Welcome to PatsFans.com

A business owner should be allowed to discriminate against:

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Mar 29, 2007.

?

A business owner should be allowed to discriminate against: (mark as many as u want)

1. Straight people

5.9%
  2. White people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Men

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Christians

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Republicans

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Athletes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Tall people

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. People of European descent

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. All of the above

41.2%
  10. None of the above

58.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

The bigotry of the right is incredible, and a few of the righties on this board have said that business owners should be free to discriminate. No wonder the Republican Party has trouble attracting gays, blacks, Latinos, and others. If I'm to believe what some of the people say in this forum, they basically favor the power of the majority or what amounts to White Rights. Note, this isn't an anonymous poll.
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Businesses are required by law to choose one race over another when they hire. Colleges choose students based on race over performance. Legal College fund raising organizations distribute the money to only certain races. Illegal alliens are haded entitlements not available to our own citizens here legally. No wonder the left has such an easy time attracting blacks, latinos gays and others.
  3. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Have you ever seen an illegal immigrant get an "entitlement" and say to yourself "Gee, I wish I could get that"?
  4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

I think you're being ignorant to the fact that some people from your side of the isle tend to do the opposite. While you feel they cite the power of the majority, you tend to point to the power of the minority. Your problem, as is the case with most liberals, is that you look at things in an emotional light, and not with respect individual rights, or reality. I don't think people are supporting discrimination, so much as they are expressing a business owner's rights to choice. Afterall, if Bob risks his hyde to open, and run a business, shouldn't it be up to him to run it as he deems fit? Obviously said owner has to operate with respect to the law, but he should be able to hire and fire as he wishes since it is his money that is on the line.

This isn't about supporting discrimination. It's about supporting a business owner's rights. If a company offers a 10% discount to senior citizens, is that discriminatory to anyone who is not a senior? I think blanket criticisms here are foolish. Discrimination tends to be a matter of specifics.
  5. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Yup. I pay close to $500 a month for medical insurance (and rising) while illegals get medical for free. I wish I could get medical for free. :rolleyes:
  6. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You can do exactly what the illegal do and not pay, just ignore any bills they send you. I promise you won't get turned away at the ER.
  7. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That's not the point. I was making the counter point to the comments on why certain groups may be attracted to one party or another.
  8. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +132 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

The absolute biggest problem with the left right now is their inability to discriminate in anything. They feel that we can no way discriminate against Arabs, so we strip search grandma at the airport. They feel that their is no way that these people can hate us, so it must be OUR fault.

If you own a business, you have every right in the world to serve, cater to, and employ anyone you want.

Lets say you own an accounting firm and you are looking for a new receptionist. A male/female of unnamed race, and or sexual orientation comes in to apply for the job. The person has all the qualitites you are looking for but...

The only problem is they are covered in head to toe in tatoos and have a giant 12" dish inserted into their lower lip.

You have every right in the world not to hire them! This is not the first face you want your customers to see when they are looking for an accountant. Is is discrimination, yes, is it right, yes.

I got yelled at once by my old restuarant boss because I hired this stautuesque blonde to be the new hostess. I couldn't believe he was mad, she was very good at her job, and all the customers loved her, then he pointed out the fact that the entire kitchen and bus crews were spending at least 15 minutes of every hour trying to "chat her up". He told me to look around at his waitressess, everyone of them was 40+ years old. He indicated to me that he did this on purpose for several reasons..

Older women are much more dependable, honest, trustworthy.
    They have little to no childcare issues. They need the money, and rarely call in sick. If you treat them right, they will stay on for decades (which they have). He was absolutely right. If he went and hired young girls, his training and employee turnover would have been massive. Instead he had reliable, constant and excellent wiatresses who have literally worked for him for decades.

Is he discriminating against young people, yes. Is it wrong, no. It is HIS BUSINESS, AND HE IS STILL FREE TO DO WHAT HE WANTS WITH IT!

Everyone wants this to be an indiscriminate society, that utopia simpley can not exsist. The left has lost the ability to discriminate and as such are against everything that is right, works, and leads to prosperirty.
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

Actually, I just think you're not in touch with your emotions and unaware how emotional your responses generally are. I also don't think you know what individual rights are. They are rights we are reasonably entitled to: equality under the law.

But, you see, RW, even in your situation, Bob does not have the right to do as he sees fit. If it wasn't for the law, his community might tell him, "Hey Bob, if you hire black people, we won't go shopping at your business." In that case, the law is not only helping to protect blacks, it's protecting the right of business owners to hire the most qualified person without regard to color or to community prejudice.

