Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Camera, A Camera, What I Wouldn't Give For a Camera

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Mrs.PatsFanInVa, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

This is insane. Depending on what television station you are watching or what print/internet media you are reading there seems to be two distinct debates going on in Washington.

Democrats are insisting that the money issue has been solved and the only thing preventing an agreement is that the Republicans won't let go of defunding Planned Parenthood.

Turn the channel, flip the page and the Republicans are insisting that the Democrats won't cut enough money from the proposed budget and the riders don't matter to them.

Regardless of what "side" you're on, it's obvious someone's lying.

This is not a thread about who's lying - this is a thread about transparency and the real need for broadcasted sessions of both the Senate and the Congress.

None of this could be happening if there were reporters present or cameras running.

The damage being done to both sides and The Tea Party is enormous. How do they not see this?
  2. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

For the last week Ive been reading over and over on multiple sites that its the Defunding of Planned Parenthood that is the sticking point. That theres a hard core group on the right that won't agree to pass the bill and of course no one on the left will allow that to happen.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +312 / 7 / -3

#12 Jersey

Yes, I know, but when they interview people like Boehner and McConnell or Cantor or any other Republican representative they insist that the Dems have not cut enough - that they (the republicans) don't care about "ideals" other than less spending and that's it - according to them that's the only thing that's keeping an agreement from being reached. They pooh-pah any mention of Planned Parenthood, they evade answering direct questions about their personal feelings about it and they go right back and insist that it's all about the budget cuts and nothing else.
  4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

Obama and the rest of the Dems should have passed a bill last year. They gambled that it would get ugly and cost them some votes in November, in the end it didn't matter they lost anyways now they have this as a result.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

Well Reid, Pelosi and democrats controlled congress until Jan 1, 2011. There were supposed to pass this budget before 10-1-2011. They failed to do the job there were supposed to do. If they had passed a budget this wouldn't be an issue.

As their President told the pubbies in 2009 'I won you lost elections have consequences'. The budget has been expanded by !40% since Obama has taken office. Even the 61B the pubbies are wanting to cut is a drop in the bucket compared of the 3,600B in spending we are currently doing.

The proposed cuts are a paltry 1.7% of the budget.
  6. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Me? I feel very strongly both ways
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Pretty obvious that people want this to happen. This has nothuing to do with Planned Parenthood, or the EPA, or how much we 'cut spending'. Its about the minority mob ruling like it did in the Senate for the last 2 years, and is currently running wild in the House. These Tea Party people want a shutdown. They think it validates them.

Talked with my brother today, Tea-Party guy...he said:

" honestly, i hope they have a shutdown. Im curious how much government we really need.
    I imagine it is much less than we are told we need. "

Its like a fun little experiment for the tea-party.

Back on topic, its obvious why we are all confused as to these negotiatios. We all saw what happened to Newt in 1994, and the republicans after they had a decisive victory in the election that year. Nobody wants to accept the blame on this one. Also, back then the 24/hr news cycle was dominated by a single source, the right wing machine wasnt really up and running until 1999 when FOX flipped. You only really had Rush on am, and nobody was listening to am radio back then.

I often enjoy (to some extent) days like today, where I can flip between CNN, MSNBC, and FOX and get three different versions of what is called "reporting".

-If this was about money, I'm sure we could build one less air craft carrier.
    -If this was about abortion, the repoublicans would've attempterd an overturn when Bush was in the whitehouse, the congress was republican and teh supreme court was conservative.

This is about the tea party saying some dumb things, and thinking they need to stand by their words. Boener and Obama are spineless, and we all know Harry Reid is a jellyfish...

They (congress, AND the whitehouse) want a shutdown...and thats what they'll get.
  8. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

I believe you could be right the budget is being held hostage by the teabaggers huberis. BUT why don't the Dems just come out and say so? I do keep reading this is about abortion though. That the right has dug in its heels and doesn't want any money even if its indirect to go to abortion here or abroad.
  9. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

IMO the rats want a replay of 1995 cause they think it will help them politically.
  10. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

We will not find out it has been resolved, as most budgets are.. through give and take.

Both sides will say they won, in reality the only thing that won was the democratic process...