PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A bit of perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hey guys, we lost, but Gronk ONLY dropped nearly 100 yards and one touchdown on us! We did okay!"

This is the opposite of 'damning by faint praise.'

We're so good that a 4 TD day on the road in Pittsburgh where Gronk is held to just 93 yards and 1 TD is considered average town.

If it wasn't for the Bolden drop and a couple of key 3rd downs by the Steelers this would have been over in the first half

Yes, Blount was a major factor. But the Steelers are not a top-10 run D to begin with, just gave up 200+ yards to some kid named Ajayi(?).

And in the rest of the article, he just points out weird things that make no sense. He talks about Gronk's numbers not being superb, when in fact, they're record-setting. Then he says they held up well against Brady and points to RAT, as Brady had 113.4 RAT coming into the game. Except he finished with 124.1 RAT against the Steelers.

If he had mentioned passing yards, sure. But otherwise, it's just another poorly-written, inaccurate article from another ESPN writer.

I think you're reading too much into him saying Gronk's game wasn't superb.

Was Blount's game superb? I would call it very good but not sure if I'd say superb. That would be 2,032 yards and 32 TDs over an entire season.

No one said he should be crowned. He's a good NFL running back in 2016

I don't think that can be debated....yet

I'm not even sure I'm ready to concede he's a good NFL running back yet.

He's had 2 excellent games back-to-back. But prior to those games, he hadn't even broken 45 yards in a game. In his first 4 games, he had 31 carries for 117 yards (3.8 YPC).

He might be emerging and the last 2 games are evidence of that. Or he might have just hit some big runs (2 50+ runs, which are not sustainable) against some teams stacked up to prevent the pass. It's way too early to tell.

I think you're reading too much into him saying Gronk's game wasn't superb.

Was Blount's game superb? I would call it very good but not sure if I'd say superb. That would be 2,032 yards and 32 TDs over an entire season.

It goes beyond just the Gronk bit. It's about how many media members have no clue what the hell they're writing most of the time.

We're conditioned to believe that 100 yards is a good game for running backs and 100 yards for a WR and 300 yards for a QB. Why? Where do these arbitrary marks come from? 4,000 yard seasons are supposed to be big, but that means the QB has to average 250 yards to hit that milestone. Nobody thinks 250 yards is a big game from a QB though. Blount's yards today would give him over 2,000 in a season as you pointed out. And Gronk's numbers would be record setting.

Yet we use arbitrary milestones of 100 yards or 300 yards to decide if someone had a big day. But those don't correlate to big years. A RB or WR who hits 1,000 yards is considered a good player, but that's only 63 yards a game. If Blount averaged 63 yards per game, nobody would be happy about that performance until the end of the year, when we'd be thrilled we had a 1,000 yard rusher. And people in the media don't think about these things, they just use the same arbitrary stats they've been brainwashed into thinking as milestones.

Gronk didn't hit 100 yards today so the D must have done a good job. Brady didn't throw for as many yards, ignoring the fact he also had way fewer attempts because of the effectiveness of the run game. He still averaged over 8.5 YPA and completed over 70% of his passes but they zero in on one or two stats and miss the entire picture. And then he points out that they did a good job against Brady, who had a career 113.3 RAT against them. Only he did even better than that. It's just poorly-researched, lazy, and unprofessional.

I don't mean to rant at you, but it's a lot of things, and Fowler is not the only one guilty of this, just the latest of the million mediots banging on keyboards trying to spit out something clickable.

so were interest rates...:mad:

Any team that plays us defaults to blaming the refs. Steelers fans are doing it now.

And cheating.

Got to ask though, if the Pats are only successful because of cheating, why aren't all of the other teams doing it?

Last edited:
"Hey guys, we lost, but Gronk ONLY dropped nearly 100 yards and one touchdown on us! We did okay!"
It's a bit of an odd statement; wouldn't it make more sense to point to Brady's line as the, fine but not great, example?

After 7 weeks the Patriots:
  • have the best record in the NFL
  • have the longest win streak in the AFC
  • have allowed the fewest points in the AFC
  • play only three teams with a winning record in their last nine games (Seattle, Denver and Buffalo.)

Last edited:
What's the NFL record for most games to start the season with ZERO interceptions?
Plus, what's the record for attempts to start a season without INT? The three Patriots QBs have 216 attempts between them.

Let's not crown his ass just yet...

Fair enough. No one is crowning anything. But he finds and hits the hole, makes them miss, churns, runs low, squares upfield and runs through tacklers. And the first thing he did postgame was credit his OL.

Any team that plays us defaults to blaming the refs. Steelers fans are doing it now.

Your point is valid but to be fair I should explain in further detail (dusting off my logic knowledge)....

Every team that loses blames the refs.

Every team that plays the Patriots loses.

Therefore every team that plays the Patriots blames the refs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back