Of course it's discriminatory. It's unfair to those who are not senior citizens. Like BF, you tend to believe that our system by nature is perfect. It's not, but we make laws and educate people to make the system work as well as it can. I support discounts to seniors, even though it's unfair, but perhaps it helps compensate for the fact that our economic system, by nature, tends to penalize retirees whose income does not typically keep up with inflation.
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

And I was making the point that you and others exaggerate the problem of illegal immigration by making it sound like illegals are here not working and just taking your money. And Real World says liberals practice emotional arguments!
  11. FreeTedWilliams

FreeTedWilliams pfadmins PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +132 / 31 / -3

#75 Jersey

You won't thin it is exaggerating when the illegals start cutting inot your job, salary.
  12. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

FTW, of course there are many cases where discrimination is necessary, and there's no way these laws can be perfect. Ultimately, perfection comes by improving our education system, our communities, and so on. But, we can try our best to address discrimination directed at groups that might be victimized. Your blond waitress would probably have far less trouble finding a job than a senior citizen, who might be discriminated against because of age. These laws are by no means perfect, but prior to anti-discrimination laws, various groups were blatantly penalized over such things as skin color, religion, and so on.
  13. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It might be exaggerating depending on what I say. Just because there are negative results from illegal immigration doesn't mean you should also pin on them things that aren't true.
  14. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +426 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I think most business owners would hire whoever could best do the job. Some wouldn't but most would. If an owner wants to eliminate a large, or small, percentage of his potential employees for whatever reason, he should be allowed to do so.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

:rofl:

Maybe I need a time out? Emotion has no place in government, or with respect to the law. Laws should be blind and ambiguous. You like to cite the separation of church and state, which is correct. Well, I like to cite the separation of church, state, and emotion. My personal views and what's right and wrong by law will not always agree. What is important is what is legal.

Huh? Bob can hire Shacka Zullu if he wants to. If people don't show up, then so be it, but Bob can do it if he wants to. What Bob shouldn't be forced to do, is hire someone that he doesn't want to hire, because someone else forces him to. A private business should be run at the discretion of the owner. A public company, or any compnay that receives public funding, should be held to federal or state guidelines.

There you go. You're being hypocritical. You say it's unfair, yet you support it, and then make some excuse about economics and the "system". So it's ok for something to be unfair, so long as YOU support it. I see.

I'm going out on a limb here Patters and am going to guess that you've never owned, or run a business.
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You know I would love to play in the NBA. There seems to be a disproportionate number of blacks playing in the league compared to the overall ratio in the US population. That smells of racial discrimination. I think I'll apply and hope affirmative action will help me get a job there. Too bad for the guy that doesn't make it even though he's better than me. Oh well I guess it's worth it as long as the black/white ratios reflect the rest of the population.:confused:

That was obviously tongue in cheek, but seriously, when should it be legislated that the best qualified person not be hired simply because they have a better chance of getting a job elswhere? What if the elswhere does the same thing?
  17. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

Lets not hijack this thread into an illegals debate. If you want to discuss that start a new thread. We already know where Pujo and his bottom line stand on the issue anyway. Better yet, I started one for you guys.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?p=388255#post388255
  18. Real World

Ratings:
    +433 / 5 / -2

I was thinking along those lines too. More interesting is how some talk about the lack of black coaches while citing the percentage of blacks that make up league (or minorities in baseball). Where the question of monority hires is a valid one, what difference does the percentage of athletes and their ethnicity mean to coaching? Should we then use the same logic to wonder why 85% of the NBA players are black, while only 10% of the population is? If the percentages don't jive one way, does it mean they also need to jive in the other? My point is, most people don't look at this objectively, they simply like to look at it in their own narrow way. To me, the best qualified will tend to win out, and ultimately, it should be up to the person who signs the checks to decide who receives them.
  19. Patters

Ratings:
    +185 / 4 / -6

Wrong. In the absence of law you have mob rule. Bob would not be able to hire whoever he wanted if the person he wanted would cause others to avoid his business. Because of the law, there's an equal playing field.

Would you favor getting rid of all laws because some criminals don't get caught? Life is unfair, but we strive towards justice as best we can. There are no perfect laws or rules.

I currently own a business and have for more than two years now.
  20. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

you forgot white males. :rofl: