PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A draft scenario I would like to get some input on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestpatsfan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Okay,
From the research that I have been able to do so far on this draft, and by no means is as thorough as some of you(BOR, Patchick, Dryheat to name a few) I just don't see players that excite me at 24 or 28 unless someone falls. So that means trading up or down to either get a player you really want or trading back to add picks and get better value for targeted players.

The one player that continues to stick out to me as someone who can contribute this year and for years to come is Patrick Willis. Unfortunately he will be gone if we do not trade up.

So if the Patriots do pick up a 3rd round comp. pick would you trade the other 3rd and 24 to move up to early 20's if he indeed is still there?

If not, what players do you think are going to be available that you feel would be good value and help this team?

Hmm...thinking about the likely shape of the first round...

Given our roster let's rule out QB, OG, and C in the 1st. Then let's assume that the following players aren't even part of the discussion:
Calvin Johnson
Joe Thomas
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
LaRon Landry
Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Anderson
Amobi Okoye

Next tier is players who you'd be happy to find at 24, but don't expect to have the chance at. I'll call them:
Adam Carriker
Reggie Nelson
Patrick Willis
Darelle Revis
WR of your choice

So first question...are any of them worth trading up for? Carriker is a clear yes on talent alone, but I'm not about to trade up for a position where the team is already deep and talented. I like Nelson a lot, but this draft is rich in safeties. Willis, to me, isn't head-and-shoulders above the next tier of guys, most prominently Harris. Revis is a big wild-card at this point since he didn't work out at the combine. And WR is the deepest position in the draft, so I'd expect to find some excellent talent at 24, 28 or even in the 2nd or 3rd.

So nope, I'm not tempted to trade up unless Revis surprises at his Pro Day. I'd rather take a couple of guys who rate a little lower but look low-risk, or trade back a bit (even into next year).

Next tier is players who you'd be happy to find at 24, but don't expect to have the chance at. I'll call them:

Reggie Nelson
Darelle Revis

I'll add Hall to those two as potential sliders at #24. And no, I wouldn't trade up for anyone, although Revis would be enticing.

I'll add Hall to those two as potential sliders at #24. And no, I wouldn't trade up for anyone, although Revis would be enticing.

Ah, good catch, Hall completely slipped my mind.

Hmm...thinking about the likely shape of the first round...

Given our roster let's rule out QB, OG, and C in the 1st. Then let's assume that the following players aren't even part of the discussion:
Calvin Johnson
Joe Thomas
Alan Branch
Gaines Adams
LaRon Landry
Adrian Peterson
Jamaal Anderson
Amobi Okoye

Adam Carriker
Reggie Nelson
Patrick Willis
Darelle Revis
WR of your choice

So first question...are any of them worth trading up for? Carriker is a clear yes on talent alone, but I'm not about to trade up for a position where the team is already deep and talented. I like Nelson a lot, but this draft is rich in safeties. Willis, to me, isn't head-and-shoulders above the next tier of guys, most prominently Harris. Revis is a big wild-card at this point since he didn't work out at the combine. And WR is the deepest position in the draft, so I'd expect to find some excellent talent at 24, 28 or even in the 2nd or 3rd.

So nope, I'm not tempted to trade up unless Revis surprises at his Pro Day. I'd rather take a couple of guys who rate a little lower but look low-risk, or trade back a bit (even into next year).

I might not consider a QB in the first, but OG/OC remain on the table. I'd also seriously consider trading up for Carriker if he fell far enough, hoarding scarce resources isn't a bad thing. I agree about the other talent, and include Revis in that, there are lower ranked alternatives who will provide much of the same talent.

I might not consider a QB in the first, but OG/OC remain on the table. I'd also seriously consider trading up for Carriker if he fell far enough, hoarding scarce resources isn't a bad thing. I agree about the other talent, and include Revis in that, there are lower ranked alternatives who will provide much of the same talent.

Wow, you'd consider a center with the ink barely dry on Koppen's big extension? I can't imagine it, and none of the guards knock my socks off.

But I will toss out OT Joe Staley as a legitimate 1st-round possibility.

I would definitely consider packaging #24 and a 3rd rounder to move up. Especially if someone like LaRon Landry or Reggie Nelson happened to be available. They'd have the flexability to move down from 28 and recoup a pick. A lot of the players I like at #28 are the types that are likely to be around in the top half of the second round...

After reviewing the season and reviewing the combine, I am now convinced that Landry is the real deal. He is the #1 FS on my board. And I have some serious reservations about Nelson. So much so that Griffin would be my #2 FS over Nelson, who falls the #3.

After reviewing the season and reviewing the combine, I am now convinced that Landry is the real deal. He is the #1 FS on my board. And I have some serious reservations about Nelson. So much so that Griffin would be my #2 FS over Nelson, who falls the #3.

That is my top 3 also. However, as noted previously, I wouldn't want any of them unless Landry happened to drop to 28 and there was nobody else with a top 40 grade left on my board.

Wow, you'd consider a center with the ink barely dry on Koppen's big extension? I can't imagine it, and none of the guards knock my socks off.

But I will toss out OT Joe Staley as a legitimate 1st-round possibility.
I would consider a center: Mruczkowski and Yates don't seem like likely tenders, they may re-sign with one year vet minimum and a modest bonus, but neither have shown they can beat out Hochstein for that roster slot. Russ is signed through two more seasons and Barthelmes trip to Europe isn't a ringing endorsement. There's room for an upgrade there, most likely in later rounds, but I'd consider Kalil or Satele or even Harris (actually, especially Harris for his ability to slide to OT). I'm just not seeing first round stamps on too many haunches and I have no problem digging deeper in the barrel for a use it or lose it lottery. I doubt the Pats take a first day OL, but we know they met with Ben Grubbs, those contrary devils.

I was reading some details on Nelson today, I have the BCS championship broadcast to watch him and others again, but I didn't find the write-ups very reassuring from an on-field generalship perspective. It also read as if he's just a little bit of a loose cannon out there, intimidating, but exploitable. Landry did very well for himself, especially weighing in at 213 and looking as compact and powerful as the extremely poor coverage allowed, he seems to have solidified a spot with one of the early picks. What was your take on middle round safeties?

Man (uh, Woman, sorry) I'm all for moving up for Landry first, Willis second. The problem is that adding our 3rd to the number 24 pick would yield only a move up two or three spots max.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey