PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A few thoughts after the Jets game

Status
Not open for further replies.
2441opy.jpg

Thinking: "Hmm, I wonder if that Chinese place will deliver to the locker room."

ANyone else see trumps heli land right outside gillette during the game? Saw it from my seats right after half time

And Trump wonders why he keeps losing money... He's late to the party too often :p

Give the exact timing ( quarter,etc etc) and i will look for it, and see if can get it from my dvr.

Cool, thanks man. I think it was right before the start of the 4th quarter when coming back from commercial, not positive.

To steal a quote form Dennis Green regarding the Jets......."They are who we thought they are!"

And a huge shout out to the Gillette crowd last night. They were definitely a huge advantage for the home team!:rocker:

My thoughts: the Pats are exactly who we (some of us anyway) thought they were. They're not perfect but they've got that killer instinct back and they're playing like a team again. Last night was a heads up to the rest of the league: the road goes through New England baby:rocker:

We actually did better than I thought we would on Kick coverage last night. Wind was definately a factor.

Yep, that's the one point I'd take issue with in the original post. Given that Graham doesn't have a big KO leg any more, and the wind was brutal, and the Jets have a good kick return team, I thought the KO coverage was very good indeed.

On Woodhead, didn't you just love the moment when Jaws described him as "a complete football player"? This team desperately needed to find Faulk's successor, and to pick him up for free off of the Jets' ill-advised trash heap is just icing on the cake.

This is an interesting take, but I don't buy it:

Our take: Pats hope to spark another late-season collapse for the Jets

As last night’s score moved from 31-3 to 38-3 and Tom Brady kept throwing the ball until it was 45-3 and then he remained in the game — and threw passes — until the Pats’ left drive with less than three minutes to play, we began to wonder whether the Patriots were giving the Jets extra motivation for a postseason rematch.

And then we realized what the Patriots were trying to do. They want to avoid a rematch.

By demoralizing the Jets, who next play the Dolphins, Steelers, and Bears before traveling to Buffalo, we think the Patriots have tried to spark a tailspin that will knock the Jets out of the playoffs completely. It happened most recently to the Jets in 2008, when 8-3 became 9-7 and the Jets missed the postseason and their head coach got fired.

Our take: Pats hope to spark another late-season collapse for the Jets | ProFootballTalk

6. Probably will go unnoticed, but our kick-off coverage isn't very good right now. I know we had one really goofy KO that ended up on the 50, but Graham's leg isn't that strong and we're not getting the touch backs we once were. The wind may have also been a factor last night too, but this is something that we just need to keep an eye on going forward. Luckily we had a lot of practice last night.

It hasn't been good all season, but Gostkowski's leg was hiding that weakness a bit.

However, if we find ourself nitpicking kick return coverage, it means the game went pretty well I guess ;)

6. Probably will go unnoticed, but our kick-off coverage isn't very good right now. I know we had one really goofy KO that ended up on the 50, but Graham's leg isn't that strong and we're not getting the touch backs we once were. The wind may have also been a factor last night too, but this is something that we just need to keep an eye on going forward. Luckily we had a lot of practice last night.

HUH?? The kick coverage was AWESOME last night. Brad Smith, who WAS the leading return man in the league with over 29 yards per return, was held to 20 yards per return on the night. Something to consider, also, is that there were 2 kicks that were abberations. The short kick that BB clearly called for and then the last one of the night.. And even the last one, the Pats held Smith to only a 20 yard return.

HUH?? The kick coverage was AWESOME last night. Brad Smith, who WAS the leading return man in the league with over 29 yards per return, was held to 20 yards per return on the night. Something to consider, also, is that there were 2 kicks that were abberations. The short kick that BB clearly called for and then the last one of the night.. And even the last one, the Pats held Smith to only a 20 yard return.

I'm not making a huge issue with it, this is really nit-picky, and I agree that the wind affected the KO's. All I said is that it's something to keep an eye on. This has been a concern FOR ME over the last few games. It may not be a concern for you or anyone else. I'm not going to get into an argument over this today. I want to have only good thoughts as I bask in the win and the Jets demise.

Fyi, I think Woody goes to Faulk's house to watch film and gets coached at the same time. That's one reason why he is so in sync with the team. I forgot where I read this.

As for Woodhead, he is likely quicker than Faulk, (40 time of 4.33 to 4.48), which means he should be able to lose defenders once he get by him, but he likely will not be as good breaking tackles given the weight difference of 25 or so pounds. Woodhead is not being used in the same way as Faulk was used (Faulk was a true 3rd down back), and appears to be benefiting from significantly better blocking than Faulk was used to getting downfield. In terms of long-term solutions, Woodhead has done a great job in his 10 games, but he isn't even in the neighborhood of Kevin Faulk until everyone on the defense knows the ball is going to him and still cannot stop him.

Danny is listed at 195lbs in the program, Kevin at 202lbs. That's a 7 lb difference, not 25. If it's not friggin obvious from looking at him, the little dude is built. If you need other measurables, he did 20 reps at 225 -- that would have been 7th amongst all RB's at this year's combine. You might also notice that the kid breaks tackles all the time -- as Tedy Bruschi pointed out last week, he has great lower body strength, too.

It's amazing and a little disturbing to see how tenacious the prejudice vs Woodhead is, even among some Pats fans. But folks are finally realizing from the kid's play that he really is fast. I guess having the fastest 40yd and 10yd dashes, and 20yd and 60yd shuttle times of any back coming out in 2008 didn't mean sh*t. Nor his collegiate track competitive timings of 10.5s in the 100m and 6.45s in the 55m. But it's getting harder and harder to deny the evidence on the field. Danny is a *lot* faster and quicker than Kevin ever was. The numbers say that, but more important, what he's doing on the field is getting harder and harder to continue to deny.

I shouldn't even bother to point out that by Football Outsider's stats, Danny is the #2 NFL back in DVOA in running from scrimmage, and #2 to only Antonio Gates in DVOA receiving -- at any position.

Just use your eyes -- better still with a DVR. The kid's been *amazing*. He's *electric* when he gets the ball.

I love Kevin. I miss Kevin. He's my second favorite player of this era's Pats (after Rodney). No one is clutch like Kevin (except Rodney). I've always dreaded the day when Kevin would hang them up, and that day may have come. But we're really, really, lucky to have found Danny just as Kevin goes out. I couldn't have imagined a more perfect replacement for Kevin (Danny even had his own fumbling problems at Chadron). Let's just be happy that Danny is is here, and that he is really, really, good. We should only hope that he proves to be as clutch as Kevin, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey