PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A bad year for DBs in both free agency and the draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Reporting is suggesting that, in FA and the draft alike, this is a weak year for CBs and a lousy one for safeties. If that is correct, then it suggests that the Pats have to do some combination of:

• Beat the odds.
  • Make do with what they have.
  • Strengthen the pass rush to protect a questionable secondary.

In particular, absent good luck, the safety corps will consist of:

• Chung
  • JAGs
  • Natural CBs
That said, on nickel downs I don't see the harm in having the DB corps be:

• Chung
  • 4 natural CBs
And even in a base formation, I don't see why McCourty or Arrington couldn't play the safety role.

What I do worry about is that safeties really need to avoid mental mistakes, and I'm not sure where that mental accuracy is supposed to come from in a new young guy, or in a moonlighting CB.

Last edited:
Beat the odds? How about using some currency you are flush with, picks for example, and peering lose a player that would otherwise be locked up. A RFA, or just a player desired FAIK, think the lead up to 07. Poor year for an area of need, and we trade a second and fourth (and I think a late round throw in for Wes to calm the waters?) for a valued player and disgruntled locker room cancer with HOF talent. Why not go that route this year?

Is Troy Palaumalu (doubt he'd get traded, but he was injured last year and that defense isn't getting any younger, they'd probably sniff out an excellent lb with the pick) the next Rodney? I don't know what his contract situation is. Could Leonard be the next Jests casualty?

Maybe we look to beef up the front seven? Spikes seems to have a 2 cent head, also don't envision gin sticking around with free agency. Who plays Olb? DE? Pressure up front could do wonders for these kids.

Finally, what I expect to enjoy a lot this season, where will Edelman see most his reps? Where will he make use of said reps well. I am no expert, but so remember thinking he showed zero fear to mix it up on defense, and obviously needs to work in his tackling. Maybe he breaks out at wr if he isn't being depended on fire the defensive secondary. I'd have to imagine after seeing some time on the other side of things last year must be an aid to reading a defense and getting on the same page as Brady? And didn't he hurt Fake LT last year or at least shake him up before someone else got his leg? That has to count for something...

I agree and think there are 2 ways of attacking the weakness:

1. We do what you said, and use a possibility of more "CB based" looks at FS. We already have 3 guys at CB that could possibly play the position, and are more of a versatile, hybrid role in McCourty, Moore, and Dowling. The possibility exists to add another specific player such as Richard Marshall, who has played both positions (CB and FS) in an effective manner. Or, we could also draft a more pure CB based player straight up in the draft, or in FA--and move one of the mentioned 3 (Moore, McCourty, Dowling) over to FS at least in sub packages.

2. Draft, or add a FS such as Harrison Smith or Reggie Nelson through the off-season process.

I think that it may take some creativity, as you say, but we should be in a better position than last year when it comes down to it.

I think the answer lies in attacking the problem through BOTH the draft and FA process, even if that means choosing a lower level acquisition in free agency.

The Draft is loaded at CB, as is FA. Not sure what you've been reading, but it's full of wrong.

Remember that the Pats have already added a DB with Ras-I's return. He may be better than any player in the draft or free agency.

The Draft is loaded at CB, as is FA. Not sure what you've been reading, but it's full of wrong.

Yeah, it is safeties where both the draft and free agency is deficient, not CB. I am no draftnick so I don't know the top prospects, but Courtland Finnegan, Brandon Carr, LaDarius Webb (RFA and will cost a first round), Carlos Rogers, and a few others are all solid to great CBs. In fact, you can argue that other than WR, CB is the most fertile position in free agency.

Last edited:
You can add Tyrell Thomas, Tracy Porter and Richard Marshall to that.

I'd love Thomas.

I found our third rounder: Markelle Martin.

Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

He's tough, smart, productive and -- above all -- injured.

Similarly Omar Bolden

Omar Bolden, Arizona State, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Both these guys seem like good fits especially if Martin can really run 4.43; that would make him the fastest safety in the class. And Martin seems to have a Patriots work ethic.

CB / Safety has to be a top need area for the Patriots so that means....they will draft a Center with the first pick or something equally surprising.

The only 1st round value at safety is Barron but his health is questionable. I wouldn't be surpised to see the Pats go after either Smith, Martin or Iloka in the draft. They may also see if cb's like Leonard Johnson are available along with FA Webb from the Ravens. I wouldn't be surpised if the Pats draft more than one safety in the draft but FA's like Webb will cost a 1st rd pick and BB won't do it.
My prediction, the Pats sign a FA cornerback, draft one safety in the second round and another safety in the third. I could see the Pats picking two of the three avaiable...Smith, Martin or Iloka. Chung is a good player but injury prone and even though the safety class is weak this year, they need at least one starting safety from the draft.

It would be nice if we got Finnegan, but I cringe at the thought of what would happen when we face the Texans.

It would be nice if we got Finnegan, but I cringe at the thought of what would happen when we face the Texans.

No way Belichick pays that kind of money for Finnegan, in my opinion anyway.

I think there are some more realistic options for less money, and they may be the better route for this team (or any team, for that matter) than Cortland Finnegan.

We'll find out soon enough though.

Martin is fast, but I still wouldn't trust him back deep. Does not tackle well and is geometrically challenged.

Does not tackle well and is geometrically challenged.

Meriweather is going thru the draft process all over again? Interesting. :eek:

I might be crazy, but I think a CB corps of McCourty-Dowling-Arrington-Moore is fine and we don't need to spend a high round pick or a lot of money in FA at that position. However, safety should be a top priority. Preferably one who can cover.

I think the most obvious need is a BALLHAWK. Chung is decent, McCorty is a decent tweener, and Arrington had 7 picks in the first 8 games or something. Arrington could be that guy but depth is an obvious issue. I would look deeper into the draft for a no name with marginal measurables but big play ability(INTs). Rambo out of GA is a possibility.

I might be crazy, but I think a CB corps of McCourty-Dowling-Arrington-Moore is fine and we don't need to spend a high round pick or a lot of money in FA at that position. However, safety should be a top priority. Preferably one who can cover.

You may not be as crazy as you think. It's certainly a possibility, as only a handful of coaches know their thoughts on this right now.

The problem is, there are not a lot of decent options/fits at the traditional sense of FS in the draft/FA, so Belichick may resort to thinking outside of the box to handle it.

I am guessing that they definitely take at least a top 3 round draft pick in the secondary position, and that they also bring in some other competition to battle for the right to play. I don't think they'll target anyone significant in the free agency signings, although I'd love a guy like R.Marshall who could possibly play both S and CB. Definitely not some of the names that people are throwing around though, and certainly not a guy who costs as much as Finnegan.

This isn't so crazy if 3 things happen-
1.D-Mac returns to his rookie form.
2. Dowling can stay healthy
3. Sterling Moore can start where he left off last year.

If those happen we have a pretty damn good DB group

Last edited:
Love Marshall
He's the kind of signing this team makes he's a solid player in my eyes more than just a Jag not a liability on the field but not a shutdown corner in any sense of the word, In all honesty I think the secondary is fine, we need a pass rush, praying for a Mario Williams, if that doesn't happen a Nick Perry via draft, I don't want to spend 5 plus of our cap room on a Mark Anderson, he can go to the highest bidder, Washington, Tampa?

I honestly think we may draft a defensive back but I don't see signing a big name in free agency, call me crazy I like our guys their young their gelling, they can only get better, I'd love to add a Gilmore in this draft but we'd have to take him at 31 and my hope is that's packaged with a bow to Pittsburgh for a Mike Wallace, cause I shudder to think of Belichick drafting a receiver high, but I love Quick in the third round, and may bring in Gonzalez for a work out if he is healthy.

Oh, and earlier today I was watching the Pats/Fins game from week 1 on NFLN; Dowling looked very good at times. Again if he just stays healthy. Also; maybe if McCourty stays at CB Dowling could possibly play FS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes