PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Blocking Fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It would be great to pick up a real blocking fullback, one who was drafted to block and has experience blocking. Obviously in the patriots schemes, this player would need to be a receiver and an emergency runner.

We probably wouldn't be able to get one of the NFL's top blocking fullbacks. The teams that have them will want to keep them.

A perfect player would be one that spent his senior year blocking for one of the nation's top backs. It would also help if the players has spent three or three years as an NFL bit player, so that we know they understand the NFL game, and can play.

There is such a player available. He blocked for Rudi Johnson at Auburn. He was drafted in the 3rd round in 2001. See below for his 2001 bio and his college bio

2001: Played in all 16 games, predominately on special teams totaling five tackles. Saw action at fullback in three games versus San Diego (12/2), Dallas (12/16) and Kansas City (1/6/02) and had two rushes for 11 yards. Returned three kickoffs for 40 yards. Had a 49-yard kickoff return at Buffalo (11/18) called back due to a holding call.

College Career

Despite seeing action mostly as a blocker, managed to gain 626 yards on 149 carries with six touchdowns and 354 yards with a score on 30 receptions. Started 16 of 28 games played for Auburn. Junior: Played in 12 games, starting eight at fullback. Collected 260 yards with a pair of touchdowns on 42 carries (6.2 avg.) and caught 15 passes for 107 yards. Rushed a season-high 10 times for 56 yards and a 6-yard touchdown versus Mississippi. Earned Player of the Game honors versus Northern Illinois after catching two passes for 18 yards, making seven knockdown blocks and a crucial block to spring a Rudi Johnson 56-yard scoring run. Rushed four times for 17 yards and a 9-yard touchdown, adding 21 yards on three receptions versus Louisiana Tech. Named Offensive Player of the Game versus Alabama after running five times for 55 yards. Gained a season-high 69 yards on eight carries, caught four passes for 45 yards in the SEC Championship Game versus Florida. Closed out his career versus Michigan in the Citrus Bowl with four receptions for 51 yards and three rushes for 16 yards. Sophomore: Played in every game starting four, while leading the team with 93 carries for 330 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Gained 96 yards on eight catches. Rushed 15 times for 68 yards and a 34-yard touchdown versus Arkansas. Gained 81 yards on 24 carries with an 8-yard score versus Central Florida. Closed out the season versus Alabama with a career-high 83 yards on 21 carries with an 18-yard reception. Freshman: Started at fullback in the team’s first three games. Finished with 14 carries for 36 yards and a pair of touchdowns and caught seven passes for 151 yards and a score. Scored his first career touchdown on a 1-yard run versus Mississippi, finishing with 28 yards on six attempts and 38 yards on a pair of catches. Had a 54-yard touchdown reception versus Louisiana State. Closed out the season with a 23-yard catch and ran for a 1-yard touchdown versus Alabama. Redshirted as a freshman.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Are you interested?? Would it help if this player knew the patriot offensive system? Would it help if the patriots thought a lot of his play?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The player - Heath Evans, FB, New England Patriots

mgteich said:
It would be great to pick up a real blocking fullback, one who was drafted to block and has experience blocking. Obviously in the patriots schemes, this player would need to be a receiver and an emergency runner.

We probably wouldn't be able to get one of the NFL's top blocking fullbacks. The teams that have them will want to keep them.

A perfect player would be one that spent his senior year blocking for one of the nation's top backs. It would also help if the players has spent three or three years as an NFL bit player, so that we know they understand the NFL game, and can play.

There is such a player available. He blocked for Rudi Johnson at Auburn. He was drafted in the 3rd round in 2001. See below for his 2001 bio and his college bio

2001: Played in all 16 games, predominately on special teams totaling five tackles. Saw action at fullback in three games versus San Diego (12/2), Dallas (12/16) and Kansas City (1/6/02) and had two rushes for 11 yards. Returned three kickoffs for 40 yards. Had a 49-yard kickoff return at Buffalo (11/18) called back due to a holding call.

College Career

Despite seeing action mostly as a blocker, managed to gain 626 yards on 149 carries with six touchdowns and 354 yards with a score on 30 receptions. Started 16 of 28 games played for Auburn. Junior: Played in 12 games, starting eight at fullback. Collected 260 yards with a pair of touchdowns on 42 carries (6.2 avg.) and caught 15 passes for 107 yards. Rushed a season-high 10 times for 56 yards and a 6-yard touchdown versus Mississippi. Earned Player of the Game honors versus Northern Illinois after catching two passes for 18 yards, making seven knockdown blocks and a crucial block to spring a Rudi Johnson 56-yard scoring run. Rushed four times for 17 yards and a 9-yard touchdown, adding 21 yards on three receptions versus Louisiana Tech. Named Offensive Player of the Game versus Alabama after running five times for 55 yards. Gained a season-high 69 yards on eight carries, caught four passes for 45 yards in the SEC Championship Game versus Florida. Closed out his career versus Michigan in the Citrus Bowl with four receptions for 51 yards and three rushes for 16 yards. Sophomore: Played in every game starting four, while leading the team with 93 carries for 330 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Gained 96 yards on eight catches. Rushed 15 times for 68 yards and a 34-yard touchdown versus Arkansas. Gained 81 yards on 24 carries with an 8-yard score versus Central Florida. Closed out the season versus Alabama with a career-high 83 yards on 21 carries with an 18-yard reception. Freshman: Started at fullback in the team’s first three games. Finished with 14 carries for 36 yards and a pair of touchdowns and caught seven passes for 151 yards and a score. Scored his first career touchdown on a 1-yard run versus Mississippi, finishing with 28 yards on six attempts and 38 yards on a pair of catches. Had a 54-yard touchdown reception versus Louisiana State. Closed out the season with a 23-yard catch and ran for a 1-yard touchdown versus Alabama. Redshirted as a freshman.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Are you interested?? Would it help if this player knew the patriot offensive system? Would it help if the patriots thought a lot of his play?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

The player - Heath Evans, FB, New England Patriots

Though I was ad to see Patrick Cobbs go, we do have 3 halfback types in Dillon, Maroney & Faulk. Evans, if he can provide the blocking he did at Auburn, and the occasional catch, will be a solid contributor.

a real full blocking fullback that can catch and be an emergency runner. I think they are extremely hard to find if not impossible. I would just like to see one that can block very well, almost be a dominator. that would help maroney immmensely at this point in his career.

Well, that is what we use our tight ends for on either side. When Graham is healthy it isn't really an issue. Besides that didn't we just draft Mills to fill this type of role? Patrick Pass is a pretty good blocker as well, so I do not understand the need to go out and get one. Evans does a decent job as well. As far as a goal line fb, we have a whole defensive line for that.

funny

as i started reading this thread, i immediately thought 'but we have heath evans...?'

ergo, i am in agreement

i almost want to think that BB signing evans and focusing on making him successful was a little bit of a jab at the coach that stole BB's initial FB project that season--kyle eckel...

i almost want to think that BB signing evans and focusing on making him successful was a little bit of a jab at the coach that stole BB's initial FB project that season--kyle eckel...

Good point. Evans catching his first ever NFL TD last week against the Fins may have been more of the same.

Does Miami still own Eckel's rights? To me, that was a **** move by Saban not so much for the Pats but for Eckel himself.

Eckel was signed to Miami's active squad. He didn't have the luxury of sitting around waiting for another opportunity. Saban screwed him and BB by then putting him on a military reserve list. I don't think you can blame the player for this one.

I guess this thread is my way of disagreeing with the threads indicating that Pass will be signed and Evans cut in three weeks, and how the runners might be better with a real fullback. I do indeed believe that Maroney is better with a fullback on the field.

bb can prove me wrong, but I think we have found our fullback for the present and the future.

I like Pass. He is a patriot kind of guy, but he has been injured and to me has never seemed comfortable in the role of regular/starting fullback. Obviously, he never was in college. I always saw him as a special teamer and an option as a running back. I don't think he was ever given much of a chance at that role.

Yes, this is indeed the role for which Mills has been drafted; and perhaps he'll be a better blocker than Evans some time in 2007 or 2008. As of now, he has been healthy and inactive all year, a project. In any case, we now have three players for this critical role (Evans, Pass and Mills) in addition to the TE's.

Flying Fungi said:
funny

as i started reading this thread, i immediately thought 'but we have heath evans...?'

ergo, i am in agreement

mgteich said:

Every draft...I am one of the sicko's that seek out the best blocking backs. Not only that...
I print out all available running backs and small TE's and I CIRCLE THE FATTEST ONES. :p

I then CIRCLE IN RED THE FASTEST/FATTEST ONES. :cool:

Then I circle with a heavy marker the Fastest / Fattest / ones who can catch the ball. :rofl:

Then I watch the draft.. get excited around round 4 and watch Belichick not take any. I fully admit he knows much more than I ever will. he knows what he needs when he shops for the groceries.

I just happen to love old fashioned NFL smashmouth football like the days of old when some teams had 3 RB's. Halfback, Tailback and FB.

Those days are gone ... but I still dream.

I like Heath Evans also ... because I realize he is as close to what I want as Belichick will ever get ... it's the lowest of all priorities in his abilty/value/salary cap scheme as we will ever get. Belichick will never pay much more than minimum for that position unless the guy has hands like "stickum"...and with 3 Super bowl victories who the heck am I to question?

Last edited:
Until the Cincinnati game, I had forgotten that Evans was Rudi Johnson's blocking back. I have noted his improvement throughout the young season. This is good news, because I also believe that Maroney, like most tailbacks, runs more effectively behind a FB. As a fan of smashmouth football as a means of breaking an opponent's will, I wished the Pats had signed Tony Richardson during the offseason. However, if Evans continues to improve his blocking, the running attack should be more consistently effective. LBs and SSs will have to form closer to the LOS. WRs, and TEs and RBs, will face more single coverage and soft zones. TB can utilize play-action in run/pass situations. Given more time to analyze his reads, he can then select the receiver who can maximize the play's potential. Thusly, the offense should become more unpredictable, and more deadly. Quod Erat Demonstrandum: A strong-blocking FB produces a more powerful passing game.

P.S. to BB and JMcD: On 3rd down and short (< 4 yards), please, please, please do not use an Empty Backfield formation. Words cannot describe my displeasure upon seeing it. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes