PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A cure for Week 4 overconfidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeSixPat

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
If anyone in the Patriots locker room is feeling over confident going into Monday night's game all they need do is look back one year ago.

Week 4 - 2006

One team was coming off an incredibly hot start, easilly dispatching their first three opponents and riding high.

The other team was coming off a shaky start, coming off a loss and lucky to have even one narrow victory, and now was faced with the prospect of playing the 3-0 team in hostile territory.

The 3-0 Bengals lost that game, with the Patriots pulling together to win convincingly following a squeaker against Buffalo, a close game against the Jets and a loss to Denver.

I'd be willing to bet someone in the organzition has given this history lesson this week.

How soon i've forgotten!

If anyone in the Patriots locker room is feeling over confident going into Monday night's game all they need do is look back one year ago.

Week 4 - 2006
Week 4 (and 5 and 6 and 7) in 2002 might be an even better example.

None of that means anything because those teams were not this one and this one can't be stoped..... the only parrell I can make is that when we crush cincy again this week it might take them weeks to pick it back up like last year.

I have never been more confident of win than this one.....since last week....

The simpler cure is this -- the team had trouble being up for Buffalo. Fortunately, against Buffalo they could afford to wait to dial up the intensity.

I doubt they'll forget the lesson in a single week.

Week 5 the cures will be:

A. It's Romeo's team.
B. Rodney is back.

Week 6 and 7, the opponents take care of the problem automatically.

You want a cure for Game 4 overconfidence? Check out 2002. I believe that qwe won the first three with a great offense, and then lost four in a row.

One game at a time, baby!!

Last edited:
Who is overconfident other than some of the fans that post here?

Here's a cure: They are playing at home. They are playing on Monday night. They have an explosive offense with an excellent QB and two very good recievers. They may not be as good on D but they are taught to go after the ball to create turnovers.

I'm not overconfident at all. This is the NFL and any team can beat the other on any given week. I do like our chances but won't be shocked if something bad happens.

Who is overconfident other than some of the fans that post here?

Here's a cure: They are playing at home. They are playing on Monday night. They have an explosive offense with an excellent QB and two very good recievers. They may not be as good on D but they are taught to go after the ball to create turnovers.

I'm not overconfident at all. This is the NFL and any team can beat the other on any given week. I do like our chances but won't be shocked if something bad happens.

All we have to do is look at the Steelers game yesterday. They were flying high and ran into that NFL juggernaut Arizona (and yes, I know the AZ coaches used to coach Pitt, but come on? What kind of performance was that?).

Bottom line is you've got to play every game as if it is the most important one on the schedule, because it is.

A lot of people lately seem to have this notion that we will go undefeated and therefore overconfidence is going to ruin everything. I'm not calling out anyone on this thread, so remain calm and hear me out.

I am not worried if the Pats lose a game or two this year, as long as they are playing good heading into the playoffs and Brady and Moss are okay, I will take our chances at the real prize.

If they are overconfident, let them lose a game (to a non-playoff team). And then they won't be overconfident anymore.

If they are not overconfident, and still playing with anger/motivation/whatever than let's just keep trying to play good THIS WEEK. And then repeat the short term focus NEXT WEEK.

Maybe we can do that another 13 times in a row, maybe not. I am not really concerned about the confidence issue because nothing restores humility like a loss, and this team gets focused after a loss. So either way, we are good to go in my opinion.

I am sorry, but I can't think of a lot of good reasons to worry about confidence levels in the first month. The first month is when we have 32 teams ready to win the superbowl each season. October is when this mess will all be sorted out more clearly and trends develop.

I do not think the 'bottom' will drop out of this year's Pats in the first month or two of play due to overconfidence, personally. We have plenty of games left to find some humility if it is indeed lacking.

A lot of people lately seem to have this notion that we will go undefeated and therefore overconfidence is going to ruin everything. I'm not calling out anyone on this thread, so remain calm and hear me out.

I am not worried if the Pats lose a game or two this year, as long as they are playing good heading into the playoffs and Brady and Moss are okay, I will take our chances at the real prize.

If they are overconfident, let them lose a game (to a non-playoff team). And then they won't be overconfident anymore.

If they are not overconfident, and still playing with anger/motivation/whatever than let's just keep trying to play good THIS WEEK. And then repeat the short term focus NEXT WEEK.

Maybe we can do that another 13 times in a row, maybe not. I am not really concerned about the confidence issue because nothing restores humility like a loss, and this team gets focused after a loss. So either way, we are good to go in my opinion.

I am sorry, but I can't think of a lot of good reasons to worry about confidence levels in the first month. The first month is when we have 32 teams ready to win the superbowl each season. October is when this mess will all be sorted out more clearly and trends develop.

I do not think the 'bottom' will drop out of this year's Pats in the first month or two of play due to overconfidence, personally. We have plenty of games left to find some humility if it is indeed lacking.

Excellent points.
The real fear of overconfidnece is a mediocre team that gets hot, then comes back to earth.
If the Pats suffer overconfidence, which I do not think they do, by the way, it could cost them a game, but they will be in the drivers seat anyway.

This is not directly related but does concern the future of the team in a similar way over-confidence would adversely affect the team: I sincerely hope and pray the karma bug does not bite the Pats on the butt by (God forbid) TB getting a cheap shot injury in retaliation for Wilfork's mistake against Losman.

I know, I know: Losman was not hurt badly. And Vince has a good record in the league. BUT, you just KNOW that there are some who would use any excuse to take out the hottest QB on the hottest team -- not mention, the "most despised" -- in the league.

Let us all pray that there will not be even one more instance of any potentially injurious shots at any of our opposing personnel, especially their QBs.

//

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey