PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

a case for DeAngelo Williams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murphys95

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
From our latest mock draft - http://www.murphysfans.com/scott.htm

21. New England - DeAngelo Williams, RB (Memphis)

Williams could go much higher but running backs seem to have a tendency to slip in the draft. Could Williams be this year's Vince Wilfork, a player rated higher but who falls to the Patriots at #21? That is the kind of value you look for in the draft. Personally, I have a lot of questions regarding Williams. First, he is short at 5-9 and while he weighed-in at 214 pounds during the Combine, his playing weight throughout his career was closer to 208. Second, he is not a polished blocker in the passing game, which is a critical skill to keep one's QB healthy. Third, he is often compared to Barry Sanders for his incredible shiftiness but what I see when I watch him run is someone who would prefer to juke and dance rather than plow ahead for the critical yards. Still, he has feature-back potential. Williams put up huge numbers in four years at Memphis (5,661 rushing yards, 726 receiving yards, and 55 TDs), and although he has a lot of wear already for a young running back, his production is simply phenomenal. Personally, I think Corey Dillon is still a great running back with a couple of good years left in him and I wonder what the addition of Williams would do for team chemistry. Williams would be instant insurance, but would the team spend a first round pick on a guy who projects to start only if Dillon get hurts? Let's look at it this way: Coach Belichick told a story just this week about taking linebacker Carl Banks in the draft when he was with the Giants and they already had solid 'backers including Lawrence Taylor. Belichick said that all the "experts" reacted as though it was a wasted pick, but the team took Banks because of the value of the player, period. The good players find a way to play. Williams could well be the future in New England, if for no other reason than that he represents the best value on the board at this spot.

The problem with Williams is we have no idea how good he really is because he played in Conference USA. I was looking forward to seeing him against tennessee but he decided not to play that game. I have no way of knowing whether you're right or wrong. Williams is a total crap-shoot...

PonyExpress said:
The problem with Williams is we have no idea how good he really is because he played in Conference USA. I was looking forward to seeing him against tennessee but he decided not to play that game. I have no way of knowing whether you're right or wrong. Williams is a total crap-shoot...

sounds like the exact same questions about tomlinson.

Did people know how good Marshall Faulk was at San Diego State? Or LT at TCU? Nope. Its kind of a risk/very high reward pick. he can end up being a Kevin Faulk...very good in college but then nothing more than a 3rd down back. I like Williams and wish him luck wherever he plays but I dont know if we choose him because hes small compared to RBs we like or what Beiloi wants but I would welcome him

Sorry to rain on the parade.."Acts as if he's the mayor of Memphis and expects to be treated like royalty." Does that sound like a Patriot player???
He doesn't practice well or play hurt or really try to improve his play. Sorry..sounds like a guy who wants a payday and then be lazy. A BUST waiting to happen. Don't take the bait...PASS on Williams!!

Last edited:
tuckeverlasting said:
sounds like the exact same questions about tomlinson.
True, but absolutely nothing can be drawn from this info. THe fact that LT made it says nothing about whether WIlliams will. It is still a crap shoot. High risk, high reward is a better policy for lousy teams who need to take chances to move up the food chain. A bust for them means nothing - they already suck. Those already at the top can be more conservative and not take risks - a bust for them is a definate step down.

Last edited:
Pats726 said:
Sorry to rain on the parade.."Acts as if he's the mayor of Memphis and expects to be treated like royalty." Does that sound like a Patriot player???
He doesn't practice well or play hurt or really try to improve his play. Sorry..sounds like a guy who wants a payday and then be lazy. A BUST waiting to happen. Don't take the bait...PASS on Williams!!

I think attitude is a big factor for any potential draftee.

But what is exactly does that mean, sound like a Patriot player? What exactly does a Patriots player sound like?

Pats726 said:
Where is that qoute from? And frankly..have you ever met a pro athelete? Many of them come across the exact same way...I remember meeting Nomar and thinking what an ***** Whole he was. Didn't have any bearing on his ability though.

Quick, pick him

I agree, he's my pick

Murphys95 said:
I think attitude is a big factor for any potential draftee.

