PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A few Patriots have guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
By the way, does anyone know why he wasn’t buried in Arlington National Cemetery as the American War Hero that he was?

Because his head is Frozen stiff somewhere in AZ. BTW more Patriots have guns than Gaffney and Samuels. That list is for concealed weapons. It doesn't include shotguns and rifles for guys that hunt like Light and a few others.

I can't let that ridiculous statement go by. Go ahead and hate MA. Nobody cares and you have 49 other states to choose from. All with their own laws based on their unique outlook on life. But lets not just make up utter BS because you didn't like it here. Complain about the traffic or the weather or the high property values or something. Sure we don't obsess over Ted Williams the way CO obsesses over John Elway; but that's because we have had other sports stars to look up to. Nobody complained about naming the tunnel after Ted. The complaints all centered around the fact that the tunnel was opened for 3 years before it became available to the general public.

Good point. Lumping everybody together from a state as a stereotype is ridiculous . Bass pro shops is building a store right next to Gillette stadium. I don't think they would do it unless they thought there was a market for it. They will sell guns to Massachusetts residents like me who like to hunt and fish as much as guys in other parts of the country do.

OK this thread should probably get moved over to the politics board (where NEM likes to spend some time i noticed:singing:

My view is:
1. This is football news. It is interesting and surprising. Just like all the Cincy arrests. We want to know who these people:woohoo: are that we are rooting for.
2. I thought only the NBA thugs carried guns around. I would like to know more about League restrictions on guns eg locker room, travel.
3. Probably naively, I had thought the NFL was more cleaned up than the NBA.
4. Personally if Asante is carryinig a gun around, t hat speaks volumes about him as a person to me. I do wonder what BB thinks about that sort of thing, really. How do guns factor into the Patriot type player?:eek:

Now back to Football!!!!!:cool:

A recent ESPN "Inside the Lines" program talked about this, and estimated (if I recall correctly) 90% of NFL and NBA athletes own guns. They specifically mentioned Gaffney.

The rationale given for such wide gun ownershio was that because of their unusual wealth for their age, many others in the places they go see them as easy targets. Also, it's an ego thing, one ex-NFL player who is now a gun dealer pointed out the players gravitated towards flashy impressive-looking guns rather than utilitarian ones.

I believe there also is a racial factor involved. Many black athletes hail from urban neighborhoods where gun ownership is considered necessary for protection, and where it's culturally more acceptable to pack a firearm. (Talking handguns primarily here.)

OK this thread should probably get moved over to the politics board (where NEM likes to spend some time i noticed:singing:

My view is:
1. This is football news. It is interesting and surprising. Just like all the Cincy arrests. We want to know who these people:woohoo: are that we are rooting for.
2. I thought only the NBA thugs carried guns around. I would like to know more about League restrictions on guns eg locker room, travel.
3. Probably naively, I had thought the NFL was more cleaned up than the NBA.
4. Personally if Asante is carryinig a gun around, t hat speaks volumes about him as a person to me. I do wonder what BB thinks about that sort of thing, really. How do guns factor into the Patriot type player?:eek:

Now back to Football!!!!!:cool:

In the South almost everyone has guns. It's one of the reasons why home break ins are almost non-existent. Criminals don't want to get shot.

Anyway so what does Samuel carrying a gun around "speak" to you? That he doesn't want to be mugged? Has he ever pulled it on anyone? If you had lived in a poor, largely black neighborhood and experienced random violence regularly, maybe you would be more empathetic to people wanting to avoid being victims. Where is the liberal empathy you people are so famous for?

How do equate people obeying laws with them not being "cleaned up" more than the NBA?

Hey, I didn't mean to put down everyone in my home state of Mass. Read my post. I am objecting to the people that think they know what's best for me. The nanny staters. They are even out here in the wild west. Also the minority that did speak out against the tunnel naming as well. There was an article by Bob Ryan I believe that mentioned it several years ago. So don't get your panties in a bunch. I would probably still be living there but when I graduated college there was no work to be found so was forced to relocate and have been elsewhere ever since. I usually don't get involved in political type discussions on this board but have been pretty much stuck in the house for the last 3-days due to the storm we just had. Cabin fever.

Ummm Tank had 6 guns that were not registered... hence his 6 counts.

There is a difference between someone owning a registered handgun and Tank "gangsta gangsta" Johnson owning 6 unlicensed guns a few of which were assault rifles..

Ummm Tank had 6 guns that were not registered... hence his 6 counts.

There is a difference between someone owning a registered handgun and Tank "gangsta gangsta" Johnson owning 6 unlicensed guns a few of which were assault rifles..

I suppose. But only because you need to be licensed in some states and registered. In many states you need NO license whatsoever. No registration. So maybe he just didn't know.

The assault weapons ban, as far as I know, is over. There is no ban on them whatsoever. So no crime there.

So freaking what as long as they abide by the law. People act as if guns are evil. Try reading some documents that our country was founded on. What were they called again? Oh wait, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and other key hostorical documents just do not matter because the media would rather promote their anti-gun agenda. Just ridiculous. Why can't we just ask pro athletes to be law abiding citizens?

Good Post:
I have licenses to carry a handgun in Mass/RI/CT. The media loves to make gun carriers out to be bad people. In fact...quite the opposite. They are a great deterent to do anything stupid for fear of losing your license or not being able to get the license renewed. Any acts of hostility towards anyone is enough reason to lose your license for good.

Massachusetts has several gun laws ... 2 of which are right to transport for out of staters and right to carry for out of staters ... I'm sure many Patriot players have a transport license due to the stringent Mass. gun laws.

In the South almost everyone has guns. It's one of the reasons why home break ins are almost non-existent. Criminals don't want to get shot.

Anyway so what does Samuel carrying a gun around "speak" to you? That he doesn't want to be mugged? Has he ever pulled it on anyone? If you had lived in a poor, largely black neighborhood and experienced random violence regularly, maybe you would be more empathetic to people wanting to avoid being victims. Where is the liberal empathy you people are so famous for?

How do equate people obeying laws with them not being "cleaned up" more than the NBA?
Dude, people in the south have shotguns and rifles not flashy handguns.

1. Its just that once a player achieves a certain professional level, it is hard to argue that he needs to be carrying a gun around.
2. The only reason is "in case" he gets in a punk ***** fu type altercation with "the other" homies.
3. I would hope that guys like Rodney, Willie M, Big Sey have achieved a level of paturity where they do not carry concealed firearms.
4. concealed handguns are just looking for trouble.

Peace Out

1. Its just that once a player achieves a certain professional level, it is hard to argue that he needs to be carrying a gun around.
2. The only reason is "in case" he gets in a punk ***** fu type altercation with "the other" homies.
3. I would hope that guys like Rodney, Willie M, Big Sey have achieved a level of paturity where they do not carry concealed firearms.

Peace Out

An armed society is a polite society, or one with more dead people from GSWs

That being said, I don't presume to judge the maturity or motives of public sports figures or others who exercize their right to carry concealed

Amen. The liberal (who undoubtedly subscribes to the JACKASS totem, for his voting preferences), has no business knowing who owns or carries a weapon, fountain pen, the color of his wallet, or anything else, as long as the rules and laws are all observed. He has no right to know any more than he has a right to know the fellow's legal sexual preference. For liberals, that is a sacred right that any sexual preference or perversion is private and OK including pedophilia, except for Catholic priests, of course...

Despite his pretentiousness... It is none of his damn Business!

Peace Out

funny post

thanks for giving me a chuckle while I oil the slide on my para-ordinance .45

god bless freedom

Peace Out

Just to fan the flames a little bit...

Would you rather people walk around wild west style. Six guns hanging from a belt holster?

Professional body guards, plain clothed security and plain clothed police carry concealed weapons in a shoulde holster, along with anybody who carries for any reason. Having a gun hanging off you hip, in public, would cause panic.

Before I get too political on this subject, I'm going to stop responding unless an incident happens to a current or former pro sports player

The AR-15 can be converted to .22 caliber but it is primarily a .223 caliber weapon. It also in .223 has a muzzle velocity in excess of 3000 feet per second. Personally I do not believe that Johnson is someone anyone want with a weapon like that.

