Welcome to PatsFans.com

A Bush-Cheney Green Energy Project That May Increase America's Proven Natural Gas Res

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by patsfan13, May 22, 2012.

1. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

More good news on the energy front if we choose to take advantage of it.

the 100x increase is just for the Gulf of Mexico this methane hydrate is available in the Arctic, Pacific and Atlantic coasts.

Apparently the filed trial is completed and was successful.

NETL: Methane Hydrates - DOE/NETL Projects

The companies and Feds split the cost. I am fine with the Feds making US gov land areas available for the field trial but I don't think the government should have given the companies the $14M any more than the government should have given Solyndra the $500M.
  2. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: A Bush-Cheney Green Energy Project That May Increase America's Proven Natural Gas

I stopped reading when i saw a story about leon panetta diverting military funding to support green energy. Not exactly an objective site, but whats new.
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +348 / 1 / -9

Re: A Bush-Cheney Green Energy Project That May Increase America's Proven Natural Gas

Now you've done it "Bush Cheney" now you will see some real Biased Bigoted HATE those two Names could cause WWIII, I'm going to add another one to get them Really fired up "Sarah Palin"
  4. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

AL Sharpton
  5. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Not surprised you would bother to check out the links documenting the quantity of methal hydrates available.
  6. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Funny thing is while I like the prospect of expanding our natural gas supplies by more than 100, I did mention in my post that I don't approve of Bush for supplying public tax dollars to help fund the project.
  7. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Its a con job web site, it has an agenda. I wouldn't post something from some ultra left site because i don't believe them either.
  8. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

The article is based of data from the National energy Technology Lab part of the DOE.
  9. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It's interesting how "burn everything" cons will champion "DoE data" that supports their "centuries of clean FF energy" utopian platform, and conversely poo-poo DoE data that assures the world that the most efficient energy source ever found is entering imminent global decline. Classic cognitive dissonance at play, time and time again.

Ah well. Here are the realities of Methane Hydrates:

HowStuffWorks "The Risky Business of Mining Methane Hydrate"

Even if you can situate a rig safely, methane hydrate is unstable once it's removed from the high pressures and low temperatures of the deep sea. Methane begins to escape even as it's being transported to the surface. Unless there's a way to prevent this leakage of natural gas, extraction won't be efficient. It will be a bit like hauling up well water using a pail riddled with holes.

Believe it or not, this leakage may be the least of the worries. Many geologists suspect that gas hydrates play an important role in stabilizing the seafloor. Drilling in these oceanic deposits could destabilize the seabed, causing vast swaths of sediment to slide for miles down the continental slope.

But perhaps the biggest concern is how methane hydrate mining could affect global warming. Scientists already know that hydrate deposits naturally release small amounts of methane. The gas works itself skyward -- either bubbling up through permafrost or ocean water -- until it's released into the atmosphere. Once methane is in the atmosphere, it becomes a greenhouse gas even more efficient than carbon dioxide at trapping solar radiation. Some experts fear that drilling in hydrate deposits could cause catastrophic releases of methane that would greatly accelerate global warming.

But once again, the "burn everything" party refuses to ever calculate environmental disaster into estimated input cost. To them, that's someone else's problem.

Any way you slice it: Plenty of it? Perhaps. But not efficient, not abundantly produced, not cheap, and most important - not safe.
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Bush Cheney "Green" anything is a frickin joke....

reminds me of back in the day when they halted solar panels in the desert for fears of the environmental impact...

yeah you read that correctly....

U.S. Stops Solar Energy Projects Over
  11. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

You hate any promising news the reality is that a project was successfully do what you are saying couldn't be don.

Reality trumps speculation.
  12. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My God. What on Earth are you blathering about now?

I hate 1/10th-the-story nonsense, which you're famous for. There's an enormous difference between "promising news" and hope-based spin.

Don who? The "project was successfully do?" Not 100% certain what you're trying to say here, as your incapacity to actually proof-read your work is showing again. I find it's often in direct correlation to how mad you get.

If you're pretending I'm "saying it can't be done," that's a little like lying that I've said "an electric car can't be done." Of course it "can" be done - and in the test phase, it has been done. Unfortunately, on a mass commercial scale, it has yet to be done, and remains doubtful it ever will.

Way to ignore the environmental risks it poses, as well as the costs associated with those risks. It's what you do.

LOL!

Correct. And on the topic of global energy production, you rely on speculation and untested wild claims, whereas I rely on reality.
  13. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Why not?

Our government supplies public tax dollars to help fund jet fighter programs.

If this could increase our natural gas reserves 100X in a safe manner, only a knee jerk would oppose our government helping this to happen in any way possible.

Some people sound like Christian Scientist parents refusing medicine for their children.
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  14. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

National defense is not an ordinary commercial enterprise. I am opposed to the government acting as VC's for commercial projects. I opposed Solyndra funding so why would I not oppose the same thing when done by a pubbie administration?

I agree, especially since the figure is just for the Gulf the real figure is many times higher. This amount of resource give a realistic way of replacing coal plants as they come off line at the end of their life cycle. It would also defer the need for nuclear at this time.

This quantity of energy this resource could provide for power generation is a game changer, if the results of this Field Trial can be scaled ( I see no indication that it can't be scaled.
  15. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -3

#75 Jersey

Stop and think for a second.

We are talking about the possibility of expanding our natural gas reserves 100x.

Energy is a national security issue.

Instead of blinding chanting your mantra, how about you actually pay attention to what you are talking about?
  16. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

For the opportunity to generate that much revenue energy companies would jump at the opportunity. In this case they did.

The completed project cost ~ $29M the private companies split the cost with the government.

Since the Field Study has concluded successfully the private companies can move onto scaling up the plants. The issue will the the government issuing the proper permits.

The other benefit that the Methance Hydrates, the Green River formation and Bakken offer is the opportunity to solve out financial mess brought on by our debt.

Articles: Real Hope for Ending Federal Debt

Frderal Royalities from the Gren River Formation:

From the Bakken:

The author also points out the Royalities that could be had from coal mining on federal lands:

The mind shudders at the Royalities that could be obtained from the Methane Hydrides.

The fear of course is that the politicians would squander the $$$.
  17. Hebeill

Hebeill Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Don Quixote
  18. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cons loving throwing out fluffy language like "may contain," and "could potentially hold" and "reserves estimated to be" ... they do this to spur blind, dumb investment and get Congress on board and/or out of the way. Rinse, repeat.

It's a lot like illegal police action within Muslim nations, where they demand funding, invade, and worry (or not worry) about proof later.

The truth is, methane hydrate is extremely perilous for the environment, and the costs associated with such extraction most certainly MUST include the damage caused.

Still not as efficient, nor as versatile as sweet, light crude oil, which is rapidly depleting, AND a condition which most certainly led to the sub-prime bubble.

Burning ice crystals isn't gonna fix a world already bleeding from all orifices.
  19. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +126 / 7 / -13

Funny stuff thanks for the laugh but you forgot peak oil.

BTW do you burn stuff to provide electricity for you computer lights, you burn stuff to heat your house and for your transportation. wake us up when your off the grid and saving the planet.
  20. Titus Pullo

Titus Pullo Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I did? How?

Ah yes, classic dumb con logic, whereby if you dare use any modern conveniences, you somehow have no right to advocate. You guys get miles out of that false dichotomy, don't you?

Once again, I have very little doubt I have far less of a carbon footprint than you, and that I'm doing far more to mitigate the problems your "burn everything" fringe have inflicted upon the Earth. For a start, I'm not in complete denial that the condition exists, despite all the symptoms. That would be you.

I see you didn't exactly address a single undeniable point I made in the post. You just trolled in its wake. Again. ... FAIL

I'll let you get back to fluffy language about what "could, technically be estimated to potentially be there." Cool story, bro.