Welcome to PatsFans.com

A few good things by Republicans

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

It's interesting that Romney and Schwarznegger have both introduced forms of universal health care in their states. One commentator said that the California plan will cover illegal immigrants. Michael Dell, CEO of Dell Computer and a staunch Republican as far as I know, is leading a drive to make technology companies more green. One very good thing Dell now does is offer free recycling of your old computer when you purchase a new one. Then, of course, there's Bill Gates, a Republican, who donates billions and billions to help fight AIDS in Africa. I think these people represent an increasingly powerful (and good) minority within the Republican Party. With the neocons on the run, it will interesting to see if the moderates can wrest control of the Party from the right-wing.

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Ha!

I must say that being a Californian...hearing Arnold state that he wanted universal health care is a step in the right direction. Despite the fact that our Governor is a virtually indestructable robot sent from the future, he still has sympathy for human life.

3. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

I never trust Robots from the Future.

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

:singing: :singing: ..........................

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,971 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Some day D.C. will be dominated by moderates from both parties. Issues will be debated on their merits as opposed to which party favors them.

All you posters who told me moderates are simply not passionate enough about issues to ever control politics will then realize how wrong you were.

The great thing about moderates ... the greatest thing actually is a good moderate can more logically look at any issue because of the lack of passion. Passion...like Religion...is responsible for many bad decisions in civilization.

A great example is Iraq. How many meeting did the Bush administration have on policy in Iraq ... hundreds and hundreds. Those meetings were no doubt brainstorming meetings where logic should prevail and produce good decisions.

But we all now know of all the wrong decisions that were made. How could that be with all those meetings and all that brainstorming?

Easy answer .. passion ruled those meetings and we now see the result.

Clinton..though not a perfect President would look at poll numbers whenever possible before he made decisions ... why did he do that? To remove the passion as much as he could ... to let the logic of citizens have a say in government .... how refreshing.

Let passion ignite the debate ... let passion cover all areas of the debate .... let logic take over in the end ... that's how moderates think all the time.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 17 / -22

#24 Jersey

Many of us who voted for Arnold knew he wasn't a real Republican, he was just better than the alternative.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Republicans, being traditionally conservative, and all good Americans for that matter, have always had a concern for the welfare of their fellow citizens and the environment. What these smart businessmen have learned over time is that it cost more to be poor stewards of the land and people. Anyone with a brain and conscience, which by definition rules out Bush and his pasty-faced space alien friends, knows that you don't sh-t where you sleep and you never let your brother stay down after he falls. It's good to see private interests take the initiative on these things because they have shown in the past that they can execute such programs, but I don't want the government controlling anything these days as it is presently constituted. Entrenched special interests and their likewise-entrenched government servants (Congress) have reduced the ability of the government to function to where I can't trust the system anymore to put up a street light.

8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Sorry, but I'm not buying that about him. Clinton looked at the polls to shape his positions. To stick a finger in the wind so to speak, and figure out which way the publics breeze was blowing. He was the ultimate politician. A very bright guy. He was a moderate though, which I prefer over any extremist. Thing is, I don't want a leader who's going to base policy on poll numbers. The public is made up of far too many dumb people. Those of us in this forum who discuss politics, and have a basic grasp of the issues, are the minority, and not the majority. I want leaders to lead, to be decisive, and to be put forth there positions. Where moderacy comes about, is through compromise. A moderate tends to be more willing to find common ground.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Seems like that was so long ago. Is any party fiscally conservative anymore? It's pretty sad when the Dems are considered more frugal than the GOP. The problem is, it'll probably get worse before it gets better. GW has now set the bar on spending, which means the next Administration will spend as much, if not more.

10. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +563 / 22 / -19

Clinton didn't look at the polls so much as he looked at reality. He saw that with a Republican Congress he had to work on their issues, but give them a Democratic twist. On issues like Bosnia he went against the public. On issues like gays in the military he also went against the public, but was forced to compromise to prevent legislation directly outlawing gays in the military. Clinton was very pragmatic, but I really don't think he relied on polls any more than any other politician. Even Bush, in direct response to polls, dismissed Rummy and is revamping his Iraq policy.

Don't you think Clinton was a moderate? Or do you think he was a liberal?

11. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,113 / 3 / -10

Crazy Far Left Liberal Democrats can't understand that.

12. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +775 / 17 / -22

#24 Jersey

The Rebublican I love in CA is Tom McClintock who ran against Arnold in 2002 for Governor and for Lt. Governor this time - unfortunately losing both times. There's a good Republican for you, though.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  13. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My favorite Republican is Ron Paul from Texas. Actually, he's my favorite member of congress period.

14. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Fair enough. Obviously everyone will view it in their own light, but I don't think we're too far apart here.

I think Clinton was a moderate. He wasn't a loony lefty. Now, part of his being a moderate stemmed from there being a republican controlled House and Senate. Who knows what Clinton would have been like if he had a rubber stamp government to work with. I think if GW had a counter weight in the same regard, he wouldn't be as loony as he's been. It's why I kinda hope a sensible repub wins in 2008. Obviously that is a general sentiment. I'd have to see who the candidates are before I'd pick one over the other. My point is, all things being equal, I'd like the power to be split.

15. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

My Libertarian friends from California all love that guy.

Arnold is a Republican by name only. He's an example of why party politics is kinda silly. Arnold, Giuliani, Bush, Reagan, Romney, etc are all Republicans, yet they have each have significantly different stances on certain issues. You could do the same with prominent democrats. It's why blind patronage to a political party is moronic.

16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ron Paul is a Libertarian, but I think he decided to become a Repub. because he wanted to actually hold office. It's tough voting for losers every year, but I can't bring myself to vote for these immoral vote whores. I'm looking for anyone with scruples, I don't care if he or she or it is from another planet and has two heads, just someone tell me the truth fakrissakes!

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +893 / 7 / -3

Libertarians always love Ron Paul.