PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A disclaimer about Cassel's back to back 400 yd games

Status
Not open for further replies.
250 yards passing against Pittsburgh would be much more impressive to me than 400+ yards vs. Miami and the NYJ.

Peyton's stat against Pittsburg D when they played them.

P. Manning 21/40 240 3TD's

P.s. Marvin Harrison Dropped some huge Gainers that day...the Colts blocked Pittsburgh's Front 7 which opened up Big plays in their Secondary. I am sure the Patriots are going to take notes from the Colts Game.

the real fact is that both the jets and the dolphins have given up more yards to cassel than anyone else this year.......

so the worst the steelers have done this year is give up 240 yards passing in a game...........what will be said when cassel goes over 300 against these guys

the steelers blitz.......and then they blitz......and then they blitz some more......especially up the middle, so I would expect little available in terms of that shotgun-draw........but no-huddle and having cassel roll out could find alot of empty spots on the field........

speaking of which, the pats have to throw the kitchen sink at roethlisberger........they can't protect him and this is where their game falls apart since they can't run the ball very well

the defense will need to come up big sunday

Great perspective.

Also, how many other QB's have put up 400 yards against the Jets or Fins this season. Must be happening every week, I guess.... ;)

You stole my thought. Stats, Stats, Stats...thats all they are. We all know how stats helped us in last years SB. No other QB threw for more yards against these two teams, in fact, no other QB has thrown for more yardage in the last two games. (PERIOD). I could care less about stats. Matt Cassel is playing lights out football. Enjoy and stop minimizing his accomplishments. He has earned the right to play. No other team would have considered drafting this guy whos never played a down in College. Brady is out and it's Matt Cassel's team now. When the season ends, we can start talking about Cassel/Brady. Until then enjoy the games.

BTW: If you must have stats....NE has 1041 total yards the last two games. We are the #1 ranked offense the last two games. I am sure that is the only stat Pittsburgh is looking at right now.

Um, OK.

I don't care what Billy Volek did. Billy Volek sucks, and no one cares that he threw back to back 400 yards game.

I care that Matt Cassel is good, and that his last two games have been amazing, but that he has not done anything to demonstrate that the Patriots have a QB controversy or should make some rash decision in the offseason. You need to calm down.

I was merely pointing out that Cassel has not yet demonstrated he can defeat a great defense. You have people wanting to keep Cassel next season either in addition to or at the expense of Brady, and he hasn't yet done something Brady has done over and over, and in pressure situations. Next Sunday is Cassel's oppportunity.
Billy Volek might suck...but only FIVE QBs have ever done that...THAT is a fact..(If it was so easy to do...why aren't more doing that??) Frankly I am not a stat person...but wanting to put a disclaimer on what is incredibly rare is silly. Volek has an arm and can throw...THAT is really what it takes...you may have been wise to point out that Volek lost noth games and the Titans that year were pitiful. This feat is NOT at all any indication of greatness...BUT...Cassel is the only QB of teh 5 to have done it against teams with winning records. That he did it in meaningful games for the team is ALSO impressive...not like back to back..games that had NO meaning to the team..
These were big games and he did it under a LOT of pressurel. THAT does mean something!!!
But I agree with you in the large picture..I would have cared more if he threw for less yardage and led the team to a W. All it means is yardage...and unless that means a W..what good is that. We will find out a lot more about cassell..he's an incredible story now..if ge comes anything close to 400 against the Steelers THAt would be great...but really I only care about a W...not the stats he has.
But given what he did..it was VERY SPECIAL...more so than people realize.

Yes, he did, and he's THE BEST EVER!!

Until he has a multi pick game that the team loses. Then the Patriots should cut his lousy ass.

Yes, Brady has not yet had the Tom Brady annual 4 INT game. But he is due... :eek:

Billy Volek might suck...but only FIVE QBs have ever done that...THAT is a fact..(If it was so easy to do...why aren't more doing that??)

But the fact that Billy Volek of all people did it is what makes it more of a trivial item than an impressive feat, IMO. I know Cassel played really well b/c I saw both games, regardless of whether he ended up over 400 yards or not. I saw him hit target after target. Just as I know Brady played amazing every game last season despite never eclipsing 400 yards (largely b/c the games were over by half time). The back to back 400 yards is kind of like hitting for the cycle in baseball, its great, but its not what is important.

But he needs to impress against the Steelers this weekend, who pose a tougher threat. I believe he will succeed, though the #s may not look as impressive. In the meantime, I do want to downplay the 400-400 games, b/c the fact that he did it, the fact that he had that achievement, is being used as a weapon in a lot of silly conversations (revolving around the future of the Patriots QB position).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing