PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A 2008 draft day scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
running backs drop. Steven Jackson was a freak coming out of college. An absolute beast. He had everything going for him. There was only a couple other highly rated RBs that year. He dropped to the end of the first round.

Petersen was an easy top five pick last year, but dropped to seven.

McFadden, who isn't as good a NFL prospect as Jackson or Peterson IMO, will drop too unless a team really needs an RB. I don't know that Oakland will pick him up. They have a lot of needs and Lamont Jordan is still serviceable.

I was using this to explain to Richter that QB and WR are not the "safest investments". Where as the RB position overall are a far more safer investment in terms of there draft ratings as well as how they perform in the NFL.

running backs drop. Steven Jackson was a freak coming out of college. An absolute beast. He had everything going for him. There was only a couple other highly rated RBs that year. He dropped to the end of the first round.

Petersen was an easy top five pick last year, but dropped to seven.

McFadden, who isn't as good a NFL prospect as Jackson or Peterson IMO, will drop too unless a team really needs an RB. I don't know that Oakland will pick him up. They have a lot of needs and Lamont Jordan is still serviceable.

I was using this to explain to Richter that QB and WR are not the "safest investments". Where as the RB position overall are a far more safer investment in terms of there draft ratings translating to how they perform in the NFL.

I was using this to explain to Richter that QB and WR are not the "safest investments". Where as the RB position overall are a far more safer investment in terms of there draft ratings as well as how they perform in the NFL.

You missed my original point. It has nothing to do with the safest investment, because I don't consider that a factor with the Patriots, as the current regime doesn't blow first round picks. The Patriots won't be drafting a QB or WR that high, we know that, and it's unlikely they draft a RB. The point was, were all things equal, the value of the position on the field to the Patriots is RB third behind QB and WR. The way the rules are set up now, a stud running back, even one that is significantly better than a baseline replacement, just isn't as conducive to winning as a QB, and to a lesser extent, a game-breaking WR. With Brady in place, that value drops even further - Maroney and Morris are more than enough to compliment a tremendous passing game facilitated by a great QB. I agree that McFadden is tremendous, and comparable to Adrian Peterson, but I don't think it's worth it to the team to invest that much money in a position that they don't value as highly and don't need as much to succeed, regardless of how much safer an investment a top player at that position might be.

Also, Cedric Benson, Curtis Enis, Ki-Jana Carter, Blair Thomas, Lawrence Phillips, Tim Biakabutuka, Tommy Vardell and Rashaan Salaam say hi. (And those are just guys that from the 90's on that I could come up with off the top of my head.)

Ya because the stellar reputation of the Pats' front office was built off of things like sacrificing top 6 picks for 32 year old players at positions where we have exemplary depth.

I have a more realistic scenario that I was thinking about today:

Minnesota.

They need, need, NEED a Quarterback. The best move for them would be to go after Pennington, or even Donovan after he bounces from Philly, but there is going to be competition for them in places like Chicago, Miami, Carolina, etc.

What they really need is a young guy to step in, a Colt Brennan or Brian Brohm. You get Peterson and a young top 6 QB, and they could be a force in the NFC. Now, assuming their pick is in the 15-20 range, why not snatch their first and second (more likely third). OR get Chester Taylor and their 1st? There's a lot of win-win in this scenario. Best case is we could get their 1st and 2nd, and draft some linebackers.

More I think about it, I think this makes a lot of sense.

Ya because the stellar reputation of the Pats' front office was built off of things like sacrificing top 6 picks for 32 year old players at positions where we have exemplary depth.

I have a more realistic scenario that I was thinking about today:

Minnesota.

They need, need, NEED a Quarterback. The best move for them would be to go after Pennington, or even Donovan after he bounces from Philly, but there is going to be competition for them in places like Chicago, Miami, Carolina, etc.

What they really need is a young guy to step in, a Colt Brennan or Brian Brohm. You get Peterson and a young top 6 QB, and they could be a force in the NFC. Now, assuming their pick is in the 15-20 range, why not snatch their first and second (more likely third). OR get Chester Taylor and their 1st? There's a lot of win-win in this scenario. Best case is we could get their 1st and 2nd, and draft some linebackers.

More I think about it, I think this makes a lot of sense.

They are definitely a team I would target. I think their pick will be higher than 15-20, because they're a really bad offensive team outside of Peterson. If they fall in love with one of the top QBs, and we finish with a very high pick, I would definitely try to move the pick to them for their first, their next year's first and a few additional picks or players. No Chester Taylor though.

now your talkin'...Barber and Maroney back together again!

Love to see it happen, but unless the Cowboys are trading up for McFadden (which IS a distinct possibility, down here in Cowboy land it's all they're talking about when they aren't fellating Romo or T.O.), it's unlikely.

Last edited:
My ideal draft day scenario is that we trade our number one pick back to San Fransico for Patrick Willis. We can throw Merriweather and Chad Jackson into the deal before they officially attain bust status.

What is the Pats get the 4th pick but let the clock run out on their pick (ala the Vinkings) until the pick gets to their value range, likely 8-15.

More than likley they trade back at any cost but it would be funny as hell if they just let the clock run out...

Background - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1545117
* As it worked out Kevin Williams was a very good pick. JOHNATHAN SULLIVAN hahaha, snicker CHARLES ROGERS hahahaha.

never gonna happen, the NFL would impliment a rule aganst that immediately. i could see the NFL penalizing a team pushing all their subsequent picks back that number of spots.

it would be foolish to just give up value like that.

James Laurenaitis, LB, THE Ohio State University

I love James Laurinaitis as ILB, great speed, intelligence, and aggressive.
I also like Dan Connor of Penn State, he plays both OLB and ILB, a versatility player BB love.

As for Darren McFadden, it would be nice as well, only issue is the salary cap.

Please list all our third rounders in the last ten years.

Trade down, to 10-15 and draft OSU's Laurenaitus to take Tedy's spot and pick up an extra 3rd round pick, giving them 3 pick's in round 3 where they've had real good success.

McFadden, who isn't as good a NFL prospect as Jackson or Peterson IMO
  • McFadden generally grades out better than either Jackson or Peterson did.
  • I'd be shocked if he doesn't time faster than both of them too.
  • He is kicking butt playing for a bad Arkansas team.
  • Nobody wants to miss out on a 2nd chance to get AP-like production.
  • Jerry Jones went to Arkansas and has 2 1st round picks (btw, how much does he hate Derek Anderson at this point?)

will drop too unless a team really needs an RB.

Doesn't that apply to everyone at every position at the top of the 1st round? You don't see many teams saying "you know, we really don't need a <insert position here> but we'll take this guy anyway". Cap hit it too high for a player that you don't "really need".

That being said, I can't see STL, MIA, NYJ, CIN or MIN taking McFadden. That still leaves a whole bunch of teams near the top of the draft (and the previously mentioned Jerry Jones) potentially competing for McFadden between picks 4 and 10...OAK, ATL, ARZ, DEN, CHI, PHI, HOU.

Unfortunately James Laurinaitis is a junior and may not declare early for the 2008 NFL Draft.

Apparently Rey Maualuga has already announced he is returning to USC. If true, that takes a 1st round ILB prospect off the board.

I would LOVE it if Marion the Barbarian came to New England. I love the way that guy plays. Him and Maroney would be a blast to watch...

But i don't care about the draft chart. I don't see how Dallas would ever trade both of their 1st rounders AND Barber for a top 5 pick.
I just don't think so.

I would think they'd trade one of them, a 2nd, and barber at most.

Of course i'd like it though. that would be just sick.

I would LOVE it if Marion the Barbarian came to New England. I love the way that guy plays. Him and Maroney would be a blast to watch...

But i don't care about the draft chart. I don't see how Dallas would ever trade both of their 1st rounders AND Barber for a top 5 pick.
With Jerry Jones anything is possible, especially when you consider that Darren McFadden plays for Jones' alma mater.

I would stay away from the Ohio State backer (won't even try to spell his name), he was exposed big time against Florida. I just don't think he has the skills to be a solid pro. The OSU LB that is a stud is Marcus Freeman, now that kid can play.

This thread was started by saying trade for Taylor of Miami...NO! The reasons are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down