PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Couple Of Rumours For What They're Worth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad there aren't any trades allowed, because Steve Smith has already cleaned out his locker and suite in Carolina. I wonder if he could be a realistic fit here, and how much it'd take? At least we know he can play hard and give his all.
At what, bashing his teammates? I watched one Carolina game last season and wound up turning it over before the half, not because Clausen sucked or their defense sucked, but because Clausen kept hitting his receivers in the hands, and they kept dropping the ball. Steve Smith was one of those guys and the elder receiver on the team, his unit stunk on ice and he provided zero leadership in that game in terms of being a good example. Do Not Want.

I expect NE to draft at least one WR in this draft. Tate should be in LA running routes with Tommy, ditto Price, Edelman, Farnham, Jenkins, Slater, and the tight ends. Tate's redshirt-rookie season was Givens good, let's see if he can be more productive under pressure.

Wednesday A.M.
Rumors fast and furious
1) Reporter out of Houstons says Houston looking to move up for Miller or Peterson
2) NFL Network talking head says Washington wants to move up to #2
3) PFT writes...Pitt wants to move up for another Pouncey
4) Peter King says Atlanta wants WR Green or Jones

Last edited:
I would be dissapointed with Jordan,Watt,A Smith,Wilkerson and Kerrigan with a trade up that high. They are considered good players who could be impact. But to trade up for one of them all the way to 9 or 10 is not letting the draft unfold to you. You are losing a good pick in the process and one of those guys would of fell to you anyways.

I am convinced it is for Cameron Jordan ... I think they have him ranked high and that JJ Watt is not on there draft board because of his agent. They won't take a player represented by Tom Condon.

Wednesday A.M.
Rumors fast and furious
1) Reporter out of Houstons says Houston looking to move up for Miller or Peterson

Everybody wants.

Wednesday A.M.
Rumors fast and furious

I keep hearing this Atlanta thing, but what could they possibly offer to get into the top 10 from 27? Next year's 1st AND this year's 2nd? Even that seems a little low, considering how there's no chance of getting an early 1st round pick next year.

Last edited:
I expect NE to draft at least one WR in this draft. Tate should be in LA running routes with Tommy, ditto Price, Edelman, Farnham, Jenkins, Slater, and the tight ends. Tate's redshirt-rookie season was Givens good, let's see if he can be more productive under pressure.

Has Givens ever dropped that many balls in a season as Tate though? I don't recall that happening. Tate also doesn't seem much of a route runner at this stage in his career. He would be the anti-Givens as far as I'm concerned.

I think the Pats DO need another receiver to add competition to the job but I don't feel they need to move up for a Julio Jones. Defense is a far more pressing need. I'd be satisfied with a Hankerson, Torrey Smith, or Edmund Gates later on in the draft, ie round 2+.

Has Givens ever dropped that many balls in a season as Tate though? I don't recall that happening. Tate also doesn't seem much of a route runner at this stage in his career. He would be the anti-Givens as far as I'm concerned.

I think the Pats DO need another receiver to add competition to the job but I don't feel they need to move up for a Julio Jones. Defense is a far more pressing need. I'd be satisfied with a Hankerson, Torrey Smith, or Edmund Gates later on in the draft, ie round 2+.
Givens did have 9 receptions his first season playing, I think I can be a little more patient with the kid.

O'Connell had the highest Wonderlic score among QBs in 2008.

In fact, he had all the measurables . . . but couldn't cut it here.

Not trying to bash Kaepernick, just trying to point out that there's not much he brings to the table—other than poise, perhaps—that O'Connell didn't.

And the BB braintrust invested a third for him...

Givens' best year might have been his 3rd season in 2004 with 56 catches for 874 yds and 3 TDs (15.6 YPC). According to FO, he was targeted 106 times so his catch rate works out to 53% (Tate's catch rate was 48% in his "rookie" season, on an 18.0 YPC). No, I have no idea how many of those 50 "missed connections" on those targets to Givens were drops, but I imagine there were a few.

In most cases, the higher a WR's YPC, the lower his catch rate. In '05 - '06, when Givens' YPC was in the 12-13 range, his catch rate was higher.

Also, Givens returned exactly two kicks and zero punts in his career, so Tate adds some significant value there.

All I have to say is that if the Pats trade up for Jones and they give up both firsts, they better make a splash in free agency (whenever that happens) to beef up the front seven of the defense. The Pats are in desperate need of a difference making pass rusher and a WR won't fill that need.

One thing that scares me about Julio Jones is that I looked at my Lindy's Draft guide and the compared him to David Boston. Not that that means anything and I am sure they didn't mean Boston's desire to weight lift himself out of a playing career, but still a bad omen. Although before Boston got all juiced out, he was an excellent WR.

At what, bashing his teammates? I watched one Carolina game last season and wound up turning it over before the half, not because Clausen sucked or their defense sucked, but because Clausen kept hitting his receivers in the hands, and they kept dropping the ball. Steve Smith was one of those guys and the elder receiver on the team, his unit stunk on ice and he provided zero leadership in that game in terms of being a good example. Do Not Want.

So I take it you don't like Smith as a FA pickup? ;)

I agree he has some questions of character concerns, and it's not like I'm his biggest fan, I just thought he could provide a FA pickup if the price was right.

As far as my 'plays hard/gives his all' comment, I was pretty much referring to his 10 seasons of 14, 15 and 16 game starts (with the exception of his 2004 injury).

So I take it you don't like Smith as a FA pickup? ;)

I agree he has some questions of character concerns, and it's not like I'm his biggest fan, I just thought he could provide a FA pickup if the price was right.

As far as my 'plays hard/gives his all' comment, I was pretty much referring to his 10 seasons of 14, 15 and 16 game starts (with the exception of his 2004 injury).
I am less than enthused by your suggestion.

angry-homer-simpson.jpg

One thing that scares me about Julio Jones is that I looked at my Lindy's Draft guide and the compared him to David Boston. Not that that means anything and I am sure they didn't mean Boston's desire to weight lift himself out of a playing career, but still a bad omen. Although before Boston got all juiced out, he was an excellent WR.

Yeah, the Boston thing was spooky. But that guy almost caught 1600 yards in 2001, so he wouldn't be all bad.

All I have to say is that if the Pats trade up for Jones and they give up both firsts, they better make a splash in free agency (whenever that happens) to beef up the front seven of the defense. The Pats are in desperate need of a difference making pass rusher and a WR won't fill that need.

I very much doubt both firsts will be necessary, or worth it. Either 17th + the 60th or 74th, or maybe 28th + 33rd. As much as I like Jones, I wouldn't be comfortable with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back