Welcome to PatsFans.com

A draft day change of minid.

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by PATSNUTme, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +338 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I have been against taking Branden Albert at #7. However if the draft falls that way and the Patriots take him, I'll be OK with it.

Start him off at RG or RT, give him a year there and then work him as the LT of the future. We will have him for 5 or 6 years minimum so if he does work at LT we have the back side of Brady protected for that time.

So, it's OK by me if they take him at #7.

2. Sicilian

Sicilian Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +776 / 2 / -3

I don't know too much about him. How is he at run blocking? I think our running game could be improved upon from last year, which could just mean getting Maroney to run more consistently or having Morris for the whole year. Still, beefing up the O-Line wouldn't hurt either guy find some holes.

Is he mainly a good pass protector or can he contribute in this area?

3. RussFrancis

RussFrancis Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He's going to be tremendous in both areas. He's been a great pulling guard. He has great leverage. Great power. We need to just put that guy in at either RG or RT and let him do his thing. He's a solid 310 with massive guns. he's going to dominate play inside or out. if we get that guy, we're getting a dominant player. make no mistake.

4. PonyExpress

PonyExpress In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +25 / 3 / -0

I wish I could join you in enthusiasm for Albert at #7. I've tried, really. But no dice. If the Pats make that pick I will root like hell for the kid, obviously.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  5. makoute

makoute In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +84 / 2 / -0

I've been getting myself ready for an O Lineman to be drafted today too (this Albert fellow). If it happens I won't fret, it is what it is.

6. RussFrancis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Im feeling ya, P. Really am. Remember feeling like a stale bagel when we drafted Mankins a few years ago. Which is why Ive warmed up to this idea. But we both know good and well, we're about to welcome some guy to our team that none of us have probably even thought of.

7. RayClay

RayClay Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 13 / -15

#75 Jersey

We're talking about taking a guard and turning him into a left tackle based on a couple fill in games?

And we're talking pick #7?:eek::eek::eek:

8. Peachhead

Peachhead PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +123 / 12 / -0

#75 Jersey

If the Pats took Albert anywhere in the 1st (even after a big trade down) that would be my "throw the TV out the window" moment. The guy wasn't even a mainstay at LT on his team for 3 or 4 years. Meaning he probably wasn't even the best OL on _his college team_. If I'm going to take an OL in the 1st (especially in the top half of the 1st). I want his college coaches to have felt "I don't care who we have to move around. This guy is staying at LT. He's just too damn good to use anyone else there."

9. RussFrancis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Did you see the words, "pick seven" anywhere in my statement?? Calm down, son.

10. RussFrancis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

easy now. step back off the ledge. when our guys start blowing 1st round picks, you let the rest of us know. theyll make the right pick whatever it is. if they take the Albert kid, trust me. they'll know what theyre doing.

11. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

We have a very servicable LT signed through 2010. Where we are weakest is the right side of the Oline. It effects our ability to zone block effectively for our shiny new RB who is not a power runner (something Albert apparently does well) as well as keep The Franchise upright and worn down as the cumulative hits (that even don't result in sacks because he gets rid of the ball just in time) take a toll.

If we take a backup NT or potential mini-me replacement to Seymour or developmental/rotational LB at #7 that would be my throw the TV out the window moment.

At that point I want what Bill claimed that player needs to be - an 8 year pro bowl caliber player. If he trades down out of the top ten, and that nets him a starting caliber OG/T, a starting caliber CB, a rotational pass rushing DE, a developmental/depth ILB and some new blood for the PS no new plasma for me this draft.

Mayock was just on NFLN saying the Ravens may take Albert at 8 (with us taking Rivers...). He showed tape of this kid and he is more impressive than anyone we've ever had on the line. He said Howie Long told him this kid is the most impressive OL he's seen in 20 years because he can pull and he can finish. They showed him taking out (literally) a safety 20 yards downfield to break a huge gain. He is huge and fast and his footwork is great and he dominates. And he's a junior with a high ceiling. Mayock said he absolutely projects as a LT.

Bill will do what ever he believes is best for the team. I just cannot see passing up an OL talent like this because OL projects more safely (not just to a team with a D as complex as ours) to the pros and drafting in the top ten, which we do infrequently, is where you have to hit on a pro bowl caliber pick and not just a quality 8-10 year starter.

12. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

so basically you want to upgrade the best offense in the league? I find it extremely difficult to believe BB is not going 80% defense in this draft.

It seems we all soon forget that the Giants were all over brady and our defense should have been dominating but wore down with little pass rush.

now some would say that upgrading the offensive line would make the offense more effective, but defense wins championships.

I will literally get ticked off if the first rounder is offense. and say they trade down and accumulate more picks next year. well don't be surprised if they get penalized more picks next year.

there is only one goal this year and SB or bust. they need to load up on defense.

13. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I am with you. You need a pro bowler or impact player with #7.

All I ca hear now is 80% on this board whining tht our linebackers are too old and slow next year if the status quo is maintained.

14. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

come on we got Mankins at the end of round 1 and people want a OL with #7?

if anything use the second rounder for the OL and let dante develop him.

15. SamBamsFan

SamBamsFan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A song that we've been singing for the past 4 years...

16. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +580 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

With you 100 per cent.

17. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +338 / 3 / -1

#75 Jersey

I never said we SHOULD. I said IF WE DO!

But we didn't.:rocker:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.