PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Boxscore we Should Revisit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFPatsFan12

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
NFL Game Center: Indianapolis Colts at Jacksonville Jaguars - 2006 Week 14

Yup, that's the soon to be world champion Indianapolis Colts getting absolutely GASHED for 375 rushing yards in an embarrassing 44-17 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Colts managed to get in as a 3 seed, but faced Larry Johnson and the bruising running game of Kansas City. And hell, then they had to face Baltimore and Jamal Lewis in the divisional round if they won... how could they get past those two games with such an atrocious run defense? How can you win in the NFL if you can't stop the run?

Look, last night was disheartening, no doubt. But it really was the first true "egg" laid by this team this year. There is recent precedent for a team with a seemingly fatal flaw LATE in a season to turn it around in time for the playoffs. I've been as disappointed in the in-game adjustments as anyone, but I still think if anyone can get the defense problem (lack of pass rush, first and foremost) fixed, it's BB... call me naive.

This team goes 11-5/12-4. Assuming the Patriots can't get the 2 seed (Cincinatti and San Diego play each other in Week 15, and Cinci has Detroit this week, San Diego has Washington in Week 17), if they can get the 3, they have whatever random flotsam drops into the 6 seed (Denver/Jacksonville/Baltimore) at home. Let's say Cincy gets the 2. They've been a jekyll and hyde team over the year, with a largely solid defense, but does anyone think they can't be beat? If you take of them, then you take your chances in Indy against a team you handled for 3 and a half quarters (or hell, maybe San Diego knocks them off again)...

Last night was absolutely (hopefully?!?) the low point for this season, but there is plenty of reason for optimism. There are 5 games left, against weakish opponents. Get in the dance, and take it from there... it worked for the 2006 Colts (gag)....

I'd like to also look at the boxscore that same month of the Patriots loss by 21 points to the Dolphins.

They looked like they were going nowhere.

The Colts and Patriots ended up playing for all the marbles, and the Patriots SHOULD have won that game, but that's another story...

I looked at that boxscore. While I appreciate your intent, it's a very misleading and false point.

Bob Sanders didn't even play in that game, and when he came back he completely changed that defense for the rest of that season.

What game-changing defensive player are we adding in December?

The only thing that would have as dramatic an impact is bringing Romeo back.

Totally agree. I said something similar in another topic. We just have to worry about winning the division and getting into the playoffs and then it's anyone's ballgame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes