PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A 2008 draft day scenario

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of today the pats have the 7th overall pick.......keep sucking frisco!

Last edited:
I hope for the love of all things Holy that we somehow get Darren McFadden. You guys have no clue how good this kid is. Dude rushed for 323 yards last week and averages about 7 yards a carry despite opposing teams always putting 8 men in the box because of Arkansas lack of a passing game. He will no doubt be better than A. Peterson and we would be stupid not to take him, given the opportunity. Right now, Green Bay desperately needs a RB, but since they are doing very well this season, they will most likely miss out on Felix Jones. Though Jon Stewart is also a good back, Maroney is a better overall player. Greenbay will take the bait if Felix is not available and we could land another first round draft pick and fill our defensive need. If McFadden was not available, then the best choice would be to definately trade down. But we can not miss on a player like this, i guarentee you that... this kid is special and will be the most feared RB in the league for a long time. Just Imagine Moss, Brady and McFadden on offense. WOW! No team in the NFL has a chance of stopping that.

Last edited:
I hope for the love of all things Holy that we somehow get Darren McFadden. You guys have no clue how good this kid is. Dude rushed for 323 yards last week and averages about 7 yards a carry. He will be better than Peterson and we would be stupid not to take him, given the opportunity. Right now, Green Bay desperately needs a RB, but since they are doing very well this season, they will most likely miss out on Felix Jones. Though Jon Stewart is also a good back, Maroney is a better overall player. Greenbay will take the bait if Felix is not available and we could land another first round draft pick and fill our defensive need.

I've thought about this too, but I just can't bring myself to think about drafting a running back that high. It's just not as important a position as people make it out to be. You're much better off in the NFL currently with investing your money in a top QB and WR than a RB. And McFadden is going to go top 3, if not number one overall, which means a huge guaranteed contract. If we're at 7 or 8 and he somehow drops there, I'll think about it. Otherwise, trade down.

We need a surge of youth at the lb position. The rest of the defense is young aside from old man Harrison and the lb's.

I say trade down for a top notch lb in the first round and net a pick for 2009. We have so many picks this year. We need a corner and pos a saftey also.

Last edited:
I've thought about this too, but I just can't bring myself to think about drafting a running back that high. It's just not as important a position as people make it out to be. You're much better off in the NFL currently with investing your money in a top QB and WR than a RB. And McFadden is going to go top 3, if not number one overall, which means a huge guaranteed contract. If we're at 7 or 8 and he somehow drops there, I'll think about it. Otherwise, trade down.

RB is one of the most consistent talent transfer of any position in the NFL, with WR coming at a close second. If you dont beleive me, just look at the RB draft history in this era, all of the high picks have done phenomenal thus far. On the opposite end the QB position is by far the hardest to accurately translate over to the NFL. Again take a look at the draft in this era and it shows how many high QB picks were made in the first round who in retrospect clearly were not worth such high picks.

As far as McFadden being a top 3, i dont know about that because of the current needs of the teams that are elible for him. For example, the Rams would not take McFadden because they have Steven Jackson. The Dolphins would not take McFadden because they have Ronnie brown, the Falcons will most likely draft a QB. The Jets could possibly want him, but they are in desperate need of defensive talent. The Raiders on the other hand would be a perfect candidate for picking up McFadden. So lets hope that the 49rs just completely tank the rest of the season, behind the Dolphins and Rams.

Last edited:
The Patriots get the 49ers pick, say it is between 5 and 10.

Now, it is pretty likely that BB will want to trade the pick....

Ladies and gentleman, the Patriots have traded their first round pick to the Miami Dolphins for Jason Taylor, and the Miami Dolphins second round pick (32nd overall).

Despite the NFL's attempt to take away the Patriots' pick, the Super Bowl champions get a "second rounder" with the same 32nd pick that got taken away. Oh, and they get Jason Taylor.

Could it happen?

Its very likely the Pats will trade down with the pick if its in the Top 10 and even if its in the Top 5. Not sure what precisely is the trade value in return... I hope its to a team thats willing to give up their 1st and 3rd (or 4th) round picks in 2008 and a 1st rounder in 2009. My point here is if they trade down they must get good multiple picks in return.

The Pats could trade for Jason Taylor, but not with the Top 10 pick... I could see the Pats giving Miami a late Day 1 or early Day 2 pick plus a roster player (Matt Cassel maybe?) in exchange for JT.

Like you Ice, I like JT a lot, but not enough to give Miami our greatest bargaining chip in this draft in a long time. Besides, doesn't the Dolphins already on the inside track to have a high pick (within the Top 4) in this draft?

Last edited:
Jason Taylor for a top 5 first round pick. I dont care if you throw in a second rounder. What are you insane?

Exactly, i would be reluctant to give up one of our 2 - 3rd rounders in 2008 for JTaylor, he's on the back-nine.

Its very likely the Pats will trade down with the pick if its in the Top 10 and even if its in the Top 5. Not sure what precisely is the trade value in return... I hope its to a team thats willing to give up their 1st and 3rd (or 4th) round picks in 2008 and a 1st rounder in 2009. My point here is if they trade down they must get good multiple picks in return.

The Pats could trade for Jason Taylor, but not with the Top 10 pick... I could see the Pats giving Miami a late Day 1 or early Day 2 pick plus a roster player (Matt Cassel maybe?) in exchange for JT.

Like you Ice, I like JT a lot, but not enough to give Miami our greatest bargaining chip in this draft in a long time. Besides, doesn't the Dolphins already on the inside track to have a high pick (within the Top 4) in this draft?

Matt Cassell will never be trade bait,He will probably someday be picked up by a desperate team looking for QB depth after the Pats cut him which probably will be next year when the Pats will probably move Guiterrez up 1 notch,Let Cassell go and draft a QB in the middle to late rounds or maybe a JAG in FA.

The ideal draft day scenario:

http://football.about.com/od/nfldraft/a/nfldraftorder.htm

Trade the 4th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft to the Dallas Cowboys for the 22nd pick, the 31st pick, and running back Marion Barber.

4th pick 1800 pts
22nd pick 780 pts
31st pick 600 pts

Trade down, to 10-15 and draft OSU's Laurenaitus to take Tedy's spot and pick up an extra 3rd round pick, giving them 3 pick's in round 3 where they've had real good success.

Trade down, to 10-15 and draft OSU's Laurenaitus to take Tedy's spot and pick up an extra 3rd round pick, giving them 3 pick's in round 3 where they've had real good success.
James Laurinaitis is a junior at Ohio State and may not declare early for the 2008 NFL Draft.

James Laurinaitis is a junior at Ohio State and may not declare early for the 2008 NFL Draft.

I guarantee he declares, he's in all the mocks, what great Jr stays in school and turns down the opportunity for fear of injury?

He'll look great in Patriot blue next to Adalius.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt Cassell will never be trade bait. He will probably someday be picked up by a desperate team looking for QB depth after the Pats cut him which probably will be next year when the Pats will probably move Guiterrez up 1 notch,Let Cassell go and draft a QB in the middle to late rounds or maybe a JAG in FA.

You tell that to those who are still convinced the Pats QB corp is a produce market (MoLewisRocks among them).

I'm just throwing out Cassel as an example of a roster player being packaged in a trade for JT because I cannot see the Pats giving up more than one draft pick for him.

Matt Leinart. Does he ring a bell?

Hey Tipp, you got a great signature I like that.

You know what, how's this, let's hope Laurinaituis comes out, how's that. Because let's assume we're picking 7th when it's all said and done. Lauri isn't projected to go until the 13-15 window. That sets up perfectly for BB, we trade down to that window get that stud to replace Tedy and grab either an extra 3rd or 4th rounder. With the 2cond and 2-3rds we focus on corners and OL depth. People keep forgetting that we stole Oakland's 3rd round pick also, I mean that's basically a low second rounder. Can you imagine if we still had our original #32 pick. Unreal, no wonder why everyone can't stand us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Miami will trade JT to the Pats, because they are trying to unload in payroll to make room for newer talent. Not to mention, JT would really like to play for a contender seeing how he only has a few good years left in him. Pats will give up a third rounder to Miami, if JT can re negotiate his contract with the Pats. Its a win win situation for both sides.

With that in mind, we need Darren McFadden, or like another poster posted if possible get Dalla's 2 first rounders and Marion the Barbarian.

Last edited:
Miami will trade JT to the Pats, because they are trying to unload in payroll to make room for newer talent. Not to mention, JT would really like to play for a contender seeing how he only has a few good years left in him. Pats will give up a third rounder to Miami, if JT can re negotiate his contract with the Pats.

With that in mind, we need Darren McFadden, or like another poster posted if possible get Dalla's 2 first rounders and Marion the Barbarian.

thatd be an insane trade. Barber + 2 first rounders for a top 5 pick. Im down.

Barber and Maroney ..like they did in college. thats jsut sick. then we have 2 first rounders..if we really want "1" player..we can move up if we need to to top 15 or we can just take 2 players..an LB and a corner possibly

I really want Malcom or Mike Jenkins. Rumor has it Rey Maulaga (spelling) is going back to USC with Brian Cushing and Keith Rivers is the only LB from there coming out.

ideal situation if that ever happened.. Pick 21-23 or w.e, Mike Jenkins, CB South Florida. Pick 31 or whatever Cowboys become take a guy like Vernon Gholston or Erin Henderson,

RB is one of the most consistent talent transfer of any position in the NFL, with WR coming at a close second. If you dont beleive me, just look at the RB draft history in this era, all of the high picks have done phenomenal thus far. On the opposite end the QB position is by far the hardest to accurately translate over to the NFL. Again take a look at the draft in this era and it shows how many high QB picks were made in the first round who in retrospect clearly were not worth such high picks.

As far as McFadden being a top 3, i dont know about that because of the current needs of the teams that are elible for him. For example, the Rams would not take McFadden because they have Steven Jackson. The Dolphins would not take McFadden because they have Ronnie brown, the Falcons will most likely draft a QB. The Jets could possibly want him, but they are in desperate need of defensive talent. The Raiders on the other hand would be a perfect candidate for picking up McFadden. So lets hope that the 49rs just completely tank the rest of the season, behind the Dolphins and Rams.

running backs drop. Steven Jackson was a freak coming out of college. An absolute beast. He had everything going for him. There was only a couple other highly rated RBs that year. He dropped to the end of the first round.

Petersen was an easy top five pick last year, but dropped to seven.

McFadden, who isn't as good a NFL prospect as Jackson or Peterson IMO, will drop too unless a team really needs an RB. I don't know that Oakland will pick him up. They have a lot of needs and Lamont Jordan is still serviceable.

man, i just want an extreme force in the inside LB position for the Pats...

i want a patrick willis for NE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back