But what is exactly does that mean, sound like a Patriot player? What exactly does a Patriots player sound like?
Source for that quote... The Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide...That was a direct quote from it...and I think it says a lot about attitude.
Do you know many Patriot players that wish to be treated like royalty?? If you do, I think you should let us know about them. I don't know any that veer all that much in that direction.
Do you know many Patriot players that do not work to improve or hate to practice?? If you go deeper past the stats, that is what you find.
I wish he had a different attitude and better intangibles..now, I would NOT want the Pats to take him at all. Let the Jets Colts take him and be a bust there.

Pats726 said:
Source for that quote... The Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide...That was a direct quote from it...and I think it says a lot about attitude.
Do you know many Patriot players that wish to be treated like royalty?? If you do, I think you should let us know about them. I don't know any that veer all that much in that direction.
Do you know many Patriot players that do not work to improve or hate to practice?? If you go deeper past the stats, that is what you find.
I wish he had a different attitude and better intangibles..now, I would NOT want the Pats to take him at all. Let the Jets Colts take him and be a bust there.

That's an interesting quote to say the least. That is the first I've heard of any attitude surrounding Williams, especially considering he won the ARA Sportsmanship Award and has been consistently praised as a "good person" by his Memphis coach. As a fan, and an outsider to the draft process, I like Williams - and I judge that on the totality of the information, not just one publication's opinion. I know there are other draft sources that focus on DeAngelo's negatives too. But on the whole, Williams appears to be great value.

As for Patriots players, they are treated like royalty in New England. Again, with no first-hand knowledge here, I'd venture to guess that the Patriots team as a whole is no less arrogant than any other NFL team (these are pro athletes we're talking about, one has to expect a certain amount of ego0.

By the way here's a quote from Memphis Coach, Tommy West: "DeAngelo is the type of athlete that coaches love to coach. He does everything asked of him on the field and off the field and he always carries himself in a classy way."

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/12-21-2005/0004238189&EDATE=

You'll notice **** MacPherson praising Williams in this article as well.

One more quote from NFL.com's draft prospect section: "he consistently has shown a willingness to fight through ankle sprains to stay in the game."

Just my 2 cents.

AHAHA D Williams not mature? No work ethic? He was the team for Memphis..hes a classy guy. He even tried getting back on field after breaking leg during season but wasnt allowed. Kid works hard..those descriptions sound more like LenDale White not DeAngelo

Remix 6 said:
AHAHA D Williams not mature? No work ethic? He was the team for Memphis..hes a classy guy. He even tried getting back on field after breaking leg during season but wasnt allowed. Kid works hard..those descriptions sound more like LenDale White not DeAngelo
Wasn';t allowed to play??? Why did he sit out vs Tennessee...with a mild injury..a knee sprain??? Didn't want to play against a tough D??? I think there's a LOT of questions about character even though there are some positives..SORRY the Pats should pass on him.

knee sprains are pretty bad..what about 2 years ago..when he was very productive once again? Senior Bowl he looked pretty good too

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
knee sprains are pretty bad..what about 2 years ago..when he was very productive once again? Senior Bowl he looked pretty good too

Please, can you tell me which top 40 rated run defense he ran against and did well against. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams slide to the upper second round mostly due to the NFL tendency to find something to dislike about high production college players who for some reason haven't been deemed "better than anyone." Teams will be stand knock-kneed and wonder why if he's so good that everyone isn't in agreement on him as an uber-talent. He's only TWO inches shorter than Bush after all - on top on weighing more.

I only saw him play once and watching his highlight tapes there sure seems to be a lot of talent there but he worries me for a reason I can't quite name...

Last edited:
The most telling thing to me about Wiliams is this. He took himself out of the biggest game (UTenn) and against the best defense he faced with a minor injury.

To me, that says pass on him.

theres no evidence proving he didnt play because its tenn.

heres evidence LT didnt play tough teams

Since TCU's schedule lacks a Top 25 team, the matchup against Big Ten opponent Northwestern is perhaps the only game that can measure Tomlinson against the other Heisman contenders. Northwestern downed the Homed Frogs, 17-7, last season and held Tomlinson to 94 yards on 18 carries--one of his four sub-100-yard games.

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
theres no evidence proving he didnt play because its tenn.
Actually according to the PFW Draft Guide...there is. "Decided to sit out with a mild injury vs Tennessee, the best defense he would face all year and would not play hurt or show the heart of a champion."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes