided there.

--Couple of sacks Light really looked awful on, like he didn’t even move.

--Fletcher seemed to show some burst, there was one play that looked like a long-gainer where he made the stop after just a couple of yards.

--Pats D played pretty well. Thought they looked flat during the Chargers first drive in the second half (Pats had the ball end of first half, then half time, then the Pats had a 9-minute drive in the second half, so no surprise.) But the sack by Deaderick seemed to give them their mojo back.

--Should have punted there at the end.
that sequence really bothered me considering they actualy went for a running play on 4th and 1 at the end. wouldnt have come to it if the pats had utilized the 2nd and 9 chance better.

Aside, one thing about the D. Anyone notice the pressure ? was it the charger oline/lack of WR or a genuine designed pass rush ?

Does any one of you think that the extra Quarter they played against Ravens has affected the PATS this week?

Vince Wilfork was quoted this week as saying the Ravens game was "The most physical game I've ever played in"......

I had been thinking about that this week....wondering how that would affect the Pats this week....

Seeing how the worst team in the NFL put up over 500 yards of offense on the Ravens yesterday...I would say with a resounding YES, that both teams were affected by the game last sunday....even worse for the Pats to play on another coast/time zone...etc.

I think the NFL sometimes schedules games knowing that you will probably lose. The Chargers game was certainly one of those.

It definitely affected BOTH teams. The Ravens had all they could handle against the lowly Bills. The Pats had to travel coast-to-coast, and it showed. Both the Ravens and Pats had miserable first halfs.

I still wonder why Connolly was not playing? And what the full story was with Light, attempting to play alongside raw and undersized, Ryan Wendell, at LG.

I wonder what a request for replay challenge would do on most any piling on scrum for a fumble. How can any video show who has the ball at the bottom of the pile?

The Refs unpiled the scrum pile after the Rothlesberger fumble just like they always do on any fumble, and mange to determine who has it. Both unpiling Refs said the guy who had initial possession Francis-Alami? had the ball at the bottom of the pile.

Yet the rule of no definitive evidence of review could never establish any certain change of possession, so any fumble would revert to the previous possession team.

It sounded from the TV feed that there were lots of Pats fans there (lots of cheering for New England). Was that what you saw/heard?

Yes. The upper deck was filled with lots of Pats fans. I give the Charger fans credit. They are a class act. At a Raider game, I would have had beer thrown on me for just rooting for the Pats.

:eek: I didn't realize we were watching the NBA. Although I the league is heading in that direction. A penalty is a penalty. My 13 year old could see that one from 3000 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back