PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Common Misconception: Cardinals are much more than Larry Fitzgerald

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kid~Brady

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Damon from Orlando, Fla., thinks the Arizona Cardinals' defense is being overlooked after allowing zero drives longer than 45 yards until Seattle's final drive Sunday.

"No one is giving them credit for the win," Damon writes.

Limiting Brady and the Patriots would secure for Arizona's defense the respect it deserves.

I think the general concensus is that when we hear "Arizona Cardinals" we immediately think Larry Fitzgerald and nothing more but let's not forget that the Cardinals have a very potent defense lead by Darnell Dockett. The O-line held up well against a decent Titans defensive line last week but this defense will be a much better test to really gauge the O-line in my opinion.

This defense has what it takes to shake Brady a little. I don't think its enough for them to upset us but enough to take a good look at as fans. Thoughts?

link: Cards' defense can earn respect vs. Pats - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

The question though is did the Cards shutdown the Seattle offense because they are that good or that the Seahawks have a rookie QB who may be one of the most overrated players of the preseason?

Last edited:
The question though is did the Cards shutdown the Seattle offense because they are that good or that the Seahawks have a rookie QB who may be one of the most overrated players of the preseason?

The Cardinals D has been pretty good for a few years now probably since there SB appearance a few years ago. Its not the nastiest D ever and the rest of the team was pretty bad for a few years so they never really get any props. This is not some one week anomly and one could argue that our D is more deserving of that question than theirs (exchanging rookie for first year starter).

The Cardinals D has been pretty good for a few years now probably since there SB appearance a few years ago. Its not the nastiest D ever and the rest of the team was pretty bad for a few years so they never really get any props. This is not some one week anomly and one could argue that our D is more deserving of that question than theirs (exchanging rookie for first year starter).

Their defense is good. I don't disagree with that, but I think their performance last week was not a good indicator because of the fact they faced a rookie QB who might be a long ways away from being a decent starter and a banged up Marshawn Lynch.

they have not face a top QB since week 8 last year (ravens) unless you count alex smith as one

they are also not all that strong against the run.

I expect the cards to be torn a new one sunday

I'm on record as stating the Cardinal defense might be every bit as good as the Raven's D. And in that respect will be a good test for our offense just a week before our game with the Ravens. This is as good a defense as we will face all season. I don't think the Pats are overlooking them. And given how badly our D gave up yards last season, I don't think they can afford to overlook ANYONE. ;)

If our offense is as efficient as it was against the Titans, I see no reason for it to be effective against the Ravens too. But that's the IF here. (Also we'll be home against AZ and on the road vs Baltimore)

I think the cardinals defense benefits statistically from being in the NFC west.

last year, they got dumped on by newton, manning, roethlisberger, flacco

they didn't stop anyone good

I thought it was somewhat known that they do have some studs on that front line - Calais Cambpell,Darnell Dockett in particular and Adrian Wilson might be getting older but he has been a top safety in his career imo.

No defense (good or bad) can stop us.

Washington is their best defender, I wanted the Pats to draft him as well.

Washington is their best defender, I wanted the Pats to draft him as well.

Well...we did have a shot at him but we took some injury prone TE a few picks before him. And then Cunningham and Spikes a few picks after he was gone.

hehe

We'll see about this vaunted Arizona defense on Sunday at 1 p.m. Pittsburgh Steelers this and Pittsburgh Steelers that.

In 2011, the Giants, the Vikings, the Ravens and the Steelers all hung 30 or more points on the 8-8 Cardinals. Their biggest win of the season was beating the 8-8 Dallas Cowboys who rang up 327 yards on the Cardinals but somehow only came away with 13 points.

The Cardinal defense was a middle-of-the road defense ranking 17th in points allowed and 18th in yards allowed. They play in the worst division in the NFC with "pumped and jacked" Seattle, the 49ers and the Rams. The got smoked by the upper echelon teams.

In 2011 they sucked against the run ranking 21st against the run and 23rd in TDs allowed - they stink in the Red Zone. I look forward to seeing their faces when they look up and see Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and Ridley salivating on 3rd and goal.

The wise guys have them as 14 point underdogs in this game, so they're not too worried that the Pats won't score on them and just about everybody has the Pats hanging 30 or more on them in the guess the score contest.

The only common misperception around here is that the Cardinals will be more than a speed bump for Brady, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker (huge game Sunday), Lloyd, Ridley & company in their home opener.

Last edited:
Cardinals defensive scoring rankings under Whisenhunt:

2011: 17
2010: 30
2009: 14
2008: 28
2007: 27

and that's playing in the NFCW.

We'll see about this vaunted Arizona defense on Sunday at 1 p.m. Pittsburgh Steelers this and Pittsburgh Steelers that.
And if their D is very similar to the Steelers D, doesn't that play into our hand as well? The Pats have, traditionally, had good success against the steelers.

While it could be considered a trap game with so many obvious advantages:
  • Patriot Home Opener
  • West Coast team coming eats for a 1pm game
  • Backup QB (though that thought can scare me as we've made rookies/journeymen look like world beaters)
  • Vegas with Pats giving 14 points, though that speaks more to psychology than game tiem reality.
  • More weapons than should be legal for a single team :)

I think the general concensus is that when we hear "Arizona Cardinals" we immediately think Larry Fitzgerald and nothing more but let's not forget that the Cardinals have a very potent defense lead by Darnell Dockett. The O-line held up well against a decent Titans defensive line last week but this defense will be a much better test to really gauge the O-line in my opinion.

This defense has what it takes to shake Brady a little. I don't think its enough for them to upset us but enough to take a good look at as fans. Thoughts?

link: Cards' defense can earn respect vs. Pats - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN
Just because many fans and analysts misunderstand that winning football isn't about how good the first 3 guys you can name are, doesn't mean it has any validity.
I'm not quite sure what leads you to think the Cardinal defense is 'very potent'. 'Very average' might be a complement.

I'm on record as stating the Cardinal defense might be every bit as good as the Raven's D. And in that respect will be a good test for our offense just a week before our game with the Ravens. This is as good a defense as we will face all season. I don't think the Pats are overlooking them. And given how badly our D gave up yards last season, I don't think they can afford to overlook ANYONE. ;)

If our offense is as efficient as it was against the Titans, I see no reason for it to be effective against the Ravens too. But that's the IF here. (Also we'll be home against AZ and on the road vs Baltimore)

I hope you are correct, because it would be nice to see the Ravens defense become weak.

I'm on record as stating the Cardinal defense might be every bit as good as the Raven's D.
Ken - the problem is THEY AREN'T. There is not one statistic from last year that bears that out. Look at what you want. Sacks, yards, QB rating, turnovers, anything. The Ravens were a top three defense, the Cardinals were an above average defense. Other than listing their good players there's no basis to what you said.

Also (team not defense specific) :

They were 6-2 at home, 2-6 on the road.
They were 7-4 on grass, 1-4 on turf.
They were 7-3 intdoor, 1-5 outdoor.

But believe what you want.

The Browns did ;)
Whether we like it or not, the Giants and the Ryans are the only ones who seem to be able to stop us. Rob in that game. We know Rex has. The Giants, unfortunately. Also we are a FAR better offense now than in that Browns game.

Not many others.

Last edited:
Cardinals defensive scoring rankings under Whisenhunt:

2011: 17
2010: 30
2009: 14
2008: 28
2007: 27

and that's playing in the NFCW.

But thats just stats. Out defense was ranked 31st last season, although we were in the middle for TDs given up. Defense stats are always a little skewed to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots