Welcome to PatsFans.com

a CURED AIDS PATIENT

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by NEPatriot, Nov 14, 2008.

1. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

according to our president, Pharmacutc....ummm....I mean JESUS doesn't want to cure people of disease by using stem cells...Its abortion!

On the real, imagine if the leading medical minds iin teh US were allowed to research such things?

Imagine....

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -28

I heard this this morning on the news.. wonder if it works only on non-gay people, as gay folks deserve it if they get aids... :biggrin2::biggrin2: God said so...

4. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I hope that this news doesn't encourage people to be gay.:D

5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Bush is against embryonic stem cells being used for research. These weren't embryonic stem cell, they were adult bone marrow stem cells, you get a F in politics and biology.

6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Not only that but he only banned federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, not the research itself.

7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

All in all this is great news. I hope they put something together for Cancer... :\

8. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Well, he couldn't ban the research itself.. Much like abortion... But there's little doubt he'd like to.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

That's irrelevant. Most people seem to think "Bush banned stem cell research". When he actually "Stopped federal funding of embryonic stem cell research".

I know, details :rolleyes:

10. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

Well, BF, that begs a question or two:

- Do other countries fund embryonic stem cell research?
    - Do they sometimes get information that leads to cures?
    - If so, why don't we?

In fact, if they were using adult stem cells in the German case we're discussing, isn't it possible that they got early data pointing them to this use, from use of embryonic stem cells, which have the advantage of relative plasticity (i.e., ready adaptability into any type of cell for research purposes?)

One has to imagine that the scientific research community, far from being a cabal of baby-eaters, actually wants to research cures for diseases.

So: are we forgoing cures because we won't fund embryonic stem cell research?

Oh and by the way, your funding distinction is absurd. Government grants are a huge part of scientific research. The amount a breakthrough costs sort of makes research a natural for government expenditure, as can be seen in the amount spent by governments worldwide in all fields of scientific endeavor.

PFnV

11. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

This is an unquantifiable opinion statement based largely on feeling... I certainly didn't believe that. Who are "most" people?

12. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yes it is an opinion. As are most things around here. There were a lot of unquantifiable opinions that got Obama elected, the average American isn't smart enough to differentiate.

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The govmint funds thousands of things. I don't like that, but here we are. As long as I'm being taxed up the arse, I want the govmint to fund science. Stop paying for Israeli and Pakistani weapons. Stop subsidizing toxic energy policies. Stop propping up the drug companies by passing rules restricting drugs from other countries. And fakrissakes, STOP THE FINANCIAL SECTOR WELFARE! Cure illness, solve scientific problems and fix the broken sh!t!

14. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +564 / 8 / -8

I couldn't help but recall this guy:
    YouTube - Fix it on SNL

I will stipulate I feel exactly the same way. About the financial sector welfare... eh ummm well... it might be nice if a Troubled Asset Relief Program went to relieve Troubled Assets. Or, if we change our minds and say it's for liquidity, it might be nice if they were lending the money. The idea of just giving the money away for no apparent reason sort of irks me, however.

15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

True,

But this is yet another time that our beloved Mr. Bush has placed his belief in god above everyone's safety and well being. The lack of federal financing has crippled our research to fight disease because of the belief that embryos are infact life. This is the same a$$backwards logic that leads a person to belive in the 10 commanments and also back a war. I'm no expert as my given grade states, but I THINK THou shall not KILL is right up there...morons.

Imagine how far we would have progressed at this point if the GLORIOUS Bush administration had the ability to understand the differences in the wolds of science and faith.

NOw the rest of the world is doing what WE used to do.... Lead The WORLD. Hopeyou all enjoy those stem cells...

Can Barack start today?

16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

Of course the only therapies that have been efective have not used embryonic stem cells. There is no need for government funding based on new enbryonic stem cell lines to produce tumors.

17. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -2

#80 Jersey

[​IMG] PFnV once again affirming his position as HANDS DOWN the best poster in the Political forum.

18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +512 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

This was actually about something involving adult stem cells, your "best poster" changed the subject to why we should support embryonic stem cells research funding which wasn't the issue.

19. Mogamedogz

Mogamedogz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +33 / 1 / -2

#80 Jersey

The post was absolutely relevant to what is being discussed in this thread IMO. He wasn't questioning that adult cells were used in this case, just what the possibilities "could be" if embryonic (stem) cell research was funded appropriately.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +240 / 8 / -13

What is appropiate?

Embryonic stem cells have produced NO therapies of any sort. However adult, bone marrow placential stemcells have all produced usable therapies. Why the obsession with destroying embryos to produce new lines?