Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Call For Respect and Calm

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Turk, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Turk

Turk Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

The following is a joint declaration by the leaders of Spain and Turkey.

A call for respect and calm by R.T. ERDOGAN and J.L.R. ZAPATERO

International Herald Tribune

A call for respect and calm

R.T. ERDOGAN and J.L.R. ZAPATERO

Prime Ministers of Turkey and Spain

With growing concern, we are witnessing the escalation in disturbing tensions provoked by the publication, in European newspapers, of caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad that Muslims consider deeply
    offensive. We shall all be the losers if we fail to immediately defuse this situation, which can only leave a trail of mistrust and misunderstanding between both sides in its wake. Therefore, it is necessary to make an appeal for respect and calm, and let the voice of reason be heard.

Last year, when the heads of government of Turkey and Spain presided over the launching of work on the Alliance of Civilizations Project, we did so based on a firm belief: that we needed initiatives and instruments to stop
    the spiral of hatred and obfuscation that, in itself, constitutes a threat to international peace and security.

The unfortunate events that we are seeing now only reaffirm our diagnosis and our commitment to seek even more support for this cause.

Historically, Spain and Turkey have been at crossroads between East and West. Therefore, we are very aware that the way in which close contact between different cultures is handled can be enormously enriching, but it
    can also set off destructive contentions.

In a globalized world, in which the relationships and exchanges among different civilizations continue to multiply, and in which a local incident may have worldwide repercussions, it is vital that we cultivate
    the values of respect, tolerance and peaceful coexistence.

Freedom of _expression is one of the cornerstones of our democratic systems and we shall never relinquish it. But there are no rights without responsibility and respect for different sensibilities. The publication of
    these caricatures may be perfectly legal, but it is not indifferent and thus ought to be rejected from a moral and political standpoint.

In the end, all of this lends itself to misunderstandings and
    misrepresentations of cultural differences that are perfectly in harmony with our commonly shared values. Ignoring this fact usually paves the way for mistrust, alienation and anger, all of which may result in undesirable consequences that we all have to work hard to avoid.

The only way for us to build a more just international system is through maximum respect for the beliefs of both sides. We are fully committed to observing the norms of international law and to the defense of the
    international organizations that embody it. But neither laws nor institutions are enough to ensure peace in the world.

We need to cultivate peaceful coexistence, which is only possible when there is interest in understanding the other side's point of view, and respect for that which it holds most sacred. These are the basic premises
    and main goals of the Alliance of Civilizations promoted by Spain and Turkey.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan is the prime minister of Turkey, José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero is the prime minister of Spain. )

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/opinion/edprimes.php

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +822 / 2 / -9

Where was this call for respect when they were "Carving Heads Off" on worldwide TV.

Where was this call for respect when the slimey scum slaughtered 3000 innocent men women and children on 9/11.

Where was this call for respect when Saddam and his Demented sons were butchering human beings and raping little children while they forced the parents to watch.

Respect, "Bullsh!t"

3. OhExaulted1

OhExaulted1 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +403 / 17 / -29

#15 Jersey

No Turks were involved in carving off the heads of Americans. Turkey is an important ally that should not be disregarded. Many innocent Iraqi's are paying the price for Saudi Arabia's extremist attitude's, yet most of you right-wingers don't see any difference from one country to the next. 15 of 19 of the hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. Osama Bin Laden is from Saudi Arabia. So you rag on Turkey. What?

Turkey, Egypt, Pakistan and Indonesia represent HALF of the worlds Muslim population. These are countries we have good relationships with. We have for many years. We should make it a point to keep them (even in light of this moron who's president).

3000 Americans died at the hands of Saudi Arabians, yet you choose to blame every other country in the world but them. Why? I don't get it.

If Saudi's kill Americans, we'll attack Afgahnistan and Iraq. Makes perfect sense if you're into oil.

4. Turk

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Do you have ADD?

Or is your prejudice so blindingly thick that you do not see any difference among them fur-ners?

Let me respond to your statements one by one:

Q- "Where was this call for respect when they were "Carving Heads Off" on worldwide TV."

A - Now, how much do you know of the Turkish reaction to these types of crimes against humanity? Obviously, not much, and why bother learning?

" Diyanet Isleri Baskani" the head of the Turkish Islamic Community was the first Muslim leader to condemn 9/11 and also to condemn the killings in Iraq, and claiming that "killing one is no different than killing all", and that "there could never be any justification for murder". There were more than ten Turkish heads that were "carved off" by the same animals, but of course to your kind it is only the American lives that count.
    Are you aware of the fact that Turkey, because she has always sided with the US, has lost more lives to terrorism than the US, and all of Europe combined?

Q - "Where was this call for respect when the slimey scum slaughtered 3000 innocent men women and children on 9/11."

A - The Turkish PM was one of the first to condemn 9/11 and in a previous post I had written about Sam Weems, a retired Arkansas judge who happened to be in Turkey at the time, and how he was received by the average Turk upon learning that he was an American, how people were weeping on the streets. I had also written about Turkish public opinion polls that were around 90% in favor of going to war in Afghanistan against the Taliban and Al Qaida and hunting down Bin Laden, alongside US.
    Turkish troops ARE in Afghanistan today, fighting the real fight.

Q - "Where was this call for respect when Saddam and his Demented sons were butchering human beings and raping little children while they forced the parents to watch."

A - I have never heard of the above accusation, but I will have to guess that
    it must have happened right about the same time when our President was declaring Saddam "a hero, a real friend of the US" because he was fighting against Iran, and the mayor of Detroit was giving Saddam the keys to the city.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  5. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I see....
    So its ok for Muslims (the religion of peace) to burn bibles and American flags on a daily basis, but make 1 crack about Islam and its considered off limits? Who is running this thing? The ACLU?

6. Turk

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Who said any of the above was okay?
    I certainly did not.
    Burning flags, or books of belief of any kind is a reprehensible act and I said so in my e-mail to the North Carolina Church that posted "Koran must be flushed or burnt" on its billboard just as I have condemned these senseless acts by those claiming to be Muslim.

7. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

You may not like it, but it's legal to do all three.

8. ELOrocks17

ELOrocks17 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wista...i was not questioning the legallity of it--I am just sayin that if the muslims play with fire--they are gonna get burned.

9. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +822 / 2 / -9

I don't care if they're from Turkey, Iran, Italy, Germany, Iceland, or Ogden Utah, they are Muslims, we are at war with Muslim Radical Killer Savages and it would be a cold day in hell before I would show those animals "RESPECT".

What you see Rampaging, burning and killing right now are the same Savage Animal Muslims that rammed the Airliners in to NEW YORK CITY.

I don't give sh!t where they live.

10. Turk

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

ADD Boy,
    The letter was co-written by the leaders of Spain and Turkey and nowhere in the letter is anyone asked to show respect for terrorism and or violence.
    Did you even read anything that I wrote?
    I have proven every sophomoric point that you attempted to make to be wrong, and your response is that you do not care.
    Well, good for you.
    I hope your bigotry and hatred keep you warm on those cold Maine nights.

11. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I always thought Bill Russel would kick Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's arse one-on-one. Although Muhammed Ali could probably kill anybody on the planet.

12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +822 / 2 / -9

Ali, nobody could touch him in his day. He could do a lot if he spoke up against their violence, but he "never will", he is a true Muslim.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  13. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The guy's fighting to stay alive fakrissakes. Can he even talk anymore?

14. JLC

JLC Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I don't think he can do much anymore.

Side note: I was in college in Springfield, Mo, in the early 70's. One evening a guy came tearing into the dorm, saying that Ali was having dinner at a local truck stop diner, and did we want to go see him.

I thought he was full of it (as usual), until he and a couple of others returned later all telling the same story - they had eaten with Ali (family and entourage) and sat and talked to him for some time. About that same time, the news came on, and there they were: Maroon Cadillac limo, body guards, family, etc, and Ali. He was, according to them, very down to earth, and kidded with them and they all had a great time.

And I missed it. @#!!$%

15. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +822 / 2 / -9

He was at an event in Chicago a few months ago, "Shadow Boxing" he can make himself known when he wants to.
    But yes, he is in tough shape. He was the worlds greatest boxer in my time.

Just because he is sick and dying doesn't mean I have to fall in love with him, we all die someday.