No you are making a mistake. The AR-15 can be converted to a .22LR. The .223 is a .22 caliber. I never said it was a .22LR (example of a Ruger 10/22). No matter how you define it, the AR-15 is a .22 caliber. .223=.22, but not a .22LR. Yes there is a conversion kit to go to a .22LR.

PS on the edit. It doesn't matter what you personally believe about someone having a firearm. If they abide within the laws then so be it. There is much more behind the Tank story we do not know. If he broke the law than bust him. I do find it humorous how a person breaks a minor gun law and they are condemned to hell forever, but if they break a drug law it's just no big deal.

Just to fan the flames a little bit...

Before I get too political on this subject, I'm going to stop responding unless an incident happens to a current or former pro sports player
This would be tragic, but every person has the right to defend themselves legaly.

Peace Out

Yes exercising your constitutional right is just looking for trouble. Sounds like Communism is alive and well.

No you are making a mistake. The AR-15 can be converted to a .22LR. The .223 is a .22 caliber. I never said it was a .22LR (example of a Ruger 10/22). No matter how you define it, the AR-15 is a .22 caliber. .223=.22, but not a .22LR. Yes there is a conversion kit to go to a .22LR.

No it is not a .22 caliber. A .22 caliber is a .22 cartridge and a .223 is a .223 cartridge. If you think they are the same try shooting a .22 round out of a NON CONVERTERED AR-15. Besides bullet diameter was not the meaning of your post. You made the AR 15 out to be equivelent to a 15 year olds .22. rifle and it is not even close. I happen to be a firearms instructor (pistol and the M-4) and the comparison of a .22 caliber rifle and a AR-15 is laughable. The ballistics of the two rounds could not be more different. It has nothing to do with the right to bear arms or things like that, that is another discussion I think and not my point. An AR-15 is a .223 weapon which is substantially different than little Johnnies varmint rifle.

PS on the edit. It doesn't matter what you personally believe about someone having a firearm. If they abide within the laws then so be it. There is much more behind the Tank story we do not know. If he broke the law than bust him. I do find it humorous how a person breaks a minor gun law and they are condemned to hell forever, but if they break a drug law it's just no big deal.

No problem with any one that abides by the laws...but I really don't get your statement...he DIDN'T abide by the law and was busted for it. So what is the deal.....what don't we know that you think changes things? How has he been "condemed to hell forever"? He got busted for it before and got probation and community service. He hasn't even completed his community service and was on probation for the same thing he got busted for AGAIN! HHHMMM considering he was CONVICTED of this charge before and one of the terms of him probation is to not possess firearms and to remain law abiding...again what do we "NOT KNOW"? Oh Yeah add to that after being arrested he is out with his friend in a night club where his friend is shot to death...same friend in his house the night of the warrant service. That part we do not know about I agree, but it is obvious this person Makes his own trouble as he doesn't ever learn his lesson.

Yes exercising your constitutional right is just looking for trouble. Sounds like Communism is alive and well.

Yeah the post you responded to was, well it was...well I'm not going to comment.....

But I will point out that comparing Tank to others who have NOT had thier rights suspended do to thier conduct is the problem. Tank should not be ever allowed to possess a gun he has proven he can't follow the rules. Really thier should be an IQ test to possess a gun as some people have trouble conducting themselves as a human being and those people should not be allowed to carry guns....usually that also includes breeding but that is another thread.

Yeah the post you responded to was, well it was...well I'm not going to comment.....

But I will point out that comparing Tank to others who have NOT had thier rights suspended do to thier conduct is the problem. Tank should not be ever allowed to possess a gun he has proven he can't follow the rules. Really thier should be an IQ test to possess a gun as some people have trouble conducting themselves as a human being and those people should not be allowed to carry guns....usually that also includes breeding but that is another thread.
Perhaps when there is an exam for parenthood...had any good domestic spats lately? A friend in Aus sent over an article about a recently certified NZ officer who managed to taser himself on a domestic call, he then accidentally tasered the teenaged son of the suspect before giving up and going for the pepper and getting the 20 year old daughter, at which point the suspect surrendered, presumably because there were no more children to hide behind...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back