Welcome to PatsFans.com

A democrat would never do this (stand up for America)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Oct 10, 2007.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So this Norwegian comedy "news" show sits down for an interview with NY Republican Councilman James Oddo. And the interviewer starts asking inappropriate questions about Obama and Hillary. So Oddo pulls a nutty and kicks them out of his office.

Can you just imagine if the mock interview was with a democrat, and the interviewer was bashing Bush..? The democrat would gladly join in the Bush bashing for a foreign "news" program.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,300816,00.html

NEW YORK — New York City Councilman James Oddo may have had a meltdown during his first experience with gotcha satire media, but he wasn’t about to go down without a fight.

Dropping the “f-word” no fewer than 16 times in the course of what has become a popular You Tube video, Republican Oddo became irate when he realized the attractive, seemingly harmless young reporter who sat before him last week for an interview in his office was really a comedienne of note for the Norwegian program Rickets Rost, a sort of Scandinavian Daily Show w/Jon Stewart.

Oddo, who is up for borough president as a representative of both Staten Island and Brooklyn in 2009, was unapologetic in a follow-up interview with FOX News.

Anyone who thinks they are going to come in and waste time while mocking him and other American leaders like the Clintons, while implicitly saying “America is a racist nation ... I’m going to throw you out of my office,” Oddo said. He apparently did apologize to his mother for the curse words.

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

3. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It seems we both agree it is great comedy... but ya gotta admit... if the tables were turned, a democrat would just sit there and go along with the Bush bashing....

What's the old phrase..? Internal politics should stop at our nation's shores...? Too bad there are so many in Congress (and in this forum) that hate Bush more than they hate al Qaeda.

If a foreigner wants to come in here and make America look bad, I would rather see a politicial pull an absolute nutty than sit there and go along with them. Wouldn't you..?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +662 / 7 / -2

Good for him.

5. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

I don't agree. I think it very much depends on the situation. Even me, when I lived in Europe, would come to the defense of my country if people were too critical. At some point an attack one's heritage becomes personal for most people, I think.

Here's an example where Buchanan in 2003 doesn't seem to back Bush's war on Iraq on the Ali G (Sasha Cohen) show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwEd_tcKBfU

OT: If you liked that, here's Newt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skv-wWCvGyw

6. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Dignified? No. But honest. Probably not the best way to react to the situation, but at least he has the proverbial "fire in the belly" regarding our country. Let us just hope that he would stand up with the same indignation to those inside the country who would do more than just mock America. I also love his ridiculous New York accent as he's ranting.

7. Patters

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

Sort of nutty, but certainly amusing. His behavior was like a parody of Americans, and I feel like saying, "We're not all like that!" I suspect he was more bothered by the idiocy of the questions than the content. At any rate, he was quite entertaining.

8. STFarmy

STFarmy In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

It acutally was kind of a parody of Americans, and especially of New Yorkers. the italian accent, prolific use of the f-word, and no non-sense attitude all spoke of typical stereotypes one hears of. Very funny nonetheless.

9. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +731 / 11 / -7

I remember having a parallel, if opposite thought, as I watched Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell discussing how Americans had "brought 9/11 on themselves" by behaving in a way contrary to their (and not coincidently, Al Qaeda's) theocratic views.

"A Democrat would never say that!"

I agree with Patters. I too become a zealous defender of America if an outside goes after us as a people, or goes after the idea of America's liberal democracy. My mom's british, and that's how I learned to whack Gomezcat so soundly when he wants to have fun insult wars across the water -- I got sick of hearing her say "it's funny how Americans will..." long after she'd been naturalized. Mind you, 90% of the time she's right on target. But she doesn't get to say that, because you know it's the Brit in her talking, so you have to fire back something about inbred, horse-faced, mechanically waving, princess killing elderly monarchs who don't trust their own son to be King, because he's admitted he'd prefer to be a tampon.

Maybe you're more likely to see a Republican get loony over the perceived insult, even to those across the aisle. But you're also more likely to see a Republican blame his neighbor's exercise of his rights, for the harm done by a foreign entity against our own nation, as demonstrated above.

Similarly, another televangelist type said Florida had wildfires because of homosexuallity. Same basic principal: the people of Florida -- not to mention the homosexuals -- are his countrymen.

Never see a Democrat say crap like that.

PFnV

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

But they did say virtually the exact same thing... oh, they didn't use the "God angle" but to this day we can see the radical left saying how America "deserved" what they got because of their oppressive, imperialistic (etc.) ways...

The only thing is, the ultra-liberal media focused on Falwell and Robertson but not so much on the moonbats who were saying virtually identical things.

11. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

yes, no Democrat would ever flip out and threaten to beat the sh.it out of a blond woman in a joke interview. Why? because Democrats hate America obviously! Yep, that's right 51% of Americans hate America and love terrorists. Precious logic you have there, I'm sure it will win you plenty of votes in 2008 lol. I love how you've managed to try and spin this as something to be proud of instead of the incredibly embarrassing joke that this clown clearly shows himself to be. How dare they tease us! we've never mocked another country. What a bunch of belligerent fools some of you are.