Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Compilation of Political Truisms:

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatsWSB47, Oct 29, 2012.

1. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +252 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

I received this in an email earlier today

A few excellent and biting observations of the political animal, regardless of party affiliation (or nation for that matter.)

If God wanted us to vote, he would have given us candidates. ~ Jay Leno

The problem with political jokes is they get elected. ~ Henry Cate VII

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. ~ Aesop

If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these State of the Union speeches, there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven. ~ Will Rogers

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river. ~ Nikita Khrushchev

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm beginning to believe it. ~ Clarence Darrow

Why pay money to have your family tree traced. Go into politics and your opponents will do it for you. ~ Author unknown

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go out and buy some more tunnel. ~ John Quinton

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~ Oscar Ameringer

I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I will stop telling the truth about them. ~ Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country. ~ Tex Guinan

I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians. ~ Charles de Gaulle

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to change the locks. ~ Doug Larson

2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,013 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Good find ... this one was my favorite ... so true.

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other. ~ Oscar Ameringer

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  3. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +513 / 9 / -4

#75 Jersey

A few of my own favorites:

"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." - Winston Churchill

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." - Abraham Lincoln

"You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence." - Abraham Lincoln

"Ballots are the rightful and peaceful successors to bullets." -
    Abraham Lincoln

4. Triumph

Triumph Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +472 / 65 / -35

#32 Jersey

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people." —Dan Quayle

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first.
    Ronald Reagan

Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen.
    Winston Churchill

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you disgrace yourself you can always write a book.
    Ronald Reagan

If everybody in this town connected with politics had to leave town because of chasing women and drinking, you would have no government.
    Barry Goldwater

One lesson you better learn if you want to be in politics is that you never go out on a golf course and beat the President.
    Lyndon B. Johnson

Poetry is about the grief. Politics is about the grievance.
    Robert Frost

Politics would be a helluva good business if it weren't for the goddamned people.
    Richard M. Nixon